MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Focus...

Cat

Are you ready?

If your power goes out tonight, do you have water? Food you can eat, and a way to prepare it?

Is there gas in your car in case you need to leave to pick up somebody you love or get away from your home because it's not safe?

Is your cell phone charged? How long will it last? Can you even find it quickly? :happy0203:

If the weather turns especially nasty this winter, how long could you shelter in place? How long could your pantry last?

What would you do if something major, like an EMP or the New Madrid earthquake happened?

Do you have a plan?

It's Autumn. Time to think, again, of how "secure" your security is. Not to scare, but to PREPARE.

If you're curious about something, *ASK* - we can help find what you want. We have lists, product reviews, usage information, help... all free for just looking.

**Going off to locate the little solar charger DH bought to recharge cell phones - where did we leave that thing???** :scratchhead:

:shrug:

DH and I work very, very well together as a team. When things happen, we each have certain things we handle.
Most of our power outages have occurred while DH is home. We had an unexpected power outage this week while he was at work (and on 9/11 so you all can imagine what my 1st thought was!). So the power outage was a little bit of a wake-up for me on handling everything when he's not here. Not just handling it, but knowing exactly what to do. (e.g. I was in a slight panic over which water valve to shut off so that the well pump would not need re-primed when the power did come back on)

I think that's an area I need to better prepare myself on. If :smiley_shitfan: and DH can't get home for hours or even a few days, what do I need to be doing? (and with expecting, that's really something I don't like to think about!)

You make a good point about being prepared. Too often we depend on others to do certain tasks. We should at least know how the major areas can be covered by each individual that is physically capable of doing so. So even preteens should know where to turn off water, power, or what to do if their parents aren't home or able to do it right then. Having everyone assigned to certain tasks, divides the work which is important, but we all must be able to handle the essential things that have to be done even if the normal person to handle that isn't there. If it is essential, someone has to be able to do it.

We had a power outage this past year and my family was at a total loss. We were without power for a couple of days. Water was handled ( they need refilled now, most are empty.) They did not know where the batteries was, instead of candle holders they used plates for candles. They didn't even know what to take care of food. Without me there to organize it ( I was at work when it happened), they called me to bring food home because "they couldn't cook", they had moved stuff from fridge to freezer, but hadn't covered it. They didn't even get the candles and lanterns that I had already down. They didn't know where they were.

Now when I moved in I set up a place above the washer/dryer for that stuff. I told everyone where that was.They couldn't find flashlight batteries ( in the desk drawer) or even most of the flashlights because someone moved them. They didn't even think to cook on the grill or even make cold sandwiches!!!! I came home to a dark home and everyone was lost. I was going to bed as it was after midnight, so we covered the fridge/freezer but left the rest for in the morning when we had light and I went to bed. The next morning they felt silly when they realized I had things there to take care of a blackout. My supplies are pitiful right now. I can cook on the grill but we would have to go outside for that. I have some food built up but not near enough. I am actually down to only a month on some things like meats and only a couple months on other things. Having double the people in my household than I was used to and the prices going up like they had while my income was cut by a fifth has hurt my preps. I need to manage to get them built back up again. I also am having a problem as the doctor's have me on a low sodium/ low fat diet and most of my preps are canned goods that are really too high in sodium for me. I need to manage to can my own stuff so I can stick to the diet with preps. Never have canned much except for tomatoes and fruits. I need to learn. Have both a water bath and a pressure canner, but have never used the pressure canner. I need to learn. I also need a place to do it. Can't can on my glass top stove. I wanted to buy a new outdoor stove to use for canning but that didn't happen this year.

Right now my car doesn't even have a full tank of gas. I have been reviewing preps lately and have started to plan for the unexpected better the last few weeks. The first step is replenishing and updating BOB's for all of us. We only have one that is for me as it is now. I will work on a little each week till I am back up to where I was or better. I have never been as good as I wanted to be. Now I am also trying to keep the stress down, so worrying about what I don't have won't help. doing a little each day will.

nope, not really. Got lots to do. A lot have change so need to review and get things done. Do have water. And my cell is charged. :happy0203:

Out of the ordinary, you are so right about learnig how to do things without your hubby. I learn that the hard way. The time to learn is while there is still some one around who can teach you.

deb2of9 a dietitian once told us to rinse the food from the can to rid of half the salt.

