MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Do You Do?

Jeepers

I would rather do without something than have a repair person in my house. It makes me so uncomfortable. The problem is I don't know what to do with myself while they are here. I don't want to flit around the house. Or sit like a lazy lump watching TV staying out of their way. I won't leave the house alone with a stranger in it. I'm not afraid of them. I just feel so awkward.

This Friday I am having the window panes (16 of them) replaced in the bay window in my livingroom. They are a mess and way overdue to be replaced. I've put it off as long as I can because I don't want strangers in my house. I don't know how many guys are coming but they will be here all day. ALL. DAY.

I can't believe I get in such a state over this, every time. :0327:

What do you do with yourself when repair people come to your house?

Personally, I watch them, make sure they work, check on them regularly, chat a little with "what are you doing/why do you have to do that" type questions, and make sure they don't go where they should not or take anything. There has been times where I learned the job they were doing, was just as easy for me to do, if it ever needed to be done again.

I go about doing things that I need/want to be doing and generally stay out of their way, but in sight of them. My trust meter runs very low when strangers are in my home.

Grab a book, sort your recipes, work on your laptop, sew on the button you've put off...... Think up quiet, small projects to do all day. Have a sandwich, etc made up for lunch if the kitchen is not in view of this work being done.

I also ask lotsa questions. I don't answer many tho.... :o I make sure certain prepping types of books or tools are not lying around. I don't have much in the way of 'valuables' so I'm not worried about looking affluent enough to come back for theft.

I also don't let the dog get near enough to be introduced to the work folks; tho available if I'd need her. They are strangers and remain so for her. When the inevitable question arises...She's SO big; is she friendly? "Well usually but................y'know I just don't like to take any chances cuz she's soooo big. :shrug:

:unsure: What I find really uncomfortable is needing to go to the bathroom. This house is SO small that...well...it's uncomfortable with strangers milling about just outside the door. I run in quick whenever they have to go to their truck. :)

MtRider :behindsofa: Rather be a hermit... ;)

I think I'll set up my sewing machine on the kitchen table and see if I can come up with a couple of baby quilt tops.

Putting recipes in the computer sounds good too. I have a bunch of dried mix "gift in a jar" ones that need put in and printed out.

I've been putting off downloading all of my music cd's into the computer and transferring them to a jump drive. D-ex wants a copy of them. We are still best friends so I suppose I could do that. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I won't be able to see him/them from the kitchen table but I would see if they left the room. I wanted to dry some more carrots but will wait until the coast is clear. None of my preps are visible.

Thanks for the support. I feel like a big baby.

Most of us are just toooooooooo naive in this startlingly vicious world. Too many folks Don't take precautions and are sorry. Your reflexes are correct. Be cautious....be more cautious every year! Sad but prudent. :yar:

MtRider :grouphug:

Bean there - Done that!

now, you can't 'follow' them into the bathroom (if they need it) :sHa_sarcasticlol: so put away things you don't want them to see.

also as stated stay close but NOT on top of them. - I can work and get the job done in 3 hours but if the people are 'hovering' it takes long (costing more money) AND if the man wants to help here and there THEN it take 2 extra hours to finish!

offer drink (water,coffee,tea) and ask if they NEED anything but not evey 10 minutes.

REMEBER at the end they will be gone and YOU will have nice new windows! LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

BATHROOM! I didn't think about that one. :faint3: I suppose they can use the 1/2 bath off the livingroom where they will be any way. The toilet takes forever to refill and the sink leaks.

I've got my quilting material all washed and ironed ready to be cut and sewn. I'll probably have a new baby quilt top and new livingroom windows by the end of the day.

I already got some bottled water and put it in the fridge for them. I plan to stay out of their way, make it as easy for them as I can so they can hurry and get the heck out of Dodge.

I'd even hand feed them fried bologna sandwiches if they'd work straight through lunch time. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'm like Annarchy. I watch them, and talk with them, making sure they do what they say they did, and to learn how to do it myself, next time. The kids & dogs are always around too, as are my special friends Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.:grinning-smiley-044:

We had all of the windows replaced last year and there was only 1 man to do the job. I just couldn't believe he could do it in 2 days, but, he did. Even the big picture window, he did it and I was so shocked.

I did ask him questions and all, but, he did a lot of stuff outside too, so I wasn't worried about that. I did try to stay out of his way as he needed his space. He was in every room, living room, kitchen, bathrooms as well as the bedrooms. So, I was not about to follow him around. Just tried to stay out of his way. He was young and had only been in the states about a year, I think. If I remember right, he was from Poland and had an accent. So, as I said, I asked lots of questions. :) He is married, and has 1 or 2 children, I can't remember how many for sure.

