MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ouch! I've been scorched

gofish

I was makeing coffee for church yesterday and I got to close the to the coffee maker.( Yes I'm a accident waiting to happen) This is a big restaurant coffeemaker that makes like 2 gallons at a time. I have a 3 inch burn on my tummy.

I have one super small blister and the rest of it if light red to very dark red.

My friend gave me some Aloe Vera to put on it. Is that the only thing that will help it?

I was pouring really hot water into a half gallon canning jar. It broke and near boiling water splashed out just below my waistline. It hurt like the dickens, but DH brough me cold cloths to lay on it while I moaned. My injury sounds just about like yours. It was not terribly sore the next day and healed very quickly. I had a nurse practioner look at it, and she could not believe it did not hurt much and that I had used nothing on it.

Maybe tummies are tough or heal well. Hope yours does.

First Aid classes always said that the most important thing with burns was to immediately get them cooooooled down! Not just for a few minutes. For quite a long time. Not on the open wound kind tho. And don't freeze the area with too much ice. Submerge in cold water is good if you can. {stomach would be problematic on that.}

Burns = COOLING: Immediate * Keep at it * moderate cold.

After treatment I've tried is aloe [i do TRY to keep a plant alive] Also honey has been used. Again NOT necessarily on the opened, wound kind which should be looked at by a doc. Don't put anything but a dry dressing on an open wound burn. Or the doc may scrape it off. Ow!

[hoping nothing of this has been updated by Am. Red Cross....been a while since I took a class.]

MtRider [... :grouphug: hope it's feeling better!]

Whitehall Laboratories/Best Foods used to make a product called "Sperti" that included live yeast as one of the ingredients. It was world-renowned as the best product for burns. My FIL used to work there, and gave us some to try.

Unfortunately it was a simple product that didn't bring high profits. They discontinued it in the 1990s. :sad-smiley-012:

I used it for my hands that split in winter, as well as burns. The man who made it, Dr. George Sperti, also developed Preparation H, which is similar, and that's why I now use it for my hands.

Dr. Sperti

http://www.magazine.uc.edu/1102/letters11-02sperti.htm

I always use aloe. As for your shirt rubbing on it, put a small piece of aloe on it and cover with a bandaid or piece of gauze. It will help heal it and keep it from getting irritated. Friend's daughter burned her leg on a hot muffler pipe. She put a piece of aloe on it and covered it. Changed as it dried out and kept it covered for a day or so. Stopped hurting, healed over and NO scar.

Mt-Rider That is great onfo. I think I will post the info on my nemesis the coffeemaker.

I only do the coffee on Sunday once a month but it on Wednesday night when they have dinner and classes I sometimes clean it . it gets me alot.The countertop it's on is about 2 inches to high for me to see how much coffee is in it. That is how I got scorched trying to see if I needed to make more coffee.

Cat, the Preparation H is helping.

Archived