MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrator at Walmart

Carmen

IS this any good? It appears to have a fan. We want one, but my husband wants to eventually get a NICE one (like the excalibur) but it'll be at least Christmas before we can afford one of those. Which isn't terribly far away, but it will be after everything is done growing that would could dehydrate this year. I had wanted to get a cheap decent one to try out first, to make sure we like dehydrating. Would this be a good starter version?

If you're talking about the 700 watt Nesco for $44, I want it badly. I have been limping along with fanless Roncos and thirdhand breakdowns for a little too long.

IS this any good? It appears to have a fan. We want one, but my husband wants to eventually get a NICE one (like the excalibur) but it'll be at least Christmas before we can afford one of those. Which isn't terribly far away, but it will be after everything is done growing that would could dehydrate this year. I had wanted to get a cheap decent one to try out first, to make sure we like dehydrating. Would this be a good starter version?

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nesco-Profession...D-75PR/10982697

Sorry,but that one is lousy. You can get a nice Nesco for the same money. The Nesco has opaque trays, which are important for color and nutrient loss. Plus, with the Nesco you can go up to at least 12 trays.

This Oster has no fan, adjust. thermostat, etc. It is no better than a Ronco.

If you order this on Amazon you will get a fabulous deal, free shipping, too. It is the first one on the page. They come in just a few days. Just got one for a friend.

This is one of the best deals I have seen. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?...ndtextbin=Nesco

Please, do yourself a favor and get a good one for the money.

Yeah, I looked at the reviews of the one you're looking at, and it doesn't sound very good. For just a few dollars more, you can get a better one. ;)

I thought it had a fan! Oh well definately I want the best I can get for the money. I don't know if we'll get that one (the better one you guys were pointing out). B/c it's about 1/4 the price of a really good Excalibur..maybe we should just suck it up and wait til Christmas.

I thought it had a fan! Oh well definately I want the best I can get for the money. I don't know if we'll get that one (the better one you guys were pointing out). B/c it's about 1/4 the price of a really good Excalibur..maybe we should just suck it up and wait til Christmas.

Haven't been here in a while, but had to stick in my 2 cents worth. We, Snowmom and I have had a American harvester for a good 12 years or better and have been very happy with it, and still working good. Just JFWIW.

The old American Harvest are now under the Nesco brand. The link to the one on Amazon is the most amazing deal !

I have 2 of the American Harvest. One I know I have had for over 20 years.

Personally, I see no benefit to owning an Excalibur considering the price and versatility of the Nesco one.

You can keep stacking, up to 12 high. Excalibur you just get what you get.

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nesco-Profession...D-75PR/10982697

This is the Nesco dehydrator that I have and it works really well. I got it as a Christmas gift from my father last year.

TMC, yes, that is the GOOD one !! Glad you got that as a gift. Just one warning, do not make the ground meat jerky. No ground meat is safe to use for jerky any longer. Only strips of lean meat should be used...

Now, back to your regular sheduled program, LOL.

I have three Nesco American Harvestor dehydrators and absolutely love them. On the other hand I recently purchased the Excaliber 9 tray unit. Thought it would be the cadillac of dehydrators and it is nothing but an expensive piece of garbage. I lost 9 trays of tomatoes to mold. Thought that I have put too much into the darn thing so loaded it up again but this time with only half of the tomatoes and they molded also. Yes the fan works, yes the thermostat and heater work. Fact is that it is underpowered for the amount of trays and does a lousy job of dehydrating. I hate it! Maybe it would dry 9 trays of herb leaves on a low humidity day. Boooo--thumbs down--I wouldn't recommend this thing to anybody even if they were getting it for next to free.

mimi,

I'm so glad you posted your experience with the Excalibur. My husband and I are trying to decide which dehydrator to buy. We were between that one and the "good" Nesco at Wal-Mart. We were leaning towards the Nesco, but that helped seal our decision! Thanks so much!

Archived