MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Overheard in the ER this morning

Leanna1017

I was in the emergency room of one of our local hospitals (a suburb of PHX, AZ) this morning and I overheard an interesting conversation in the next triage room.

A mother her brought her asthmatic son in with fever and shortness of breath and asked the physican if they were going to do the test for the H1N1 flu. He said the per the CDC's instructions, they weren't testing anyone in the ER, only patients that they were admitting to the hospital. He went on to tell her that they were really only testing patients who they estimated would be there for more than 3 days since that's how long it takes to get the test results back. When she pressed him to test her son he put her off, saying that this flu was no big deal.

The hospital I went to is about 3 hours from the Mexican border in an area with a huge population that travels to Mexico on a regular basis. You'd think this would be a hotspot for the CDC to use to gather data.

I don't believe that this flu is diminishing at all. It sounds to me like medical facilities are being told not to test to keep the number of positive cases to a minimum so as not to cause more of a panic.

Leanna

I was just reading about that same attitude. <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30627377/

If the Health Department informs and asks people to prepare, to take precautions, to watch what they do, and nothing happens, they're ridiculed and laughed at.

If they say it's no big deal, move on, nothing to see here... and another wave hits this Fall that kills many, then people will be angry, too.

I guess I can't worry about what other people end up doing, after I've said what I believe to be the possibilities. I know my Pastor thinks I'm "Chicken Little". But I'll still take care of what I can, as I can.

:mellow:

By the way... WELCOME, Leanna!!! :bouquet:

:bighug2:

An Iowa program broadcast last night talked with people from the State Health and Veterinarian departments. They were taking questions from the general public by phone. They tried very hard to explain why at first they were very concerned with this flu. They said it had turned out to be no more deadly than the common seasonal flu but kept reminding us that the reg. flu caused 36,000 deaths annually. They said that the cases would continue to rise until summer but then should ebb and go away (the first wave?)

They said that one reason they were at first concerned was because it hit at a time when the regular flu season was just winding up. However, one thing I noticed all of them saying was that they would have to watch how this unfolded in the southern hemisphere over the summer, that it was possible this could cause "some" real problems again in the fall, September or Octorber. When asked about a vaccine they said they had hopes that one would be available come October or November but that it would have to be carefully tested as they didn't want a recurrance of the 1976 flu vaccine problems where MORE people were sickened from the vaccine than from that flu.

The whole program was upbeat with lots of joking and laughing and did absolutely nothing to lesson my feeling of the need to be even more prepared. Strangely enough, I'm not sure any longer if I'm determined to be more prepared for the Flu to come or the "cure" to come.

:bighug2:

...or the "cure" to come.

??? You mean for the ones who laugh now???

I am reminded more and more of the story of the "Grasshopper and the Ant"...

:mellow:

I thought it was strange when I woke up a few days ago and it seemed like all memory of it had been wiped from the front page news. After digging and finding out that there were still over 400 + schools closed and that the number of infected keeps going up, I figured it was something to do with TPTB...either keeping it hush hush or trying not to panic people, because of the ERs getting so overwhelmed. But then someone (I think on here?) mentioned that it was probably to stop people from being afraid of pork, because the pork farmers were losing money or something.

Anyway, it is very interesting that they won't even test cases, except when the patient is staying for 3 days.

Just a couple of months ago, on one of my DS's trips to the ER for his asthma, there was a 2 or 3 month old baby in the next bed over. They immediately tested for flu and it was positive. In a little baby like this, it could be really serious. So, if that would have happened now, that baby probably wouldn't have been tested? Even for the regular old seasonal flu? That's not good.

As best I can tell, they are doing the quick test for flu, but not the more involved test to see what kind of flu.

Welcome, Leanna!

I'm guessing that it could be several possibilities.

Might be that the ER personnel are kind of the "gatekeepers" of assessment, instead of givers of "on demand" tests, for which they probably have had overwhelming requests.

They may have a very limited supply and only give it now in seriously questionable cases.

In that case, they also have to be the calmer-of-peoples-fears. Which means seriously and continually downplaying what is probably not considered to be deadly in the US.