I ask questions of everyone who comes here.

He did eat one meal with us, we ordered pizza and he ate a couple pieces is all. He went to town for his meals otherwise. He never well, maybe once asked to use the bathroom, but, of course he knew where it was. He had his own water/pop/coffee and didn't really take breaks. He wanted to get the work done and as fast as he could. I was so surprised when he was finished as fast as he was.

We had our furnace replaced a few years ago, and of course that is in the basement. I only went down a couple times, I just let them do their job. There were 2 men here for a while and then one had to leave, didn't come back the second day that is.

I guess I do trust people more than I should, but, I just can't be in their way, so keep out of it. :)

Books are nice too, as you can set in a chair and read, baking is good, or even canning is ok to do as long as you aren't in their way.

Hope this helped. :)

Snowie

Thanks Snowmom. I will make small talk and then go do my thing at the kitchen table. The windows will be sealed, double pane inserts and guaranteed for 20 years or some long time...I forget. So, that is one repair skill I'm going to pass on. I'll be 80 years old by the time the warrantee runs out. By then I probably won't notice if I even have windows. :008Laughing:

I just thought, they may do a lot of the work from the outside because they have to putty/glaze or what ever they do around the window frames. I remember the measure person said they would use paintable stuff so I could paint it.

I've settled down and I'm sort of looking foreward to them coming and getting it over with already.

Not that it would happen to you,but...................................

There are some 'not so nice' people around here that want the money BEFORE the job is done and then NEVER Finish the work!

They come up with all kinds of reasons and people believe them!

= = Sorry but we need the money now because:

We need to buy supplies and they don't take checks.

worker needs to leave early and I forgot to bring my checkbook to pay him.

pay now and I will cut $100 off the bill.

You get the picture-

NEVER pay UNTIL the job is done . . . . and you have looked things over!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Good advice, AH! Along with people reacting to present day stresses with anger/violence, there will be/already is an increase in theft and fraud and deception of all kinds.

Sad...how we must force ourselves to be vigilant with others to the point of "guilty until proven innocent".

MtRider :yar:

We had to have our ac & furnace replaced this month and my dh is a real pest with repair men,its a good thing we were given the price before hand or we would have been charged double for all the pestering he did! My long term pantry is in that area and so they saw it as they had to open the doors to get to all the plumbing and duct work but nothing was said as I think he kept distracting them with his questions.I stayed in the livng room as they had to put in a new thermostat in the hall and I could see them-I kept busy with hand work.They were very nice guys,young and there were 3 of them and it was all done in half a day.We are well pleased.

All good tips. This is a nationwide company (not that that really matters, scammers are everywhere, but they are well established). I had to pay 1/4 down and the rest on completion. I put the down payment on a charge card.

I hear a lot about those sort of people after natural disasters hit. People need help NOW and there aren't enough reputable local people to go around. Usually roof, driveway, paint and tree trimming scams.

The window people just called! The price quote they gave me includes the side garage door. Sweeeet. They will be here around 8:00am. Yikes, that's early for this night owl!

Thank you so much Mt Rider!

All is going well here. The three dudes who came here today are actually one dude and two dudettes! He is out numbered and I'm feeling just a little bit empowered. I might have go out there and boss him around a little. :nail:

I've been at the sewing machine and time is flying by. By the end of the day I should have 3 baby quilt tops ready to quilt this winter. They are simple patterns but pretty pastels.

I'm also making a tee shirt to keep aside for painting projects around the house. I bought the tee shirt and am going to make an iron on decal for the back saying, "Wet Paint" in the wet paint font. The words look drippy. If it turn out, I want to make a tank top the same way saying "Paint Tank" Original, huh. :D

• 3 months later...

Long before we started prepping I stopped letting anyone in our house. We use our dogs as an excuse not to pet people in. They are only labs but they sound like they'll take a limb off anyone who steps on the property.

Now that we've been prepping we are even less willing to let anyone near our house. My brother and father help with any thing DH and I cant do to fix the house and when the cable people come we have them leave the equipment and we install it snd call headquarters if we need help.

No one comes in my house!

I wish I could be that way! I live alone and even if I had the 'know how' I wouldn't have the strength to do a lot of repairs. I think more and more people are shying away from letting repair people in. Maybe I could borrow your DH for a few hours! Pweeeze :D

I put away my valuable jewelry. Some I put on, like my rings.

Then, I always let my neighbors know that I will be here alone if my dh is not going to be here. They usually call and check on me. I keep my cell phone with me, too.

I sit and work at the computer when repairmen are here. I just hate it, too ! Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Archived