MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flax Seed?

On a recent trip to Dollar Tree, I discovered that they now carry bags of flax seed. (I think that they are 1lb bags) Anyway, I vaguely remember reading that flax seed isn't really beneficial when it is whole and needs to be crushed or ground to release the benefits. I also thought that flax seed oil and other products were pretty expensive. At any rate, my question is:

Should I be stocking up on this and what would I use it for?

Tha main thing is it's a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for the body and the brain. Studies show that a deficiency on omega-3 is one of the most common contributing factors for individuals facing metnal health issues. It's highly concentrated in the brain, as an effective memory booster. It's important for effecient cognitive performance. Deficiency symptoms include extreme fatigue, poor memeory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings or depression, mania or anxiety and poor circulation. Omega-3 supplementation has been shown to help with both depression and bipolar disorders. In fact, researchers in the UK found that 70% of depressed individuals who did not respond to ANY medication responded positively to omega-3 supplementation! (Archives of General Psychiatry vol 59, 2002)

Flax seed is a better source that fish oil because you don't have to be concerned about mercury contamination like you do with fish. 1 ounce of ground flaxseed has 6388 mg of omega-3. Flax is also a very good source of tryptophan, an amino acid needed for serotonin production.

Try this recipe:

1/4 cup ground wlanuts

1.4 cup flaxseed meal

12 Tbsp brown sugar

1/8 tsp salt

Mix well and sprinkle on fruit, toast or cereal. the entire recipe contains 9000 mg of omega-3.

Great information DayLily .. thanks ... I have some Bob's Red Mill, but I don't think I've ever found any refrigerated ... till I got it home. Haven't tried it yet. But I'm going to make this for DHs oatmeal ...

DD uses flax seed to make a gel for her long, beautiful, incredibly thick and curly hair. She's been looking for something for several years to replace the products she's used to keep it under control without breaking the bank ... she's thrilled with the results of the flaxseed gel she makes!!!

Thanks for the ideas! I knew that flax seed was healthy, but I didn't have a clue as to what I should do with it. I thought about feeding some to my birds to increase the nutrition in their eggs. I suppose I'd need to get a grinder. That is one prep that I don't have yet. I guess I'll start shopping around for one. I think that I had some oatmeal packets that said that they had flax seed in them, but that must have been awhile ago. I don't buy many packets of oatmeal and I'm certain that these would have been name brand. None of the oatmeal packets that I have had in the past year have been name brand... I like to leave them in my desk drawer at work in case I forget to bring lunch.

The flax seed gel is an effective egg replacement; it is also useful in baked goods substituted measure for measure for the fat. it has a nice nutty taste, so yes, be sure to refrigerate it. it's one of my fave things for adding to my 'sneaky white bread' for health food haters. I also add oat bran. Funny thing about how folks for for 'multi-grain bread' as long as they don't know now many health foods you put in there!

Do you think I could grind flax seed in a Magic Bullet? I don't have a coffee grinder.

You sure can! That's what I use. I use the shorter container and the flat blade. It works great. I do about 1/2 c at a time and pause a few seconds during grinding. The instructions say not to run it more that 60 sec at a time. Sometimes you need to shake the container to redistribute the seeds and then grind another couple of seconds or so.

thats why I like the flax seed and oat bran, martianchick. my DH did not like whole grains (he really could taste the bitterness of the whole wheat) so I used the oat bran for extra fiber. It made the taste of the bread slightly sweeter, and it had tan 'freckles' but they did not offend any of the whole grain haters I ever baked for. Anadama bread also worked well, the cornmeal made it golden colored. I used to sneak in the health food, then when it was pronounced 'good' I would let it slip that it was a healthier version.

do you have any of the bread recipes you could post here?

Yes. Im locally known as a good bread baker. Although I burn cookies and my cakes fall, I have 'the touch' for bread. Here is my most fool-proof recipe.

PLAIN BUT GOOD WHITE BREAD (makes 3 large loaves or 4 one-pound size)

1/2 cup hot tap water (hot enough to hold your hands in for 5 seconds)

1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar

2 packets dry yeast

1/4 cup lard, shortening, cheapo margarine, butter, or other fat (oil OK)

1 Tablespoon salt

3 cups hot tap water (hot enough for the hands for 5 seconds)

1/4 cup nonfat instant dry milk

1/2 cup sugar

5 cups all purpose white flour

6 more cups flour (this is where I add the 'extras')

Dissolve the 1 ½ TB sugar in ½ cup hot tap water, then dissolve yeast in it. Set aside. In large bread bowl, combine salt, shortening, 3 cups warm (hot tap) water, dry milk, and remaining sugar. Mix with a mix master (electric hand mixer). Add yeast mixture, mix again. Add 5 cups flour, and beat with mixer for 3 minutes (do not short the time). Stir in remaining flour by hand. Turn out on a floured board, knead 5 min. (by the clock, do not short the time). Let rest, wash out the large mixing bowl and dry it, then grease it lightly (cooking spray works nicely here).

Put dough in pan, flip to grease the top. Cover with wet, clean towel and let rise in warm place 30 min. Punch down, flip again and let rise again until doubled in size. Remove from pan, punch down on floured board. Knead a few minutes to get out air bubbles (I use a rolling pin to make sure they are all popped). Shape in loaves, put in greased pans. Cover with wet towel again, and let rise until no more than 1 inch higher than the bread pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes for loaves. (If making rolls, then start checking them after 18-20 min.) When done to taste (medium brown and will sound hollow when thumped on bottom) remove from oven. Remove from pans immediately and grease hot loaves (ouch!) or spray with cooking spray (messier but less painful) right away then cool on racks. This final greasing makes a softer crust.

The 2nd addition of flour is where I put in any modifications. I add 1 cup oat bran for 1 cup of the flour, or substitute other flours for up to 3 cups of the white. My favorite combination is to add 1 cup oat bran, and 1/2 cup soy flour and omit 1 1/2 cups of the white flour. This, together with the dry milk used in the recipe gives me a golden loaf with tan freckles. Protein and fiber is increased with none of the bitterness of wheat bran. I have substituted up to half the oil or fat with flax seed. I use it ground (finer texture). I also like to use a cornmeal-rye mix for some of the white flour, using molasses for a sweetener. But if you don't have the feel for bread, make it plain the first few times so you can get a feel for the right texture.

(The dough should feel like a baby's butt when you pinch it gently while you make up the loaves.)

Hope this helps - it really is easier than it looks.

Great information DayLily .. thanks ... I have some Bob's Red Mill, but I don't think I've ever found any refrigerated ... till I got it home. Haven't tried it yet. But I'm going to make this for DHs oatmeal ...

DD uses flax seed to make a gel for her long, beautiful, incredibly thick and curly hair. She's been looking for something for several years to replace the products she's used to keep it under control without breaking the bank ... she's thrilled with the results of the flaxseed gel she makes!!!

Good idea about the hair gel!

Kappydell, that sounds like a yummy bread!

thanks for the recipe Kappy ... will be trying this soon!!

Martian, I know you was talking about flax seed and food but the only thing I know about flax seed is that it makes a good medium for microwave bags. A small one is good for the forehead for sinus headaches and a medium one for the stomach or foot warmer. Add a little essential oil added for effect.

ohh, good tip jeepers!! thanks. DD got me a store-bought one for Christmas one year, but whatever is inside it stinks so bad I cannot stand to have it on my face!!!

Archived