MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

seed savers exchange

OK , don't know about this but I have some seeds saves from this years harvest and was thinking maybe someone could do a seed exchange here like we do with all the other exchanges. Ya know everybody sign up and then we all send one or two kinds of seeds in little packs ( the number of players) to one place and then that person repacks them and sends them back to the players? So you may have to send in 12 packets of tomato seeds (10 or 12 seeds per pack) but then you will get back maybe 12 differant vegetables seeds to try? Now everyone would have to send in both seeds and money for postage but hey it might be fun?

I have sweet pepper seeds now but could have more as I am always saving seed from this year for next years garden. Vegetables and / or flowers would work maybe?

So what do you think?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that would be fun. Would you want them to be heirloom seeds and if so, could they be from my garden or would I need to buy some to participate? Either way I would be interested!

I was thinking more of the "saved seed" from your home garden. Like we will have to do if it gets to the point that we could not get seeds. So this would be like a trial run. So yes you gether some seeds (1 kind) and then put into packs (we use small envelopes cut in half and then label them). You would make up however many people are in the exchange. AND the best part is that YOU would get differant seeds back to save for your garden. The only cost would be for shipping and I think for the most part a few dollors is all it would coat if we had under 15 people? and of cost what it would cost you to mail out your seeds so what? $5.00 - $7.00 at the most? and you have a bunch of seeds to plant next year.

Maybe have it be done some time in October before some of us have a freeze. I mailed some to my Mom one year and they sat outside for a day or two in her mailbox (forgot to check) Boom! dead seeds.

Count me in, please!

But I'd need to use a neighbor's seed. My garden mostly tanked this year. Is that okay? I know what she planted and where it came from.

OK , So it looks like we are doing this and I guess I will be the one to do the exchange part?

So here we go:

* I think we should set Sept. 24, 2009 as the sign up date (that way you willl know how many packets to make up).

* if you know what seed you plan to swap it would help if you posted that too. This way others can see what everyone is doing so we don't get to many of the same.

* Then everyone will have 3 weeks after that to mail your packets to me ( I'll PM you my address) so that makes it Oct. 15 , 2009. If I get them all sooner then I can mail them back to you sooner. ;)

* for now I think we will need about $3.00 for the shipping - but if it turns out to be less I will return the extra with your 'Survival Seeds Pack' and if it is more I guess I will just pay it for having all this fun.

* more to follow on what and how to send to me your seeds :thumbs:

Add me in. My best seeds this year are an herb--some vibrant basil-- is that okay to send? Or does it have to be veggies?

for now we are doing vegetables - so that counts!

good for you and thanks.

I guess it would help if we stated what we planned to send that way we would not get 12 kinds of tomatoes in our pack. ;)

Michael has sweet peppers to swap.

and a few extra kinds of ssed just to make it more fun!

I won't have a lot of seed saved from this year's garden. How many seeds per pack do you think? I might have some green beans and possibly some small limas but depends on how many sign up what I would be able to send. Maybe not all one kind. I will have okra seed later but it is still not ready for seed yet- maybe a few more weeks.

I would like to participate though.

I will absolutely participate, but I do have to do some research on what I can send out. Because I live in Zone 4, many of our varieties are focused on how cold hardy they are. We don't really have to worry about heat tolerance or extreme drought here. I will have to see what I have that will work everywhere.

I won't have a lot of seed saved from this year's garden. How many seeds per pack do you think? I might have some green beans and possibly some small limas but depends on how many sign up what I would be able to send. Maybe not all one kind. I will have okra seed later but it is still not ready for seed yet- maybe a few more weeks.

I would like to participate though.

well how many seeds you put in eack pack would be up to you as far as how many you were able to save plus how many packs you have to make up.

And yes if you need to make up 2 or 3 differant packs that would be OK?

Just DON"T mix the seeds in 1 pack or I may not know what I am planting next to each other and I do Companion Planting in my raised beds. ;)

So if you're thinking of joining in on the fun but aren't sure what or how to save seeds there are many sites out there on how to save seeds just GOOGLE 'saving seeds'.

For the most part Heirloom Seeds work the best for saving as they are true to themselves.

If you have never saved seeds before (shame on you) this is a great time to start and you will be getting seeds back to try out next year.

I will absolutely participate, but I do have to do some research on what I can send out. Because I live in Zone 4, many of our varieties are focused on how cold hardy they are. We don't really have to worry about heat tolerance or extreme drought here. I will have to see what I have that will work everywhere.

Oh no! So long as it's not day-length sensitive, the cold-hardiest thing you can send me would be my winter crop. :) And if you have something that grows lickety split, it might produce in the spring before the bugs get awful.

Oooh, just found this thread! Count me in. I think I have enough chiogga beet seeds saved to participate and I "think" I kept them far enough away from the other beets to be pure! I also have the giant sunflower seeds if anyone is interested.

Andrea

P.S. I also have some Pennyroyal seeds that I ordered from Bountiful Gardens. If anyone in the exchange wants them, let me know and I'll send them off as well! I have a huge mint collection and was going to plant that as well, but since it is poisonous I had a change of heart.

I love pennyroyal!

About the only thing I've got that will produce/has produced good seed is purple basil, chives, and tithonia, but I'm probably going to swap those seeds for a much better gardener's squash or yardlong bean. (My chickens devoured my two-hand-high bean plants!)

I would love to join in. I have some garlic chives that I don't think to many people have seen. It grows like chives except the leaves are flat (like grass but thicker) and they smell and taste like garlic not onion. The only problem is that they are in late flowering stage now and I wouldn't want to try to pick the seeds before they are fully developed and dry. I think they should be finished in time. My neighbor has a greenhouse and sells seeds also, I will have to see if he has anything that would be real interesting that I could send along.

I love pennyroyal!

About the only thing I've got that will produce/has produced good seed is purple basil, chives, and tithonia, but I'm probably going to swap those seeds for a much better gardener's squash or yardlong bean. (My chickens devoured my two-hand-high bean plants!)

Ambergris - I'll put your name on the pennyroyal when I send in my seeds!

For the rest of you, I forgot to add I have LOTS of jerusalem artichokes . . . :008Laughing:

For the rest of you, I forgot to add I have LOTS of jerusalem artichokes . . . :008Laughing:

Do you have seeds or the bulbs?

I think the bulbs would be to big for the packets and add weight that would make the postage higher?

but if seeds that would be fine. Ours just started to flower and they look so pretty out by the fence (and TALL!)

Archived