MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Challenge??

<giant gulp> :blush:

Ok when I get back from my daughter's wedding next weekend I am going to find something to can and use my pressure canner for the first time. I will scour the archives for ideas on what to blow up - er can - :happy0203: first.

Oh Darleeeeeeeene..... :bouquet:

• 3 months later...

Wow, just stumbled upon this thread and gave me a guilty conscience! :huh:

I haven't been canning! :o

And Alexis never got around tuit!! oh my! :P

My mom is arriving for a visit tomorrow and I can't wait to show her all my stuff, I actually dusted my jars of canned food yesterday! ;)

The day after Labor Day we start our official new school year and THEN, I'm getting back with the canning! :canning:

I want to do more beef roasts chunks, more flavored ground beef/venison, more pinto beans and of course more chicken. :D

Well, the tomatoes have been pouring in from the garden and we got bags of apples from a friend, so I've been busy. I also canned up several cases of pork and beans last month.

I took a few months off from canning in late spring to mid summer. I didn't want to even look at that canner. I started summer of 2008 with practically nothing canned and since coming to Mrs. S. I have hundreds, probably over a thousand jars filled with food sitting on my shelves in my newly established food storage room. I've also got lots of backup cases of jars waiting to be filled, along with cases of lids. I've come a long way in such a short time. I'm almost to the point where all I need to do is rotate and replace used stock.

Now that the canning from the garden is over, I'll focus this fall and winter on building up my canned meat supply.

This is a whole new way of living. It's a lot more work, but I feel safer and more prepared fo crisis than I ever have before.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, my excuses are lame, cool weather has arrived, the freezer is full of meat once again and hunting season is on the way.

It's time for me to get with it again. I'm going to spend the next couple of days choosing, planning, pulling out of the freezer, meats that need to be canned this weekend.

Anyone up for the challenge? :canning:

I plan to do about 10 lbs of pork tenderloin, 10 lbs of chicken breast, 10 lbs of ground beef ( I think)

If there is time left I'd also like to do up some more dried beans, they are so VERY handy to have in the pantry.

Maybe I'll even do another batch of Baked Beans?

Well, I'll just have to choose, can't do it all! :)

What about you? What could you can up this weekend?

:wub: My freezer is full of discounted meats I've been meaning to can also. Mine will have to wait until I finish building the shelves in the garage. I'm almost done. Just got another load of wood today. Hopefully I'll get back to it next week.

I need to do an inventory in my prep room, but I'm waiting until I build another shelf for in there. That way, I can just slide things from one shelf onto the new one as I count. I guess I need to go get some more wood for that one.

Homemaker is getting very tired of being a carpenter.

Okiedokie, here we go.

We're starting up the fires and dh is slicing the porkloin on the meat slicer.

Here are the instructions from the Blue Book that Pogo kindly gave so many of us! :hug3:

Pork Tenderloin - Raw Pack

Slice pork tenderloin cross-wise into 1/2 to 1" slices.

Add one tsp of salt per quart jar (if desired) - *1/2 tsp per pint

Pack tenderloin into hot jars leaving 1" headspace

Ladle hot water or broth over tenderloin, leaving 1" headspace

Remove air bubbles

Adjust 2 piece caps.

Process quarts 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure (pints 75 minutes)

How easy can it get? ;)

NOW....as I'm waiting for Betsy :canning: to build up her pressure, I'm just thinking....since I already have it out and all.... :happy0203:

I haven't canned in a dog's age but boneless, etc chicken breasts were $1.68 a lb and 80% lean ground beef was $1.49 a lb. Those are very good prices around here, so I got $65.00 worth (sale price). I have Columbus Day off, but the kids are in school, so I think I'll be canning tomorrow.

Well, I've got three whole chickens, a jar of mushrooms and a jar of chicken broth out of the freezer to thaw. I'm doing chicken-a-la-king tomorrow.

Whenever I see reduced-price fresh mushrooms, I buy them up, saute in a little butter and freeze them.

After I de-bone the chickens, I'll start up a big pot of bone broth to make some chicken soup for canning later in the week. The dog, cats and hens will get the softened bones too. Everybody will be happy, (except the Campbells Soup Company!)

Josephine, sounds like a great way to spend the day!

Homemaker, that is a great idea with the mushrooms, we really like them but rarely buy them anymore.

I've been looking throught the 100th Anniversary Blue Book, they have some really great recipes.

They even had the recipe for canning mushrooms, which would be a great way to preserve them as well.

--

They even had the recipe for canning mushrooms, which would be a great way to preserve them as well.

I do the mushrooms on a regular basis, whenever the store has a major discount on them because the sell by date is coming up. I buy up them all and then come home and can them in half-pints and 4 oz jars. I will also dehydrate slices or pieces for all kinds of recipes.

You need to cook the mushrooms in some manner before you freeze them.

FREEZING MUSHROOMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choose mushrooms free from spots and decay. Sort

according to size. Wash thoroughly in cold water. Trim off

ends of stems. If mushrooms are larger than 1 inch across,

slice them or cut them into quarters.

Mushrooms may be steamed or heated in fat in a fry pan.

Steam

Steamed mushrooms retain better color if given

antidarkening treatment first.

Dip for 5 minutes in a solution containing 1 teaspoon

lemon juice or 1 1/2 teaspoons citric acid to a pint of

water.

Then steam blanch:

Whole mushrooms................... 5 minutes

(not larger than 1 inch across)

Buttons or quarters............... 3 1/2 minutes

Slices............................ 3 minutes

Cool promptly in cold water and drain well.

HEAT IN FRYING PAN

Heat small quantities of mushrooms in a small amount of

table fat in an open fry pan until almost cooked.

Cool in air or place pan in which mushrooms were cooked in

cold water.

Pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal,

label and freeze.

Sorry for the delay in answering Deerslayer and thanks to dogmom for pointing it out. :D

So, about canning beans (dried beans), you just can't imagine how easy it is and how VERY convenient as well.

If you will go to this link and scroll down a bit, there is a step by step instruction guide that follows the Blue Book guide.

Basically you sort, rinse, presoak and then cook about 30 minutes, pack into jar with salt and then process.

This is easy peasy.

And the beauty, you have your beans already done to add to your chili, or to make your own refried beans, etc... Also, this becomes a shelf stable, heat and eat, high protein food for your storage. :thumbs:

http://www.pickyourown.org/canningdriedbeans.htm

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up because I was looking for Stephanies' link for canning dry beans. Anyone up for the challenge? I'm a step ahead...I just finished up 6 pints of carrots. I have a ton of apples I have to do something with and I also want to can up some dry beans so they're easy to use.

i am going a little nutso :cheeky-smiley-067: here canning all my dried beans--i think i have about 150 pounds done so far--all my beans were getting old so i thought this would be great plus a great way for me to get used to pressure canning--

My goodness, we would not eat that many in a lifetime ! That is a lot of beans.

I am teaching a pressure cooking class next week. I am going to show them how fast you can cook dried beans in a pressure cooker.

Wish I was close enough to attend! I went to Sams today, and got some lean ground turkey for my sloppy joes tomorrow! I'm excited to can something new. I also picked up a 25 lb. bag of dried pintos for $12.40. Deerslayer has inspired me!!!

thank god i am almost done!! we eat beans almost everyday, so they go pretty fast around here!! :eclipsee_Victoria: i am thinking about doing some sloppy joes too--if i can get up the nerve!!!

Archived