MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is Anyone Trying To Lose Weight?

twilap

I was Diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes this past October and nearly fainted when I tipped the scales at 267.75 pounts! The doctor sent me to the dietition, put me on an oral diabetis medication & told me I had to get the weight off if I wanted to avoid insulin injections for the rest of my life! Talk about an extreme wake up call.... I already have mild retinal damage to my left eye and am developing a cataract on that eye as well, he's noted some renal labs were slightly off also, and is going to re-run those tests next month when I go in for my six month diabetes check-up. I also take 1000 mg of cinnamon per day and chromium suppliments everyday too.

Since October 3, '08 I have been very deligent in watching my calorie and carbohydrate intake, doing blood sugar accu-checks 2-to-3 times a day. With COPD it's hard for me to do the "cardio" work-out excercises, but I have been walking between 10 and 12 miles a week (walking up and down the stairs ) and walking around Walmart just to have some place to walk during the winter season when it's too cold to be outside.

I bought myself a digital weight scale last week and went to the Dr.'s office yesterday to check my weight-loss on his digital scale ( wanted to check the difference between his and mine ) and I have lost 41- pounds since October! Being 58 years young, the doctor, dietition, and I decided that a weight goal of 145-pounds was a reasonable goal, instead of 125-pounds that the "professionals" say a woman that's 5'2" should weigh.

I've got to tell ya, I was thrilled beyond belief yesterday when the scales said 227-pounds! The doctor was walking past me in the hallway and I grabbed ahold of him and showed him the scales and he just grimmed from ear to ear... I admitted that I didn't think I would stick to the the diet but after I started losing weight I started setting mini-goals for myself and it became so much easier! By the grace of God and sheer determination I've reached 1/3 of my weight loss goal of 123-pounds!

When I lost 25-pounds I rewarded myself with a 26-inch flat screen digital T.V.... a non-essential I know, but d**m-it, everytime I look at that T.V. or watch something on it, it reminds me that I "earned" it and I keep on task. The digital weight scales was my reward for losing 35-pounds and when I reach my next goal (50-pound loss) I'm buying myself an excercise bike!

Is Anyone Trying To Lose Weight?

:laughkick::laughkick: :laughkick: :laughkick: :laughkick:

Oh hell yes.

I lost 42 lb on WW a few years ago, plateaued, got bummed, started eating because of it, gained 22 lb back, then the past fall have gained another 12 lb back. I stopped WW because we were only doing it online, and I found I could use Daily Plate for free for what I was using WW for.

I really need to get back on track, however this winter I've been in the dumps and I'm a bored/comfort eater. Of course, nothing ever tastes as good as you think it will, which makes me more depressed after I eat that chocolate/cookies and realize I just blew all those calories.

PLUS, being a work from home mom, I get to stay in my sweats all day instead of having to wear my snug jeans, which makes it easier to not stop myself.

Your story is fantastic, congrats on the weight loss! Keep up the good work, and posting about it. I think you might help to inspire me. :)

CONGRATULATIONS

I was 204 pounds and lost it all and went down to 14 pound underweight. My Doctor advised me to gain that weight back on and now I am 146 pounds. I do have an illness that affects my weight loss which was diagnosed half way through.

I would suggest you weigh yourself twice a week, just to keep an eye on your weight and not everyday.

Journal your emotions, as I strong believe its not about the food but about the psychology.

Dont buy the unhealthy stuff and find a healthy version of your favourite meals.

Look at your meal sizes, and use the third of the plate for servings (one third protein, one third carbs, and one third veg). I use my hands as a bench mark, a fist size is a portion size for each (ie a fist full of protein, a fist full of mash, a fish full of cabbage, a fist full of carrots etc).

If you go out take a healthy snack and water with you. As your diabetic always carry Glucose sweets, or boiled sweets with you. (Dads eyes always go bleery when his low).

Do exercise you really enjoy and which is ok with your blood sugars.

Learn to listen to your body, it will tell you when you need food etc.

My Dad is type two diabetic on tablets and insulin. When he started to loose toes that was part of the reason for me to make a committed decision to get down to the right weight. There are some wonderful cook books out there for diabetic diets, it just takes a short while to get used to them. One of them does a wonderful cherry cake.

I found that after a while my taste buds changed, and I no longer like the fried, or sweet stuff.

