MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Eeeeekk!!!

bluegrassmom

Oh my. I was just on another forum and the subject of canning meat came up. There were people over there canning meat in a water bath, canning sausage simply by putting it in a hot jar with some grease and turning it upside down, canning milk....

It was like the twilight zone of canning... :animal0017:

Now that is just crazy! And the sad part is (if they are anything like some of my family) even if you tried to nicely suggest a change, they would let it go in one ear and out the other. :beat_deadhorse:

Actually, people used to preserve meat by (I think) cooking it partially or mostly, then packing into crocks in grease, covering it completely, and keeping it in the basement/cellar/cool place. I don't think it was raw packed.

It's just that today we have much better ways that are MUCH safer, that it's hard to think of doing that again.

:shakinghead:

DH's aunt used to talk about how they precooked meat, put it in a crock and poured the hot grease over it.

If the things fall apart I'm sure there will be many of the old ways gone back to just to survive, hopefully w/o killing ourselves, but I can't imagine doing such a thing today when we have everything available to us to do it safely. Why would you chance it BUT like Trudy said people will let it "go in one ear and out the other" BECAUSE it's the way "we've always done it".

I call them the "nobody has died from it - yet" bunch. It is a mindset that just won't change no matter what you might offer them in the way of information. :rolleyes:

Makes me want to throw up ! I have heard so many stories . How about blanching your corn in the dishwasher ?

Did you say anything ?

People like the ones you say do that will just get mad and think I am so stupid if I try to tell them the truth. Not worth wasting my time, sad to say. I wish them luck !

I call them the "nobody has died from it - yet" bunch. It is a mindset that just won't change no matter what you might offer them in the way of information. :rolleyes:

My in-laws are like that. Though they don't can, they do throw a lot of cookouts where the food is handled improperly. There is never ice to keep the cold things cold and everything else is the same temperature that the weather man predicted as a high. I didn't want to make a lot of waves when I first came into the family (at age 18) but there was no way that I was eating at those events. I had food poisoning when I was 12 and didn't ever want to repeat that again. They finally changed their ways when my husband stood up to them and said that it was dangerous and they could kill somebody. By that time, I thought that they all had immunity to food poisoning, or something. They NEVER got sick eating the way that they did.

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of food handling in Hawaii is like that too. 'It's always been this way.' A whole bunch of us got food poisoning from the-day-after-the-wedding food. It was NOT fun! Not even in beeeeooootiful Hawaii is it fun to have food poisoning! :shakinghead:

MtRider [will chance some things but sayin' no to a lot at the banquet ]

Archived