MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Knife Sharpeners

Anyone have any advice on knife sharpeners?

My knives are just so-so but they dull really fast. Especially when sawing through raw chicken on a glass cutting board for a few hours.

I used to use the rim of my great grandmothers crock bowl as a sharpener but it is packed away in the garage attic. I'd hate for something to happen to it. It has sentimental value. It really did the job though. Maybe I do need a better knife. I have a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond that is burning a hole in my pocket. Although I'm open to shopping other places.

I really only need one good sharp knife for canning prep. I can see how dull knives can be dangerous!

Chefs Choice ! I have an electric one, you need the 3 stage one, not the 2 stage. I think they also have a small manual one that is pretty good. http://www.costco.com/Chefs-Choice%c2%ae-Electric-Knife-Sharpener.product.11181284.html

It works really well and gives you a way to keep them sharp. We have had friends bring over all their knives to sharpen them up. I am glad we bought this sharpener.

Same as Violet...Chef's Choice, 3-stage! I've got one and it's great! I also have a sharpening stone but have yet to learn the skill to really get a good "burr" on it that I can then smooth...someday? We also bought one at a gun show but again, don't seem to be able to do it as easily as it was demonstrated...figure? I want to learn though in case I didn't have electricity. LOL

Spyderco Sharpmaker. EAsiest thing out there to use. Doesn't mess up your knife edges like an electric. Works really well--hair-popping sharp! You can also sharpen serrated edges, and scissors, and other edged items...be sure to get the user DVD with it. Well worth the $40 or so it costs.

Advice from my DH who sharpens knives around the world (he packs the sharpening stone in his suitcase). :-)

Learn how to sharpen knives by hand. There should be plenty of videos on Youtube. Higher quality knives keep a sharper edge much longer. They're worth the price. Don't cut on glass or metal. They take the edge off too fast and the more you have to sharpen your knives the faster they wear out.

The sharpening stone can make for extremely sharp knives. Just ask Darlene. :-)

I think I'll try a sharpening stone of some sort first. I was always used to just using the rim of an old crock so I've pretty much got the hand/wrist movement down. I was using glass because I was cutting up a lot of raw chicken breasts and I wanted to throw everything in the dishwasher on sterilize it. I try to be over cautious with raw chicken. I think I need a betterr knife too.

Off to youtube :pc_coffee:

Edited because I hit post in the middle of a sentence :blush:

Edited by Jeepers

Anyone have any advice on knife sharpeners?

My knives are just so-so but they dull really fast. Especially when sawing through raw chicken on a glass cutting board for a few hours.

Good Lord. I'm glad my husband does not hang out here. He'd go :gaah: Sweetie sharpens knives as a hobby. He's a bit of a knife snob, too.

Instead of glass, may I suggest one of these:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/epicurean-cutting-board/

Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them too. They won't kill your knives and they are still dishwasher safe.

For knives, Google Saber. They cost a bit less than comparable brands. They are German steel, but sharpened/finished in China (closely supervised). Sweetie bought a set of them...and for most things I like them better than my collection of varying grades of fancy brands.

Pay attention to country of origin though! With some brands you may think you are buying German make, but instead the knives are made elsewhere. I learned that one the hard way. :( And guess what versions the big box retailers usually stock...

Hazelstone, I got one of the cutting boards you posted. It was $20.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I think it is a smaller size. That's what I wanted though as my kitchen isn't that big and I don't like large cutting boards sitting around anyway. I like the looks and feel of it too. Thanks!

I got a knife sharpener but not one of the real expensive ones It's called Chef something or another. I really only use a big knife when I'm canning meats. This summer I'm going to see if I can find Granny's old crock up in the garage attic.

The 20% off coupon helped a lot too.