MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning question

Percysgirl

I'm canning stock tonight, and my last batch will be done late. I was wondering if it would be ok to turn the stove off, slide it off of the burner, and leave it until tomorrow morning and just let it cool down slowly inside the canner. If it isn't a good idea to do that, then I'll have to do that last round tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

No, because there is a thermal loving bacteria that can rapidly grow if you leave it in the canner. Your food would be unsafe to eat. Plus, you can get a reverse vacuum on the canner and you will NEVER be able to get the lid off. Trust me, it happens. You then have to throw away the pressure canner, food inside, as well.

Oh Percysgirl,

Think terrible...horrible...the WORST stuck lid you can imagine. Then add broken glass, a smell, and hours of time trying to remove a lid that won't budge.

When I was taking a canning class this summer one of the ladies said she did this and she had to have her husband take a hack saw and CUT OFF the lid, ruining the pot in the process...by that time there was broken glass, etc. and everything was ruined.

I know it's a drag staying up those few extra minutes to wait for something to cool, but that's when I brush my teeth, remove what cosmetics are still on after canning, and get ready for bed. I've often taken jars out of the canner in my bathrobe then stumbled to bed.

Most people who can consider it a cardinal sin to EVER leave ANYTHING in the canner with the lid on to cool down by itself....

Please, please, please don't do it. smile

bighug

Funny how there are different was of doing things in different places. The French actually say to leave the canner til cold...and some recipes say to can for a certain time, leave the canner til cold, and then can it a bit more the next day.

I's say it's ok to let the canner cool overnight...although it might overcook things a bit.

Crazy,

Can you imagine losing your canner after all of the work,time, and food you put in your canner ?

I have had people tell me they didn't think this was true, only to have it happen to them. A hard lesson to learn.

Hey, I just found out you can ignore posts from individuals. I keep finding new features.

So, when do you remove the lid? I know to take the weight off as soon as the dial says 0 right? I have been having trouble with my lid getting stuck on my new all american. I figure i am doing something wrong--maybe I am leaving it on too long--Please enlighten me. bouquet

Thanks Violet and Canning Nerd!! That is exactly what I have been doing wrong. I have been waiting for the canner to cool off to the touch. That is why I have been getting that air lock on the lid. This All American is a whole new deal to me.

I have now had a (((duh))))) moment. rofl

Deerslayer, if you have to do other things, I've found it pretty reliably to take about 20 minutes in my house to reach 0 pressure (around ten minutes) and then the additional ten afterwards. So I just set timer for 20 minutes when I turn off heat and vent.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a weighted gauge, how long do I wait after its done processing to take it off? I have had a hard time getting my jars to stay full and now im wondering if I am leaving them in the canner too long afterwards. I leave an inch of headspace but then I always wind up with another half-1 inch lower in the jar.

Depressurization of older canner models without dial gauges should be timed. Standard size heavy-walled canners require about 30 minutes when loaded with pints and 45 minutes when loaded with quarts. Newer thin-walled canners cool more rapidly and are equipped with vent locks that are designed to open when the pressure is gone. These canners are depressurized when the piston in the vent lock drops to a normal position. Some of these locks are hidden in handles and cannot be seen; however, the lid will not turn open until the lock is released.

After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent port or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully. Lift the lid with the underside away from you so that the steam coming out of the canner does not burn your face.

This should give you an approx. time to go by.

Also, it depends upon what you are canning as to how much headspace. Not all foods should have 1 inch. Check the current guidelines and use them in determining headspace.

Normally you lose liquid if you have the pressure fluctuate too quickly in the canner or you are removing them before the last 10 min. is up. You remove the weight once the pressure is down, wait 10 min., then open up the canner and remove the jars.

Also make sure you are tightening the spring lids only "finger tight". If they are on too tight it hampers the normal purging process of that headspace air and you could have a sudden massive release and cause a loss of half your jar contents.

Lots of little details to keep track of that involve the quality of the final product.

Archived