MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

White BBQ sauce ?

Kelly

My DSIL got a recipe for white BBQ sauce off tv. One of the ingredients is Miracle Whip, is it possible to can a recipe with mayo in it? If not do you think it could be froze? Thanks for any help.

White barbecue sauce is a mayonnaise- based sauce that has grown in popularity. Originally known as Alabama barbecue sauce because of its regional use, it's moved on to a wider audience with barbecuers across the U.S showing interest in it. The sauce is delicious on grilled meats or used as a dipping sauce.

Source: White BBQ Sauce Info/Recipes

Since the recipes contain mayonnaise I would not consider it freezable and definitely not canned.

Sorry, it is not safe to can. One should never can their own recipes. Those are recipes for cooking, not canning. Mayo would break down and be a mess. No oil based things in canning other than a couple highly acidified, tested recipes. I told someone this a few years back about the mayo. They tried it anyway. Then they posted pictures. You should have seen the awful results.

Mayo type things will break down and be a watery mess if frozen, too.

White bbq sauce was invented at Gibson's BBQ about an hour from us. It is mayo based with alot of vinegar too. It is definitely not suited for canning or freezing. You can make your own and refrigerate it for awhile, or buy it bottled. Alot of the major chains carry it for about $2 or so for the standard bbq sauce size bottle. I think the label says Big Bob Gibson's or something like that. Most folks like it best on smoked chicken.

1 quart mayonnaise

3/4 quart apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup corn syrup

1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Prepared horseradish

Lemon juice

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a very large blender or food processor. (It may be necessary to do this in 2 batches; just add 1/2 of each ingredient and then repeat.) Blend for 1 minute, or until thoroughly combined and mixture is smooth. Pour sauce into a large bowl. Use when grilling chicken; brush lightly over the chicken during the last few minutes of grilling. This sauce is also great for dipping; set some sauce aside for passing at the table.

Archived