MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oh no he didn't.

OK, I'll admit it we wash my cast iron. Some how I just can't use a paper towel and wipe it out.

When I do the dishes I make sure that my cast iron is heated, dry and oiled. I let it smoke a little. I don't have a problem cooking with them after cleaning them that way.

After Dh does the dishes I go heat, dry and oil them. This time I missed doing that . He scrubbed them very well and just sat them on the stove really, really wet.:sad-smiley-012:

this isn't the end of the world....I have bought used cast iron that has been very badly mistreated. Just get the rust cleaned off and reseason them. It takes a little work, but that is one of the many wonderful things about cast iron....you can salvage them as long as they are still in one piece. Hopefully he will rememver not to do that again....but I have had my family do it to me many times...now they leave the cast iron for me to clean

WARNING!!! Man bashing will commence below:

You have to forgive your hubby for that... He is a man and cannot help it. My hubby immersed my crockpot in a sinkful of water to allow it to soak. He did the same thing to the one that I bought to replace it. Hubby is no longer allowed to touch the new crockpot!

Edited by themartianchick

LOL "Man bashing"... It's a man's conspiracy, mess up on our dishes (laundry) and we won't let them do it again. :grinning-smiley-044:

Luckly, cast iron can recover from the rust monster. I have a Lodge that has to be tempered after every use.

My DH does care for our cast iron, only because he really likes them. However, he's not allowed to touch the laundry. :frying pan:

WARNING!!! Man bashing will commence below:

You have to forgive your hubby for that... He is a man and cannot help it. My hubby immersed my crockpot in a sinkful of water to allow it to soak. He did the same thing to the one that I bought to replace it. Hubby is no longer allowed to touch the new crockpot!

Don't you girls know we do that so you 'think' we don't know what we are doing and then you make us stay out of the kitchen! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

DH reseasoned one of ours when we found it had been put away wet. I think he actually enjoyed doing it. It took hours but he was so proud of himself and it looked really good.

So all is not lost on the cast iron pan or the hubby. You could always have him season it.

:bighug2:

I took care of it last night and will work more on it today and there is a reason I won't let him wash my dish towels. :eek3:

MC your crock pots remind me of why I had to get a new toaster. A 4 year olds logic says that if a toaster toast bread it should toast marshmallows too. :campfire:

Actually it was my neighbor John who told me how to season cast iron pans. LOL. He was originally from Indiana , his wife was from an isolated town north of where we lived at the time and had grown up completely rurally oriented. They grew alot of carrots and garlic and when they moved out to larger property finally, I got them a goat and gave them my nice custommade dehydrator I could really use now but had to replace with the round one I have now that does fine anyway. It was as big as the nicer box type ones. They got me interested in gardening and such things as prepping.

Edited by arby
LOL "Man bashing"... It's a man's conspiracy, mess up on our dishes (laundry) and we won't let them do it again. :grinning-smiley-044:

Mine even admitted it after being banned from laundry decades ago. {I don't own a BROWN shirt??? :blink: } But since the MS has stolen great moments from my brain now, I've recinded the ban. He pays attention now but....can't quite get the simple rule of "no undies or sox in the dryer".

Gotta love that cast iron. I don't know how many times I've smelled SOMETHING ....and RAN to the kitchen to get the pan off the stove. I was JUST gonna warm it up for a minute to dry it. :banghead: I'd have set the cabin on fire by now if I owned anything but cast iron. [ :( but that high heat does NOT do even the cast iron any good. :shakinghead: ]

MtRider [.....have to admit to being a space-brain too.... :wacko: ]