MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm amazed

gofish

Wormy, My niece was over last night using my laptop to do some homework. I noticed that she kept looking towards the kitchen, so I asked if she was hungry. She said yes, but her mom commented about her being hungry ALL the time. I said that she must have a hollow leg, and she got so tickled I thought she would wake up DH with her laughing. She had never heard that before...said she was going to tell all her friends that Aunt Trudy said that she had a hollow leg lol! Kids!!

gofish~ Don't tell me these things!!!! DS #1 is almost 3 and would probably eat the entire jar of peanut butter by himself. He was snagging chocolate chip cookies yesterday (now on the top of the fridge to avoid little fingers). DD always tells me she's hunger.

I have a 16 yo one of those. Couple days ago he asked me to make peanut butter balls. I made a double batch...used almost a whole jar...along with honey and powdered milk...24 hours later they were gone...I think I got 1.

Granted...he does bike to and from school and is on the track team....but still....:grinning-smiley-044:

Don't tell me these things!! My preps aren't going to last a week! LOL

Welcome to my world. Try having 3 boys go through "I am hungry" at the same time :0327: That is one reason I learned to cook from scratch. It sure was cheaper to make a batch of cookies than it was to go buy them. I still buy the big canisters of peanut from Sam's. We are in crisis meltdown mode here if there is no milk, bread or peanut butter.

Maybe this is one of the reasons I had 5 girls! lol My youngest is 9 and she almost eats like a boy sometimes. We have dubbed her a hobbit, lol. She can eat a 4 egg omelette and then help me finish mine! When I marvel at how much she can eat, she says I'm a hobbit mom, remember! She is so precious wink%20(2).gif

How a 14 year boy go through a gallon of milk. a loaf of bread, and 1/2 a jar of peanut butter in one day and not gain weight.

This is on top of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I remember that myself. I'd come home from school, eat some candy out of my stash, and fix a sammich. Then walk the dog and prep for dinner (or do dinner outright). Then eat dinner. Then eat bedtime snack...I didn't hit 100 lbs till I was almost 19.

When both me AND my older brother were in that phase it was not pretty.

So when we prep do we count each teen as 2 people?

Actually you have a good point there. Teens need way more food.

100 years ago people were much shorter due to limited food in growing years. Lack of strength, illness, it's connected.

I rarely eat more than 1500 cal a day and usually less, even working hard on the farm. I remember my brother would fill a serving bowl with stew or chili or spaghetti and go back for seconds while I ate half a regular bowl. My other brother once ate 65 pancakes at a boy scout breakfast and could eat a 5 pound bag of apples at one sitting. Neither of them fat, BTW. It was nearly impossible to fill them up.

I think counting a teen boy as 2 people isn't quite adequate. 4 is more like it, IMHO.

Geez... I sooo do not envy my fiends when their SEVEN sons become teens!! God willing they won't have any more before then, they're barely ecking by financially as is right now! Can you imagine feeding 7 hollow legs at once plus 2 parents!? could be worse I know.. my other friend's dad was one of TEN boys!

Oh goodness...my DS is going to be 7 next month and he is already starting on the ravenous phase. Seconds at nearly every meal, two or three snacks a day, and sometimes he'll get up from bed after I put him there and complain that "My tummy is telling me I need to eat again!!!" LOL Wow, if this is seven, I can't imagine sevenTEEN!

Especially with groceries going up and up and UP.... :banghead:

This is why moms used to make a lot of potatoes! Filling and cheap and you can grow them yourself :) I have 1 16yo son that has a mild appetite compared to my 13 yo and 9 yo. The 9 yo is going through a growth spurt and is constantly hungry! My two older teens are bean poles so I figure if they are hungry they need it! I plan to count each of them as at least 2 people and plan accordingly!

Archived