MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How Do You Know if a Canning Book is Legit?

How do you know that a canning book doesn't have recipes that will kill you?

How do you know they've been checked out properly and aren't just "what Grandma used to do"?

I have a book called "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving" that seems okay to me, but that doesn't mean I actually know enough to know whether the recipes in it are alright.

Violet can give you better info, but this is how I start...

I looked it up on Amazon, because they usually show all editions.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Complete+Book+of+Small-Batch+Preserving

I see that there are two versions - one from 2001 and one from 2007. I'm guessing if yours is from 2001, there might be a few recipes that were revised in the 2007 edition.

But then I'm also gonna guess that as recently as both books have been published, they would have considered all the more recent recommendations.

That's how I start researching those things. Another way would be to Google it and add in "+ reviews". That should bring up the good stuff and the bad, if any. I'd do it but I'm rushing through right now. runcirclsmiley1.gif

How do you know that a canning book doesn't have recipes that will kill you?

How do you know they've been checked out properly and aren't just "what Grandma used to do"?

I have a book called "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving" that seems okay to me, but that doesn't mean I actually know enough to know whether the recipes in it are alright.

Good question! I see posts all over various prepping/frugal sites about canning all sorts of things like soups and meats that not in the Ball Book...doesn't mean they aren't safe,but a newbie like me worries...

Violet can give you better info, but this is how I start...

I looked it up on Amazon, because they usually show all editions.

http://www.amazon.co...atch+Preserving

I see that there are two versions - one from 2001 and one from 2007. I'm guessing if yours is from 2001, there might be a few recipes that were revised in the 2007 edition.

But then I'm also gonna guess that as recently as both books have been published, they would have considered all the more recent recommendations.

That's how I start researching those things. Another way would be to Google it and add in "+ reviews". That should bring up the good stuff and the bad, if any. I'd do it but I'm rushing through right now. runcirclsmiley1.gif

Mine is from 2007. I've found a few recipes that include cornstarch or olive oil, but not many. They have the Health Protection Branch of Health Canada listed in their acknowledgments. None of the reviews have complained at all about the safety of the recipes, so I guess use my common sense?

Edited by TheCG

Ask Violet. Even with some of the newer books, they're not all following the safety guidelines.

Unless it's Violet-approved, I don't buy the book and I don't consider canning the recipe. Botulism isn't something I ever want to experience, suffer from, or DIE from.

I *think* the Violet-approved books so far are:

the Ball Canning book (I think the 2 newest editions are the safe ones)

Ball Complete Guide to Home Preserving

So Easy To Preserve

The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving (mine is copyrighted 2007 and printed in 2009)

hoping Violet confirms that and can possibly add to this...

Wasn't there a year that all the canning techniques were updated for safeness? Something like 1994 or so? (Maybe I'm imagining this...)

edited 'cause I can't seem to spell today...

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Ask Violet. Even with some of the newer books, they're not all following the safety guidelines.

Unless it's Violet-approved, I don't buy the book and I don't consider canning the recipe. Botulism isn't something I ever want to experience, suffer from, or DIE from.

I *think* the Violet-approved book so far are:

the Ball Canning book (I think the 2 newest editions are the safe ones)

Ball Complete Guide to Home Preserving

So Easy To Preserve

The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving (mine is copyrighted 2007 and printed in 2009)

hoping Violet confirms that and can possibly add to this...

Wasn't there a year that all the canning techniques were updated for safeness? Something like 1994 or so? (Maybe I'm imagining this...)

There is a year, you're not crazy (well, not because of that. I can't confirm whether you're not crazy for other reasons), I just don't know what it was. For canning, I'm not looking at anything prior to 2000.

Woohoo! Mine's on that list! I have the Ball canning book, now I just need to get the other 2. Right? Gotta collect 'em all?

Edited by TheCG

Mine is from 2007. I've found a few recipes that include cornstarch or olive oil, but not many.

Not all the recipes in the small-batch preserving book are for canning; some are for freezing, etc.

Unless it's Violet-approved, I don't buy the book and I don't consider canning the recipe.

That's too bad. You're missing out on a lot of good recipes and ideas from places like Better Homes and Gardens, and from other authors who do publish recipes tested for long-term safety.

Edited by Gladrags

Mine is from 2007. I've found a few recipes that include cornstarch or olive oil, but not many.

Not all the recipes in the small-batch preserving book are for canning; some are for freezing, etc.

I'll check again and make sure which it was.

Unless it's Violet-approved, I don't buy the book and I don't consider canning the recipe.

That's too bad. You're missing out on a lot of good recipes and ideas from places like Better Homes and Gardens, and from other authors who do publish recipes tested for long-term safety.

Right - hence the question, how do we know that the recipes have been tested? The Small-Batch Preserving Book doesn't say anything about it that I can find.