MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I made yogurt for the first time!!

Yesterday, as I was straining my eyes, trying to read the tiny print for ingredients on the yogurt containers in the grocery store's dimly-lit dairy case, I found there weren't any flavored yogurts that didn't contain either high-fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetener (things I'm trying to avoid). So, I bought a carton of plain yogurt. At home, I checked the internet for the simplest possible directions: Mix 2 T. yogurt with 1 qt. milk. I did that, and set it on the heating pad overnight. This morning I had yogurt! It tasted great!

It's thinner than store-bought, and I know DH and DS won't go for that, so I combined a Tbspn. of clear jel with a Tbspn. of sugar, and wisked into the yogurt. That gave it a good consistency. Than I tossed in some blueberries. I can't wait for DS to get home from school. He's going to love it!

I used to make yoghurt all the time in my crockpot. First I would scald the milk to kill any stray bacteria, then add some dry milk to it to thicken it.... let it cool down and stir in a couple of tablespoons of active plain yoghurt culture...(read the labels). I'd put it on low, put the lid on and voila, in the morning, I'd have fresh yogurt... Refrigerate and add fruit or honey or whatever....

Is yogurt like sour dough, vinegar, etc. in that you can keep growing it batch after batch with a single starter?

Yes, I used some that I had saved from my first batch to make a second batch. Unfortunately, my family inhaled the second batch before I could put some away for the next batch - so will have to buy some starter again.

The idea of adding dry powdered milk sounds good -- I'll try that next time.

I've been adding about 1/4 c sugar (per half gallon) right to the milk and dried milk powder lately - it doesn't seem to affect the yogurt-ing process at all and makes it taste even better right out of the jar. Also works with honey.

Tried raw brown sugar, and boy was that a mistake. >.< flavors did not mesh well.

I don't sweeten my yogurt, because I want to be able to use it for dressings, dips and spreads, etc. When we want sweet yogurt, we add a teaspoonful of honey and a teaspoonful of jam to individual servings. The yogurt tastes excellent that way.

please! we eat yogurt everyday here, so please, give me your recipes of making yogurt! Heating pad? crockpot? how long? We go thru alot of yogurt every week and if I could make my own, I would be saving so much money!

Mix 2 T. yogurt with 1 qt. milk. I did that, and set it on the heating pad overnight. This morning I had yogurt! It tasted great!

what KIND of milk? whole, 2%,1%? heating pad? what setting? for how long?

crockpot method. what setting? for how long? what kind of milk?

how much dry milk?

If the SHTF and you did not have any electricity for the heating pad or the crock-pot. You could also place your mix into an Ice chest with some jars of hot water. It will keep it warm over night and allow the yogurt process to take place just like on the heat pad or crock-pot.

Mix 2 T. yogurt with 1 qt. milk. I did that, and set it on the heating pad overnight. This morning I had yogurt! It tasted great!

how much dry milk?

OINK, this is the recipe I use.

4 cups (1 quart) milk (whole, 2%, 1% or skim)

1/4 to 1/2 cup instant non fat dry milk powder

1/2 cup plain (unflavored) yogurt

In a saucepan, combine milk and dry milk powder, heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to just below the boiling point. Remove milk from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm, (between 100* and 110* F) To cool the milk quickly, place the saucepan with milk into the refrigerator or sink of cold water, stirring occasionally to cool evenly. This takes about 20 minutes.

Milk can also be heated in microwave oven. In uncovered microwave safe container, heat milk at full power (high) for 8 to 10 minutes or to just below the boiling point. Do not allow milk to boil. Carefully remove container from microwave as the milk will be very hot. Allow to col until lukewarm, between 100* and 100* F. Cool as directed above.

Prewarm heating base (heating pad, Crockpot, cooler, which ever method you are using)

Add plain yogurt to warm milk, stirring gently to blend. Do not beat or whip. Pour mixture into Crockpot, or bowl if using heating pad or cooler, cover and place in or on heat source. Allow to sit undisturbed and out of drafts for 4 to 10 hours, depending on tartness desired. Yogurt should be partially set after process and will thicken further after refrigeration. If not partially set, process another hour until set.

After processing, remove from heat source and refrigerate. Chill at least 2 hours. Remove 1/2 cup yogurt for future use as a starter before adding desired fruit, flavoring etc. Keep yogurt refrigerated until use.

To answer your questions, OINK...

Any kind of milk may be used. We drink whole milk, so I use whole milk. If you use a low fat milk, you will get a low fat yogurt.

If you use a heat pad or Crockpot, use the lowest setting to start. You may need to adjust depending on your appliance, but I'd start with low.

The recipe states to let set for 4 to 10 hours. I use a little yogurt machine that resembles a Crockpot. I have yogurt in about 5 hours. If you like your yogurt quite tart, let it sit longer.

We like our yogurt a little thick, so I use 3/4 cup dry milk. The more dry milk you use, the thicker the yogurt will be.

If one wants to, one can purchase little packets of yogurt starter to use instead of the 1/2 cup plain yogurt.

These little packets contain the culture, and can be purchased at kitchen specialty stores.

Hope this helps, mostly, it just takes experimentation to find the how much and how long that you and your family feel produces the best product.

I use a themos flask

longlife whole milk

2 tablespoons of dried milk powder

2 tablespoons of plain yogurt [ I prefer greek yogurt ]

heat milk in a saucepan over a medium heat, Put skimmed milk powder and yogurt starter into a bowl/jug and mix together.

Dip your finger into the milk, it must be blood heat which means you should be able to count to ten without having to withdraw finger because it is to hot.

Add the milk gradually to the mixture, stirring all the time.

Pour into the flask, put on lid and set aside'

Check after 4 hours, it should be thick and set, if not leave for an hour or two more.

It can take up to 8 hours, but the longer it is left the more tart it becomes.

When it has set, pour the yogurt into a container with a lid and refrigerate to stop the fermenting process

Save two tablespoons of yogurt for your next batch.

I found this recipe in a student cook book and have been using it sucessfully for over 10 years, and the reason I use a greek style yogurt as a starter is it seems to thicken the yogurt more. I only buy a new starter every 10 batches [once you notice that your homemade yogurt is going thin/tasteless]

how much dry milk?

Sorry, I haven't been here for a while. I used 2% milk.

I've found one of the big things that affects the texture of the yogurt is not stirring it - a recipe that I initially followed told me to stir it before I put it in the fridge, which for some reason actually made it really lumpy!

Now, when I don't stir it at all before it goes in the fridge it's nice and smooth and creamy. You can stir it once it's cooled down if you want to, but then it tends to get more liquidy the more you stir it. Good for making yogurt drinks though if you just put it in the blender for a few seconds it goes super thin and never sets back up - I blend it with some fruit for breakfast drinks.

I actually got myself a little yogurt maker a few years back. I didn't realize there were so many ways to make yogurt. Thanks for all the great info.

• 1 month later...
If the SHTF and you did not have any electricity for the heating pad or the crock-pot. You could also place your mix into an Ice chest with some jars of hot water. It will keep it warm over night and allow the yogurt process to take place just like on the heat pad or crock-pot.

this is how I do it- I fill up 1/2 gallon plastic jugs with boiling water :)

'course, I use raw goats milk- 4c milk, 3 tbsp plain yogurt as starter, stir every few hours till it's done.

once it's as thick as I want it, i add about 1/4 cup turbinado sugar and some vanilla.

my goal in everything from cooking to housekeeping is to use as many non-electric dependent ways of doing things as possible.

I figure if I'm not using electricity, I'm saving money AND I won't miss it if it goes away :)

Archived