MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Complete Meal in a jar Mixes

I don't know if this has already posted before, but this lady has some great recipes using freeze dried and dehydrated ingredients for a complete meal. I am going to make some of these jars and put in storage. Make sure and read all the comments she gives more information and with the oxygen absorb. said they should last 5-7 yrs.

Here's the links to her page:

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/04/emergency-preparedness-and-everyday.html

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/07/4-new-convenience-meals-in-jar-recipes.html

Sorry if someone has already posted these.

Denise

:woohoo:

I don't know if it has been posted before or not but I don't remember seeing it. Looks like I have some copy & pasting in my near future. Thanks!

:pc_coffee:

Yeah me too!! I love the way everything is together and not searching for things. I'm going to make some of these up, she has many pages and I think coming out with a book. Anyway her posts are informative and great recipes!

Actually, Katz I was looking for something like this. How nice to organize some 'meals' this way!

They all looked good and you can always reuse the jar, so its less landfill.

One thing about tvp is that it is cholesterol free and generally it doesn't have too much sodium, although the powdered cheese sauce does have quite a bit, I realized recently when I went to fill a jar with some for easy to reach usage in my kitchen.

but a quarter cup of that sauce can be stretched out thinner and not be so bad on sodium count.

but if you have no such concerns, then its very handy to set these up.

It could also be a way to introduce someone to the very concept of dehydrated meals! Plus you can add your own spices as you like!

Thanks Katz for posting this. I found the site about a month ago and intended to post about it. Things have been kinda hectic around my house lately, and I forgot to make the post. Already have my pics waiting, so I guess I'll go ahead while I'm reminded of it! I made the rice-y-roni and my family loved it. If you scroll about 1/3 of the way down, you will find the recipe on the far right. I always have to change things to suit me so I used some mini vermicelli instead of the broken spaghetti- it's just like the real rice a roni! You find it in wal-mart on the isle with the ramen noodles. (they also have the tiny abc noodles that I use in my dry soup mix) post-7458-056543300 1336721158_thumb.jpg post-7458-089729200 1336721214_thumb.jpg I used 1 C vermecilli 1 C converted rice (and in a snack bag I put) 2 T sodium free granulated chicken boullion 2 Tdry onions 2 t dry parsley and 1 t garlic powder.

Jill, some of us get the cans of dehydrated foods and already cook with them. Its good to try them and see if you like them or can figure out what to make with them. Some things are going to be stronger flavored than you would think and you just have to fool around a bit. Powdered cheese is going to mix up well with rapid stirring and very hot water, almost boiling or it clumps up, and its fine for sauces and nachos and a dribble on a burrito or taco if you have no other cheese, as examples. I tend to make burritos and stews and soups. and she listed similar things and casseroles. or pasta dishes.

Even though I love fine foods just as much as the next person, delicately fixed and served, one can still make good meals with dehydrated foods. These are very handy to use and will provide protein and nutrients and carbs and such.

I enjoy using the dehydrated fruits and such too.

These can all be spiced up and I know she added spices for each dish that requires them and I add them too to whatever I am making with something like tvp stuff. It works pretty good.

I tried a few different ones at first and am learning to work with the veggies more now. Some I prefer to dehydrate myself though.

I thought it was great this chef put these meals together like that in a quart jar. Very handy and can make a nice gift for someone.

I would certainly like to stock up on more dehydrated goods that are sold like this. I can get far more servings in the space taken in my place, by the large can, than I can with individual regular canned goods and its very simple to rehydrate the items you are using in a bowl or two before you are ready to use the stove, if need be.

I'm a big fan of dehydrated and freeze dried foods. I wrote a Blog entry once entitled "Convenience Food Redefined" based on my experiences with it.

I do want to point out that freeze dried and dehydrated are two different things. Take for instance our normal dried beans and peas, they would take a notable amount of time, fuel and water to prepare. While, the freeze dried beans are ready for the table, tender and tasty in fifteen minutes. Of course, you pay more for that state of preservation.

Jill, some of us get the cans of dehydrated foods and already cook with them. Its good to try them and see if you like them or can figure out what to make with them. Some things are going to be stronger flavored than you would think and you just have to fool around a bit. Powdered cheese is going to mix up well with rapid stirring and very hot water, almost boiling or it clumps up, and its fine for sauces and nachos and a dribble on a burrito or taco if you have no other cheese, as examples. I tend to make burritos and stews and soups. and she listed similar things and casseroles. or pasta dishes.

Even though I love fine foods just as much as the next person, delicately fixed and served, one can still make good meals with dehydrated foods. These are very handy to use and will provide protein and nutrients and carbs and such.

I enjoy using the dehydrated fruits and such too.

These can all be spiced up and I know she added spices for each dish that requires them and I add them too to whatever I am making with something like tvp stuff. It works pretty good.

I tried a few different ones at first and am learning to work with the veggies more now. Some I prefer to dehydrate myself though.

I thought it was great this chef put these meals together like that in a quart jar. Very handy and can make a nice gift for someone.

I would certainly like to stock up on more dehydrated goods that are sold like this. I can get far more servings in the space taken in my place, by the large can, than I can with individual regular canned goods and its very simple to rehydrate the items you are using in a bowl or two before you are ready to use the stove, if need be.

I haven't tried to many dehydrated or freeze dried foods, but some and they have all been pretty good. I agree just having everything together in one jar is a comfort and convenience sometimes. I just thought it was a very neat idea she had come up with. We use these packaged foods that only need water and they're pretty good, so I think if we fixed our own with our own seasonings and flavors we live it would be better. Just my thoughts. I have a long way to go. I'm also making a list and starting the frozen meals in a bag, like that idea, just what if no electricity, it would ruin. This seemed more long term. I also liked her idea to put an old tube sock over them in storing to help protect the jars.

Tube sox are a great way to recycle alllll my sox with holes in the heels. :rolleyes: Mine don't last 6 months!

They also are beginning to sell a plastic device to 'box' up 12 canning jars. Lehman's catalog had some and I saw some of them in one other place. Expensive but would be a good investment in earthquake country. At least give you a better chance.

Putting these meals in the glass jars is one thing I had reservations about. Glass and I don't get along so well on my uncoordinated days. :grinning-smiley-044: So while I love the idea, I might hesitate to take food out of the protection of the #10 cans. :shrug:

MtRider [... n'other use for holely sox :thumbs: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I don't know why that wouldn't be just as good or even better, IF only my foodsaver were working! lol :grinning-smiley-044: I really need to invest in a new one.