They may be giving the test based on racial profiling, which can't be admitted for fear of legal action.

:shrug:

There may be another reason. Years and years ago, my late uncle was in the Navy and was part of a team trained to take care of people after a nuclear attack. Part of their instructions were for which people got the limited medication and treatment. Emphasis on people who could basically repopulate. Older men and women past child bearing age, no. Very young children who would need taking care of, no. People who were needed. For instance, doctors, law enforcement, teams like his got first priority. Sound familiar?

After a week of only two confirmed cases and one possible in Tennessee, they are announcing over 35 confirmed cases all of a sudden like the results were somehow held up or something. The latest is that supposedly, now the state health department has the ability to test for H1N1. I don't know about Mississippi, all my TV news comes out of Memphis and they seem to think all their customers are in Memphis/Shelby County or at least just in Tennessee.

There may be another reason. Years and years ago, my late uncle was in the Navy and was part of a team trained to take care of people after a nuclear attack. Part of their instructions were for which people got the limited medication and treatment. Emphasis on people who could basically repopulate. Older men and women past child bearing age, no. Very young children who would need taking care of, no. People who were needed. For instance, doctors, law enforcement, teams like his got first priority. Sound familiar?

{underline mine}

Hmmmm........ Y'know if we all ARE survival-minded, we need to think very hard about that policy mentioned by Scrubbielady's uncle. At first glance, we Americans [liberty and justice *and EVERYthing* for all.....] react violently against it. But leaders of huge populations have to *think thru* the hard questions. They have to think of "survival" in larger terms ....survival of the nation as a whole; as the human race, perhaps. We each need to take responsibility for our own individual [and our families/dependents] survival. But with truly limited resources, it won't ....and probably should not....go out as a first come/first served basis.

I am taking note that all four of my own household would certainly NOT qualify for the A-Team. We would not be eligible for a rationed resource under that criteria. Yet....I can still see the sense in it.

This is not to say that it wouldn't be nice if there was enough of {whatever______fill in the blank with a necessary resource} to go around for every American. But if that is not the case, some WILL go without.

LOL....it is also not to say that every resource offered by the govt. is a resource I might actually want anyway. Not sure I'd take Tamiflu if it was available to my post-childbearing-self. :shrug:

Something to think about tho........

MtRider [philosophizing again.....]

Yup.

Different scenarios might bring out different *feelings*, but if, for example, Tamiflu was recommended but available only to the heath and medical people first, that's ok by me. I *CAN* hunker down, stay at home, and limit interactions with others. They can't.

And I'm not so sure I'd want to live in a post-nuclear area/world. I just wouldn't want my children to suffer on without my help to thrive, and my support. But that's not my choice in this life, ever, anyway.

Scrubbie, it has been a case of a huge backlog with the testing, perhaps til just about now,because the Gov't was still in the process of getting the quick tests delivered to all the states. The first tests have had to be sent in usually to another lab either in their state or a national lab that tests for H1N1. We will probably see alot more confirmed cases coming out in lumps of numbers as the next few days go on. It might be even longer than a few days as the quick tests will be distributed.

Scrubbie, it has been a case of a huge backlog with the testing, perhaps til just about now,because the Gov't was still in the process of getting the quick tests delivered to all the states. The first tests have had to be sent in usually to another lab either in their state or a national lab that tests for H1N1. We will probably see alot more confirmed cases coming out in lumps of numbers as the next few days go on. It might be even longer than a few days as the quick tests will be distributed.

That is about what I figured but with all the hoopla around here over one "possible" I was just surprised that the other possibles weren't mentioned. Of course, the TV news that I get mostly is only worried about Memphis/Shelby County so that might be why they didn't mention them. The info they did give out was that it couldn't be confirmed until and unless the CDC said so.

That is about what I figured but with all the hoopla around here over one "possible" I was just surprised that the other possibles weren't mentioned. Of course, the TV news that I get mostly is only worried about Memphis/Shelby County so that might be why they didn't mention them. The info they did give out was that it couldn't be confirmed until and unless the CDC said so.

I know for a fact that there was a "confirmed" case in Nashville just last week.

