MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How does Violet put up with us.?????

On a canning page on fb I belong to, people are talking about dry canning hamburger meat. I promptly tell them that it's dangerous and not an approved way, and they jump all over me about how their grandma did it this way for 40 years and how it is fine and another lady starts quoting the CDC. (really--the CDC) about how it is ok if you boil it first, so I say, why do something that is so dangerous you have to boil it, and then I get a real earful!!

I will just let them do what they want, thank God for violet!! I know she probably gets tired of the same stuff over and over, but at least I know the way I do things is safe!!!bouquet.gif

:bouquet: for Violet! I know I'm a worry-wart, but Violet is always so patient and kind. I appreciate you Violet, and wish the flowers were real! I was telling my aunt yesterday that I canned stew meat the night before and she said "oohhh I didn't know you could even do that .But I don't think I want to eat any of that". It felt good to reply that I was confident that the meat was just as safe as the the canned vegs, jelly and pickles that they always enjoy from my pantry. and tastes so much better than what you buy from the store! Boy that felt good to be able to speak with that kind of confidence because of what I have learned from Violet and MrsS. You are all a great bunch of folks!!

so greatful of the kindness violet has showed me on my questions, and all is true on fb makes me laugh and reminds me of the commercial of the lady waiting for her french model that she met and set a date up with on the internet and she tells her friend he has to be real bc it was on the net lol

Ahhh, you guys are so sweet ! Yes, that is why I do this, because I care about each of you very much ! This is like a family here. I am truly glad to know I have helped you out. I will continue to do so as long as the good Lord lets me.

I am really proud of all of you. I know how much work preserving foods is. Yet, you all do it day after day. Obviously, you all care about yourselves and your loved ones, too. Otherwise you would not can, freeze, dry, and pickle your foods. It is always fun to read what everyone is preserving.

I've been swamped and a cold to boot, now, but wanted to post. I ended up helping one of my mom's friends with some canning that she was doing. She was given a recipe for tomato soup with corn starch. I told her you can't can anything with cornstarch, flour, etc. She said it tasted fine. :faint3: Then she said once it came to a boil, you just put the flat lids on it and let them seal. HUH?!?!? I explained to her that you can't do that ever and she said she didn't think so and I said that's just a breeding ground for botulism and everything else. She said that's what she thought.

I dropped off one of my Ball books and told her to hang on to it until she was done canning.

But I realized just how thankful I was for Violet and all of our questions. :bighug2: