MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ice Storm Coming

Carie

Well, according the the national weather people, the local weather and facebook friends all agree that we have managed to be situated in the terrible pink band of ice that is coming with today's storm. I'm ready for snow, got lots of food and I just don't go anywhere. Ice however, is a different story. Once the power goes out (and it does) we are screwed. Dh hates propane, so when we bought this doublewide he made sure it was all electric. Electric heat, electric range, electric hot water heater. The only thing propan on our almost 4 acres is the gas grill. Outside. 3 years ago we had a minor ice storm. It was nasty for about 6 hours and our power went out after 1.5 hrs of sleet. The kids and I hunkered down for most of the day in the warmest bedroom but eventually we had to leave. Went to mil's house 5 miles away, they had power. Anyway, even though the temps got back up to almost 50 the next day it took the power company 3 days to restore our power. 3 days. I begged dh then to buy us a generator, but he put it off....wouldn't consider kerosene heaters (he has asthma and they trigger attacks for him). So we still have nothing. I am scared. Dh just left for work. He told me if the power went off I was to set the faucets to drip and go to a friend's house.....they have a gas heater in their basement.....but they won't have any water so I will have to haul as much as I can with me. I am terrified. If the ice gets bad enough for us to lose power, the roads aren't going to be pleasant, even if her house is only 5 miles away. I have 2 little babies (3 and 8 months). For all I know, dh won't even make it home tonight....he works 1 hr. away. And ds #1 will be at school. Which is 10 miles away. There is no way I will be able to fetch him if they don't run the buses. Dh said that he would get him on his way through, but he would have to make it there first. I am so frustrated and upset about this situation. I just keep praying that God will somehow keep our lights on, or help the guys to get them back on quick. We are moving soon so I am praying that we get someplace that has other options. All the food/water/meds in the world don't help if you don't have heat in the winter.

I'm praying for all of us in this storm. If you don't hear from me, we are out of power. I will update again when I can.

Blessings,

Carie

Carie, quickly turn on the oven and put every brick you have lying around in it. If they power should go out, it's give you some time to bridge with a warm brick wrapped in a towel. Leave all bricks there, just in case and oven on no matter the cost now.

You could heat more bricks on a later moment with the help on the gasgrill.

Can the grill be taken inside or is it bricked in?

You don't want to be on the road with two babies in those conditions. Is there time to get a gas powered heater?

Great idea for the bricks. There is nothing that says you cannot cook something while the bricks are in there. Perhaps something in a casserole that can be wrapped in insulation (think towels, blankets, etc) to stay warm so the ya'll can eat. Hot water in a thermos can be used later to make some tea or instant coffee.

Remember if you bring the grill in, it is GAS. You have to have a window lightly open or someway to get fresh air wherever and every time you use the grill.

We live in southern indiana and most of the ice is north of us, we were set to have a bunch of ice. We are kinda in the same boat. Electric everything in the trailer and my parents house, but luckily my grandma lives on the property and has some natural gas floorboard heaters. The threat of the storm got my dad and fiance moving to get the generators going again though.

I hope everything goes ok for you, I will keep you in my prayers. If you do go on the road, make sure you have plenty of blankets, some emergency blankets too if you have them. Would it be possible to go to your friends house before it gets bad?

Thanks for the ideas. If we still have power tonight I think I will turn the furnace way up too so that it gets super warm in here. That might buy us some time. And I need to get baking. My nerves are a mess. We are welcome at my friends at any time, I know, but I just want to stay home as long as possible. I am just so angry at dh for letting us be in this position again. I keep trying to tell myself that I can't control everything, but this would have been so simple to fix. A small generator and some electric heaters would have done the trick. I dont' mind doing without. I would have figured out food. I don't mind no lights, we have books, etc. My anger is spilling over onto the kids and that isn't fair either. I just want to scream.

It's all good, I suppose. I keep praying. Maybe if the power goes out it will just be for a while. Maybe it won't go out at all. Maybe.......

Stay warm everyone!

Blessings,

Carie

We have a few of the old soapstone bed warmers (square flat stone with a metal handle) from Years gone by and during long power outages in the cold months they work GREAT!

We just put them on the stove to heat up, wrap in towels and put in bed by feet after rubbing them all over the sheets to warm them up. They stay warm all night long.

Speaking of staying warm when power is out:

Stay in bed the most you can and wear a hat and mittens if you have them. You lose most body heat out of your head! Really.

And if your hands are warm you will 'feel' warmer all over.

The Best:

stay in one room all together, close the doors or if you are in the living room put up blankets over doorway so the heat stays in that room. Make a run to the restroom or kitchen to get what you need then right back to that one room. Just watch it if you are burning candles or lamps as you are using up the good air burning so if you feel light -headed air out the room a bit by dropping the blankets. Open window curtains on any window that faces the sun and keep all the other ones covered to also keep in the heat.

If you get hit by this storm good luck and take care............. and come back with a report of how it went so others can learn.

:AmishMichael2:

Oh u guys have me worried for u all!! I'll b prayin. We r in a trailer all electric and dh said we couldn't hook ip generator. We dodged storm couple weeks ago but has me thinking about getting some electric heaters to run for next time.

Carie here in Shelby County we are still doing ok.. I have heard of a few outages in the area but nothing too major just yet. I am waiting on the snow now. We've had reports with predictions from 2-20 inches.. The ice is everywhere here right now.. The trees are beautiful. We have our oil lamps filled, kerosene has been gathered. Extra water jugs filled.. And the campstove is near. That's all we can do to hunker down now that we live in town. My MIL has a fireplace and a woodstove 5 miles away. If needed the 8 of us can load up and go out there if power is lost and stays out for a long period. Hope all is well in your area. Take care.

Oh u guys have me worried for u all!! I'll b prayin. We r in a trailer all electric and dh said we couldn't hook ip generator. We dodged storm couple weeks ago but has me thinking about getting some electric heaters to run for next time.

OK but what if you lose power?

If the furnice willl not work because the power went out...... the electric heats will not work . :shrug:

I am just so angry at dh for letting us be in this position again. I keep trying to tell myself that I can't control everything, but this would have been so simple to fix. A small generator and some electric heaters would have done the trick.

Carie, perhaps a thought, not for now cos you're run down on your feet probably already but... When all is calm again, how about you checking out a genny and heaters?

If you DH has some kind of blocking to make him take this step, than why not take the responsibility in your own hands and do it?

It may not be the type of marriage you are in with you making such decisions on your own. I respect that.

But you sound like a really smart woman and real survivalists mentality. If I had a partner who didn't do something I feel essential for the survival of our family (for whatever reason) I'd not let it rest.

For now, hang in there and I so hope for you and all others in the path of the storm, it doesn't bring too much inconvenience.

Dh bought a generator! I pointed out to him that a friends business had them, 4, and that they would go quick and he got us one. It got here about 10 p.m. last night.....we've got oil, gas, electric space heaters (It won't run the whole house), extension cords, etc. The relief I feel is amazing! He said he bought it just to shut me up, but that's ok (and he said it in the most loving way, lol). He has already thought of several ways he can bless other family members and friends with its use if it comes to that......

And, bless his heart, he stayed home from work today (shouldn't have been on the roads anyway, but you know) because he didn't want me to have to deal with hooking it up if/when the power goes out. So far we still have power, but I am not fearful anymore!

Thank you all so much for the advice and prayers. Thank you for giving me a place to vent! You guys are great. Now the rest of my preps and going to get a good use (dh stopped for some milk/eggs/bread yesterday on his way home from work and said everywhere was a madhouse and most places were OUT). He even commented that now that we have the genny we are ready for everything, I don't know about that but I do feel much better about things.

