MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Quiz-speech patterns locate y'all's origins???

Mt_Rider

Interesting one I haven't seen before. Gives question by question feedback to your answers. Accurately deduced where I've spent time collecting my word usage. Northern Mid-West.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?src=recg

If you take it more than once, there are a few differences in which questions are asked. I came out slightly further south in the second go-round. :shrug:

MtRider --- RESTING today.....for celebrations with family tomorrow/Wed. :D

Edited by Mt_Rider

It is close for me, one in Tennessee where I grew up, just wrong city.

What I want to know is where in the world are young folks getting the new way of saying words that change the ending, like think-n for thinking where they emphasize the n rather than saying the ing sound. They do it with ent or int endings also. Have seen it on TV, but am even hearing it in our little city. How do these things catch on so fast?

Dropping the -ing isn't new. It's been here in the Appalachians forever! :) Except we wouldn't say "I'm thinkin". We would say "I'm a-thinkin" like our Scottish ancestors!

We often drop the 'G' too and add the 'A' before a word. I didn't know it was of Scottish origin. "Hoot-Man!" But it sounds more like, 'THINK-un'. I'm hearing the younger generation say, 'think-N'. I also here it with words like 'button' pronounced like "but-N'. Sort of like they can't pronounce the letter T.

I wonder when we started adding the $ sign at the end of the dollar amount. When did $1.00 become 1.00$. And when did 'math' become 'maths' :scratchhead:

Philbe, they are like a big garage that is open at both ends. Merchandise is stored along both sides of the wall. You just drive in and tell whoever is there what you want, they get it, you pay and they put it in your car. You don't get out of your car. To be fair, most of them have bread, milk, eggs, pop, chips etc. not just alcohol.

I finally got it to take my answers. It said I'm from Lexington, KY. which is about 2 hours south from where I grew up.