MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Zucchini in a Dehydrater ?

Still have a lot of zucchini for making bread but have lots in freezer - But want to make more later on and just freezing the graded zucchini does do the best job?

SO I was thinking maybe Dehydrating the Zucchini would work?

Now I need to hear from those of you that DO IT THAT WAY.

Been drying herbs , teas, apples, etc. and a few other things in Dehydrater but want to know about this?

Thanks,

:AmishMichaelstraw:

We had a bumper crop of zucchini this year and dehydrated a lot of it. We slice it in rounds and dry it about 12 hours. Depends on how thick you slice the zucchini. We don't slice it really thick nor do we make it paper thin.

Some of the sliced rounds we put into mylar bags for later use in soups, stews, Sun Oven meat dishes. (I keep my mylar bags of dehydrated stuff in food grade 5 gallon buckets.) I don't rehydrate them before I put them in recipes as it has been my experience that there is more than enough moisture to rehydrate them.

Some of the dried zucchini we throw in the blender to make zucchini powder. We use it to season and thicken and add nutrition to various things we make. We keep the powder in mason jars. We have powder of most of the veggies we dry from onions to zucchini to broccoli, etc., etc. I use the powders a lot. As I said they make a good thickener for soups and stews, even gravies, and you get the added nutrition you don't get from corn starch or flour.

I just got to wondering if we could add the zucchini powder to our home ground wheat flour to make zucchini bread. Hum. The consistency would be different but the flavor would be the same. I see experimental baking in the next few days. :yum3:

I haven't dehydrated zucchini but I did find some pretty good info on Google. One site said the chips were good for dipping in salsa but I couldn't find it again.

Hope this helps.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=14911.0

http://maryz-lit-ll-corner.blogspot.com/2011/08/plastic-free-preserving-drying-zucchini.html

http://www.simplycanning.com/dehydrating-foods-zucchini.html

Some of the dried zucchini we throw in the blender to make zucchini powder. We use it to season and thicken and add nutrition to various things we make. We keep the powder in mason jars. We have powder of most of the veggies we dry from onions to zucchini to broccoli, etc., etc. I use the powders a lot. As I said they make a good thickener for soups and stews, even gravies, and you get the added nutrition you don't get from corn starch or flour.

Now THAT sounds like something to try!

I was wondering IF I graded it first would the piees fall though the trays before they dried - or after? :shrug:

Still have a lot of zucchini for making bread but have lots in freezer - But want to make more later on and just freezing the graded zucchini does do the best job?

SO I was thinking maybe Dehydrating the Zucchini would work?

Now I need to hear from those of you that DO IT THAT WAY.

Been drying herbs , teas, apples, etc. and a few other things in Dehydrater but want to know about this?

Thanks,

When we rehydrate zucchini slices or chunks, they have a little bit more chewy texture, sort of like a cooked mushroom. I've never tried drying grated but it seems like it would work in bread. I don't think it would matter if it was more chewy than frozen. It might be more like a dried fruit and then again it might be just like fresh zucchini. Try it and see!

Now WHY haven't I ever thought of that?!? I have the dehydrator and the blender, I just never put the two together! :misc-smiley-231: See, this is why I come to this sight - - - awesome ideas like THAT! :thumbs::bow:

Now THAT sounds like something to try!

I was wondering IF I graded it first would the piees fall though the trays before they dried - or after? :shrug:

In the video up there she shows dehydrating zucchini in chips and grated. Her trays have a screen on them. Mine doesn't have screens but I use wax paper on the trays so nothing falls through. I do corn and peas that way. Come to think of it, I dry nearly all of my veggies that way because it keeps the trays and the bottom of the dehydrator cleaner. I use the paper 4-5 times before I change it if I'm drying the same thing.

I shredded my zucchini coarse and dried it. Used it for casseroles, zucchini bread (after rehydrating), and soups (just threw it in. The chips were OK for me, buy me DH said they tasted to 'green'. They also went very nicely into spaghetti sauce. Gave it texture.

Archived