Rinsing is a method we are using for what I currently have. I will work on less salt in future stores/everyday usage. Rinsing helps a lot. What helped the most is when my daughter saw what was in a teaspoon of salt. I had been telling her for awhile to cut the salt for her uncles sake. She always had excuses. Showed her a chart that showed in a teaspoon of salt there is 2300 mg of Sodium. I am allowed 2000 mg a day. So one teaspoon is more than I am allowed all day. That and me ending up in the hospital has turned her into the Sodium Police. I just have to work on getting my new stores to be low sodium. I will not waste what I already have.

But I don't want to focus. I want to play games on facebook all day. LOL

We have done an inventory this month of what we have and what we still need. I was pleasantly surprised to see that we are a little better off than I thought but no where near where we need to be. Water is a major stumbling block here. We have gotten dependent on city water again and well we really need to store water. I guess we will be investing the 5 gallon jugs and a hand pump for them that way no dispenser will be needed.

Our plan is to shelter in place. Still need to invest in some propane for the camp stove and the little heater. Still working on winter wardrobes for us. Hubby is pretty set but I still need boots and leggins to go under my jeans. I want some flannel shirts too.

We are about to recover from the move from NC to TX. Took a little longer than I had planned but that is ok.

Deb, :hug3: When we learned my DH had high bp, the cupboards were pretty bare after we took stuff to a church food pantry. For canned goods, there's a few brands that have the No Salt added (Libby's and DelMonte). We switched him to dried beans instead of canned ones. It was shocking to me to read the sodium content of those boxed frozen veggies, too. I think that's where most of the sodium lies--in anything already somewhat prepared. Even the spice cabinet got partially emptied. Mrs Dash seasoning has no salt and isn't very expensive. DH really likes the garlic & herb one.

^SNIP^

I feel your pain. I'm hooked on a site that raises service dogs (great danes) and they show them at birth until about 3-4 months old 24/7/365. They are so stinkin' cute. And to make matters worse a new litter is due at the end of the month. :gaah:

I might need an intervention.

^SNIP^

I feel your pain. I'm hooked on a site that raises service dogs (great danes) and they show them at birth until about 3-4 months old 24/7/365. They are so stinkin' cute. And to make matters worse a new litter is due at the end of the month. :gaah:

I might need an intervention.

LOL I would be in serious trouble if I found that site. Seriously though I don't play games maybe I should have said I don't want to focus I want to spend all my time on Pinterest looking at recipes LOL.

I was a little bummed out after doing our inventory I was hoping we had more than we did. I was hoping for 6-9 months but it is more like 3 months. Big dissappointment.

I find it highly amusing that all of a sudden - I mean in the past year - DH has been researching and buying and researching and trying and researching - PREPARATION! :shakinghead:

He's watching a video and randomly asks me, "Hey, did you know... (insert something we've been discussing for years here) ?"

:sigh: "Yes, Dear, and (insert additional details he hasn't yet considered)..."

I've been thinking and talking and doing stuff since 1999, when he first came home from work and mentioned a little thing called "Y2K". :buttercup:

On the plus side, he's bringing himself up-to-date on lots of stuff. He's buying "try-it" stuff. Last week his water filter straw came, and he's disgusted to find that it clearly states "Use only on municipally-treated water."

I thought he had already been on board. Looks like he's still jumping on. :shrug:

I thought he had already been on board. Looks like he's still jumping on. :shrug:

Hey at least he is chasing that train. I didn't think mine would ever get on board either. There are still sometimes I wonder. At least now he doesn't complain when I take his OT and spend it on canned goods or dry beans.

• 3 weeks later...