I've been doing laundry non stop since yesterday morning. I think I have one more regular load to run through the washer/dryer and then I will do another small load of diapers. We have throw aways but I am hoping to no have to use them. Getting ready to go bake something. Dh also found an old camp stove in the garage that he used when he was baching it years ago....and some butane to run it. And the genny will run the stove (alone) if we need it to. As soon as the next wave of stuff comes in (about noon)....we will probably lose power. Ice is covering everything. I will check back in throughout the day if I have internet though......and when the power comes back on I will let you know how we fared.

Stay safe Buttercup :) We are in Jasper, just a little south of you!

Blessings,

Carie

Excellent news, Carie! I didn't read this thread last night! The only other thing that I would add to the advice that was already given (in case we have lurkers in a similar situation!) is to fill up the bathtubs with hot water. The hot water can keep the bathroom warm for awhile and still be used to flush the toilet. It can also help to keep the tub drain from freezing up.

It has started snowing here in Central NY, though the brunt of the storm shouldn't hit us until after midnight. I loaded up the animals with food and brought in some more firewood. I will be going to work today around noon, but should be home by 9pm. I'm not willing to take any chances at geting caught at work. Depending on the severity of the storm, I might just declare tomorrow to be a snow day.

Carie just don't try hooking the genny up to the main breaker box (anything 'grid connected' unless you REALLY know what you are doing...IIRC you need a proper transfer switch and more) Just plug stuff into an inverter fed off the genny. And space heaters will draw a lot of power...

Thanks! Yeah, we aren't hooking it to the breaker box, just the stuff we absolutely need and only 1 or 2 things at a time. The friend that owns the business that we got this from said it should be able to handle 2 space heaters or some lights or the fridge or the freezer. So we will be rotating it around as we need it. They are saying the ice should be here right now, but so far nothing. Dh and son #2 went to town and got a lot more gas so we should be good to go. They are firing up the genny for a testing run right now. And I finished the last of the laundry and a small load of diapers is hanging to dry. I'm getting ready to cook lunch so that meal will be done and we do have lunchmeat/peanut butter, etc.

Blessings,

Carie

Don't take this wrong but......................

I hope you lose power - just for 1/2 day anyway!!!!!

That way he can be the 'man' and take care of you and also that way it was NEEDED!

nothing will make him feel better then knowing HE did the right thing.

Good Luck.

****by the way--- NEVER put it anywhere next to the house where the fumes can get into the house?

under a window, in a garage UNDER the Trailer! You hear stories all the time of this happening and the people die inside of stay warm.

:AmishMichael2:

Excellent new Carie. Give your hubby a big cuddle from across the ocean.

He did well to make sure his family is not in the cold should the power fail.

Thanks for the tip about placement....the place we planned to put it is away from doors and windows :) Should be good. He fueled it up and plugged a heater in to make sure everything was a go and made sure that ds#1 (13) knew how to work it to just in case for another time. He even said that he hoped it went out. He isn't of a prepper mentality really so I have to bring him around very slowly. LOL He said it was worth the money for me not to be freaked out all night. I agree.

We still have power but the sleet has been coming down hard for about 30 mins now so I don't know how much longer it can last. I've got the last load of dishes from lunch in the dishwasher so I hope it is able to finish running. Otherwise we are good. I am going to get some reading and knitting done later tonight :)

Blessings,

Carie

Cangratulations, Carie on the new genny. Peace of mind is very important--especially with two very young ones. Your hubby does know that or he wouldn't have gotten one. AH is right. A short dry run would be good practice. Stay safe and warm.

We did not have good luck with an old butane stove. Please test it outside, wearing a heavy coat and a face scarf/safety glasses. Just in case.

My thoughts, too, Ambergris!

Carie, please read this thread:

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40705&st=0&p=340725

And do an online search to see what others say about that particular model, or to see if it has been recalled.

Test it outside... far away from your house!

:bighug2:

Archived