To begin with, there were 3 schools shut down, then two days later there was a 'press release' of the school superintendent along with other school 'officials' stating that they would be reopening the schools because of the updated rules that came down from the FDA, CDC, whoever.

Supposedly they are now changing the rules of the game and want the schools left open if there is a small amount of confirmed cases.

Just days before that happened they were asking for the entire school to be shut down if there were only *one* confirmed case.

Awful suspicious to me how they are just kind of changing the rules as they go. <_<

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Awful suspicious to me how they are just kind of changing the rules as they go.

I'm not going to second guess TPTB making changes to school closing policies. In reality this is no different than IRL. A good plan should allow flexibility and be subject to modification as needed. Simple example: My plan A was to work in garden this weekend. Seeds and plants on hand and ready to go. Severe thunderstorms came through Friday making ground way to wet. Do I insist on sticking to the "plan" and sink knee deep in the mud as well as risk everything rotting in the ground? No, that is not beneficial or necessary. Plenty of time left to plant and wait for different time. Switched to plan B, indoor tasks. Doesn't mean my plan A was inheriently bad and that I can't return to it if/when conditions warrant :D

Michelle there was a confirmed in Nashville and one in some county south of there but I mean where did all the 30+ confirmed cases come from. I assume that you see the same "news" that I do coming out of Memphis. Where do you get the best TV information?

:wave: Oops.. not Michelle but had a few moments to check on this. Posting the results. Now I best hide before the real Michelle shows up and finds me in her chair lol :behindsofa:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Confirmed cases of swine flu in Tennessee have increased to 36 from two because testing is now being done in the state lab. State health officials said Thursday all the Tennessee patients are recovering and have a good prognosis. Officials stressed that the cases rose dramatically because the Tennessee Department of Health lab is confirming the cases instead of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. They said there has not necessarily been a surge in cases. Eighteen of the cases are in Davidson County, eight each in Knox and Williamson counties and one each in Maury and Shelby. The state laboratory is assisting Texas public health authorities with testing specimens. Tennessee has received 400 samples of Texas' more than 3,500 backlogged specimens.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6413351.html

Michelle there was a confirmed in Nashville and one in some county south of there but I mean where did all the 30+ confirmed cases come from. I assume that you see the same "news" that I do coming out of Memphis. Where do you get the best TV information?

Actually we get our news out of Nashville.

But yeah, that huge 'jump' in numbers makes me wonder how many have been "confirmed" and how many they are still not reporting. :huh:

:wave: Oops.. not Michelle but had a few moments to check on this. Posting the results. Now I best hide before the real Michelle shows up and finds me in her chair lol :behindsofa:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Confirmed cases of swine flu in Tennessee have increased to 36 from two because testing is now being done in the state lab. State health officials said Thursday all the Tennessee patients are recovering and have a good prognosis. Officials stressed that the cases rose dramatically because the Tennessee Department of Health lab is confirming the cases instead of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. They said there has not necessarily been a surge in cases. Eighteen of the cases are in Davidson County, eight each in Knox and Williamson counties and one each in Maury and Shelby. The state laboratory is assisting Texas public health authorities with testing specimens. Tennessee has received 400 samples of Texas' more than 3,500 backlogged specimens.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6413351.html

Granny, you're so funny! You can jump in anytime you feel like it, and I don't mind anyone using my 'chair'. :lol:

Thanks for posting that link, that's interesting to know that now we're helping out the state of Texas with their lab tests.

But since Texas & California were two of the first states to have confirmed cases after Mexico, I'm wondering how far they really are backlogged with their tests.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's waaay more than just the 3 days that the media is reporting.

I know someone else mentioned this above me, but when they decided to change the name from Swine flu to the H1N1 virus, I knew then that the pork industry had something to do with that.

But seriously, I have to wonder how stupid that they think the 'average consumer' is? Isn't that how they refer to us now~consumers? To not realize the connection there?

I'm so glad to know that there are other level headed folks out there/here that don't believe everything that the media is trying to feed us. <_<

Whew, okay, off my soapbox now. :P

Michelle in middle Tennessee

Archived