MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Onion and Celery together...

Insurance

I've found that celery is the ONLY thing I will put with the onion because of the strong odor. Sometimes I store it together, sometimes separately. It works, I've done it. :)

Good luck.

Can I dehydrate onion and celery together? I'm concerned that the celery might absorb the flavor of the onions. I am having to dehydrate in my oven until my new dehydrator arrives.

I did and when it was dehydrating it smelled great...when I rehydrated it to test it, it tasted great. I am planing on making my own soup/dip mix and this will definately be one of the ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...
DonnaIL when you do get your soup/dip mix made will you please share the recipe. It sounds wonderful.

By the way welcome to Mrs.S :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome...I love this site, so glad I found it.

I started working on my soup/dip mix today, trying to make something similar to lipton's cup soup onion or vegetable mix. I use these mixes as seasonings in many recipes (Italian Beef, Pot Roast, Meat Loaf etc..) I made a mix and then added 1 tbsp to a cup of sour cream and it was good...might have added a little too much garlic.. This is what I did.

Dehydrated:

1lb mushrooms sliced

2 green bell peppers

1 onion

1lb carrots sliced

about 3/4 of a bunch of celery sliced

After all was dehydrated I put it in the blender to chop with 2 beef boullion cubes. It was still a little chunky (not totally like a powder)

It felt a little wetter after I blended it so I put it in a pie pan and then put 5 cloves of garlic through the garlic press on top. Put it in a warm oven (140)for a few hours. Returned the mix blender and blended to a course powder (sort of like course ground pepper).

It made about 3/4 c of mix.

Next time I think I will not blend the mushrooms & onions as fine, and add them to the powder mix..should work well with the pot roast.

Anyone have any suggestions for my recipe?

Also don't mean to steal the thread

Warning to everyone--be careful with dehydrated mushroom powder until you know how potent it can be.

what do you mean? are you talking about how long it will retain its flavor? I dried the mushrooms a week or 2 ago and have had them in a glass jar..the mix is now in a glass jar. Can it be dangerous dried? I only ask this because when I see the word "warning" I want to pay attention. Thanks

I'm pretty sure she means add it slowly until you know how strong the taste is. Not a "dangerous" kind of warning. ;)

If you dry the "button" mushrooms from the store, they're safe. (Of course, you wash them before slicing.)

I'm pretty sure she means add it slowly until you know how strong the taste is. Not a "dangerous" kind of warning. ;)

If you dry the "button" mushrooms from the store, they're safe. (Of course, you wash them before slicing.)

Thanks! thats what I thought, and yes I used the button mushrooms from the store..all veggies washed before drying.

Warning to everyone--be careful with dehydrated mushroom powder until you know how potent it can be.

~~~~

what do you mean? are you talking about how long it will retain its flavor? I dried the mushrooms a week or 2 ago and have had them in a glass jar..the mix is now in a glass jar. Can it be dangerous dried? I only ask this because when I see the word "warning" I want to pay attention. Thanks

I mean I ruined a lovely batch of chicken and dumplings once by deciding to add a little mushroom powder to the creamy soup. Added a little, couldn't taste it. Added a whole lot more. Ugh, ugh, ugh! NOBODY would eat that stuff--the cream tasted like pureed mushrooms, all dusty, with something of a pureed lentil effect really.

Does everyone really dehydrate onions in the house? I tried it once a few weeks ago, but the eye burning haze and smell that lingered for a few days convinced me dehydrating onions was an outdoor activity.

I dehydrate onions on a regular basis in the kitchen, but I open the doors and windows so I get a good cross breeze through the house. Often I will also dry a tray or two of celery at the same time which cuts the sharpness of the onions a little.

Yes, it is potent with some onions at first, but it mellows out after awhile. :D

That's the difference. You guys live somewhere nice! It was below freezing when I did mine...and not much warmer today with a chance of snow.

Well I learned the hard way to at least wait until it's nice enough to open the windows. I have a good place I could set it in the garage too if I don't trust the windows to lead the smell out of the house :)

If you mean "nice" meaning a good air flow through the house, then yes that helps. I had to laugh though once when I was doing onions, went out on an errand, came home as my postal carrier was delivering the mail. As I opened the garage door (garage is attached to the house) both of us got a big whiff of the onions. She was gone before I had a chance to "explain", but I can imagine what was going through her mind. :rolleyes:

I tried once to dehydrate them out in the backyard, but realized immediately the wind was blowing the aroma directly in to my neighbor's house (20 feet away) so I took it back inside.

Having lots of dried onions is worth the occasional house-clearing aroma.

Archived