MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

County Fairs

Josephine

A poster in another food storage forum I'm in said that she was practically begged to enter canned goods into her fair as the number of people entering has slipped where she lives (she didn't say where). I thought it would be neat to enter, so I looked around where I live. I live in a city, which I can't find info if they have a fair; the county above me (smallest self-governing county in the United States! :D) restricts their entries only to people who live in the county and a near by teeny tiny city, but wow, they have so many categories for canned things!; the main county around here has a 4-H fair combined with the County fair and adults can enter too, but their categories are very broad (fruit jam instead of the specific fruit of the other county), plus it's a haul away to get to. I'm going to call the city department in charge of the farmer's markets and see if we have anything ourselves. All the "fair" searches I did for my city just got me "job fairs".

Has anyone ever entered their canned goods? What were they? How did it go?

Years ago my sister and I entered, and often won. Back then the winners got cases of jars, plus a little money, maybe $3.50 for a blue ribbon. The county fair here is a mile or so from me, and each county does only allow residents to enter.

Main thing I remember, if you enter green beans, they have to be whole and all of the same size. Your lids had to match the jars in brand (like both Kerr) if you wanted to win the jars. Presentation is important.

We also entered some baked good, too, if I remember. Think I may consider doing this again.

Pleased to help.

An hour away is doable; you want to make a day of it anyway - yes?

I have never done it but have thought about it. I have a beautiful pint jar of pickled beets sitting on the counter that would be perfect. I need to see what I might have downstairs as well. Usually our fair is before most stuff is harvested so would have to enter things from last year's harvest. I know for a fact that very few people in my area can let alone bother with entering in the fair.

Think I will look into it for this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Archived