MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

First day of our grand adventure

MomM

Good morning, DH was laid off yesterday. So, today we are starting a new adventure. Since he will turn 62 next month, we are seriously considering having him take early retirement. Of course, the budget will be tightened down, but we have so many blessings and we are grateful. He asked me yesterday if I could handle him being around all the time now. I told him I was willing to give it a try for 30 years of so lol. He is so precious, and is truly my best friend. I am blessed. Today, we are going to figure out what kind of TriCare (he is retired AF, so we will have medical insurance) to sign up for.(His company is keeping our insurance for us through the end of Feb. so we have some time to get all the arrangements made, and also get in eye exams, dental cleanings, and checkups). God is good, and so faithful. My prayer is that we will walk in His will for us.

So, have a great day everyone, and DH and I will see how much we can accomplish today.

First of all, I want to commend you both on your excellent attitudes! It will make such a difference during this transistion and time of adjustment. :hug3:

Second of all, I hope you will forgive me for a moment of aggravation towards these people for doing this to y'all. argggghhhh! :tapfoot: That is rotten!

I have got a long way to go before my turn to spend day after day with my best friend and hubby, but, I have to admit, I'm looking forward to it. So, on that measure! Congrats! :darlenedance:

I hope MrMomM gets to spend more time on his music! :band2:

And, I can't help but think how applicable the Nehemiah study is during this. :pray:

OK first good luck on your 'vacation' together. LOL

and

Most people, when they are faceing what you now are don't take in WHAT it costs to 'go to work' when they try and make a life with less pay each week.

I did this years ago to see WHAT I was spending "going to work".

How far does he drive each day to an dfrom work ..... gas costs money!

Does he take a 'lunch' or buy one............$$$$$ saved each week

Need 'clothes' for thwe job.................. man are you goning to save money here!

***AND for Mothers with little kids........... man are you going to save on daycare!!!!!!

adding this in to the retirement issue and you will see you CAN get by with less as it costs money just to go to work.

I don't think you two will have any trouble finding ways to save a bit here and there and enjoy the life you have.

Glad to hear they are a least hold insurance for now........... use it!

:AmishMichael2:

I just read this thread. How is the research going? As far as getting along, I'm sure you two will do fine! Just when we think we are on a steady roll, God upsets the apple cart and sends us on a new route!!!!!! I'll be interested in knowing how life goes for you!

What a wonderful of looking at life MomM. Here's to a happy adventure for you both.

Thank you everyone for all the kind thoughts and advice. It's been a whirlwind week, but we have accomplished a lot. DH applied for unemployment benefits, and yesterday he applied for early retirement with social security (we should know in about a week how soon that will take effect).

We had eye exams yesterday and ordered new glasses for each of us (will be paid for by our flex spending account -either use it or lose it). We have arranged for TriCare Prime to take effect on March 1 (DH is retired Air Force). We are truly blessed to have it so much easier than so many people who are laid off, and we are truly thankful. Budget will be tightened, but living more simply will be fine (may have to give up cable, and DH will miss the history channel but that is ok too if it comes to that). Last time he was laid off, we had 5 kids, all at home, plus my dear mother with Alzheimer's. It took almost 3 years to get a job then. God was so very good to us then, and got us through it and we came out stronger and better people for it. So, that is why it is easier to see all the blessings he is giving us this time (and really every day since that time)

Another sweet blessing has been , DH has been receiving emails from friends present and from the past (and one was a college buddy from the 70's). So very nice.

Hope today to start cleaning out the basement and reorganizing it. Today's temp may hit 50! Wow, a heat wave for us. Yea, the sun is shining or at least kind of. lol

Take care my friends. Have a great day!

So glad to hear the update! Y'all have accomplished so much this week! You are aren't going to just survive...you're going to thrive!! :hug3:

As to the History Channel, you'd be surprised how many shows you can watch on the internet. Maybe he won't have to miss out after all.

Also, as to the Flex Spending account. You may can get 3 month supplies of each of your meds with the cooperation of your doctor. Don't forget dental check ups! Check on the particulars of exactly what it will allow to be 'paid' for. You may be surprised.

Much love to you both!

MomM--Congratulations on your new adventure. A word of warning though. When my DH retired three months after I did, he became very 'helpful'--being an expert in organizing kitchens , cooking (by revising my recipes-doing things easier-faster- cheaper), laundry (faster-easier- cheaper by dumping all things together-drying everything in a hot dryer so it would be faster-easier-cheaper), the financial expert in saving money (as you can see-easier-faster-cheaper), etc. I couldn't find anything for a while. We even had a gigantic garage sale before moving. He was very helping clean out, deciding what I needed and didn't. Since we were retired now, 'we' did not need a lot of the stuff. So 'we' got rid of it. Now I am replacing a lot of it (canning jars, tools,etc.)

frying%20pan.gif

I think he thought that we would run and play--no more work. At the garage sale, a couple was looking at stuff. My DH was being ever so helpful trying to get rid of things. The woman came over to me and ask me if she could ask a personal question. Of course, I said yes. She wanted to know if my DH had just retired. I was surprised, and I told her yes. She said," Oh, honey, I've been there and done that. It will take about a year and he will get tired of that. It will get better. Just find him a hobby and you will be just fine." Her hubby laughed and agreed. My friends who were helping nearly fell out of there chairs laughing. They had already heard it all from me. DH got his feelings hurt because 'he was just trying to help'. Lo and behold, It did take about year. Now I just smile and say don't you think it is time to go to the golf course and see your buddies--all retired gentlemen whose wives have also sent them there. Even in the snow, sleet, sand storms, wind, someone is always calling wanting to play golf. He does work there 2 afternoons a week so he can play free.

:woohoo:

Times are much harder now than 8 years ago. He has admitted he was wrong in getting rid of lot of stuff and doesn't say a word when I find something to may us more self sufficent. Money is tighter , but we are also more frugal now. So a word of caution, don't get rid of anything just because. And yes, life is an adventure now. I wouldn't trade it or Dh for anything. God bless you both as you embark upon what is in store for you both.:24:

Archived