I would suggest your family joins a support group if there is one. Living with a Diabetic can be quite hard at times, and they may wish to talk about it with others.

Good luck with your continued weight loss.

Thank You all for the encouragement! I check in with my dietition about every six weeks or so and she's a big help with recipes and suggestions. A lot of the foods that my family eats is not on my diet... not because I can't have them, but because I'm not a big pasta eater, don't like fried foods that much, and they're not big on veges and I love my veges!

I always carry a 1 liter bottle of water with me where ever I go. I find if I'm properly hydrated, I have less problems with my feet and my blood sugars are within a some what normal range. I keep a bottle of water at my bedside at all times as well. I also try very hard to get 8 - 9 hours sleep a night. I find, if I'm rested, I tend to focus more on the task at hand and I'm not snacking or eating in between meals.

I pretty much weigh in once a week and chart it in my accu check journal. That allows my doctor to see the progress as far as weight loss goes and the Blood sugar results when I go in to see him. It keeps us both happy, because if he gets an attitude with me I tend to have one right back and we "square off to fight". :0327: He has no bedside manners and I have a warped sense of humor... we kinda bump heads, so to speak. :rolleyes:

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

Oh yes, I think there are a lot of us in here who would like to lose some of those pounds. :) I don't go on a diet, I just try to drop the pounds when I can.

I am only 20 pounds less then I was in 1999, but, at least it is going. The dr. says the slower, the more likely you will keep it off. But, I don't think he had ment this slow. :);)

Twila, you are doing great keep it up. :)

How are your sugar numbers doing????

There are times we have to do things for ourselves like you are, getting something special. :)

To Twila and all of you who are dropping the pounds. CONGRATULATIONS13.jpg

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Weeeeeeeeee, guess what I found in the old barn in the back yard? An old excercise bike!

DD#1 and I are gonna drag it out as soon as the weather gets a little warmer and clean it up, check and make sure it's in working order and, if it is, I'm gonna put it in my bedroom to do my bicycling. :cheer: A new one at Walmart is over $200.00! I'm soooo excited! :woohoo:

Weeeeeeeeee, guess what I found in the old barn in the back yard? An old excercise bike!

DD#1 and I are gonna drag it out as soon as the weather gets a little warmer and clean it up, check and make sure it's in working order and, if it is, I'm gonna put it in my bedroom to do my bicycling. :cheer: A new one at Walmart is over $200.00! I'm soooo excited! :woohoo:

Thats a great find, happy peddling!

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

That is so great. I do hope it is working so you don't have to put any money into it fixing it up. :) Then you will really get the miles counting up. :)

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

I'm soooo PROUD of all of you with your determination to get the excess pounds off! :wub: RaeLynn and I got the excercise bike outta the barn and into the house, have it all cleaned up and it works great.... even the odometer works on it. :cheer: First time I used it I forgot to use a shorter oxygen tube on my concentrator and nearly choked myself to death, because the tube wrapped around one of the pedals. I'm such a putz sometimes! :0327:

I'm down to 223-lbs. now, as of this morning and with the weather starting to warm up, DD#! and I will start walking several times a day to the grade school that's about a block from the house. Start slow and work up to longer walks as spring time progresses into warmer evenings too. 78 more pounds till I reach my weight goal...

Well, I definately need to do something about my weight.

I had been at my ideal weight for about 5 years until last spring. I injured both feet in two separate occasions while jumping down off the forklift onto the concrete floor. I tore both plantar fascias and as a result got heel spurs.

I eventually had to give up my job in order to stay off my feet and let them heal. They are 80% better, but because of all the sitting around, I have put on some lb's. I can't fit into much and I'm too stubborn to buy more clothes.

The bad thing is now that I don't fit into much, I have been coming up with excuses not to go to church because I'm ashamed at how tight my clothes are. This is what I used to do before I lost weight years ago. Satan has really been getting the victory in this area of my life.

I just need the motivation to say no to the sugar and grains that I crave. I really need to do a fast to break this addiction, but I can't get past the blood sugar plunge I get by noon.

I used to have control of this area of my life and could even do 5 day fasts. I don't have the strength to do this in my own power. I have asked God for help, but maybe I'm not really stepping out on faith yet to allow Him to do the work.

It's so frustrating to be such a whimp in an area of my life I used to be so strong in.

Archived