MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

59 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Wish I could figure out how to put pictures of my make shift pantries on here. Don't know how to transfer them. Though they are from I think 2013 or 14. But would give you an idea of my situation on space. 

If you have a laptop or desktop...slip your camera card into the slot for sd cards.  Something should pop up showing you your pics etc.  If not,  open the sd card from your computer...then copy the pic hold down the ctrl button on your keyboard and click on the pic) and then come here and paste it into a post.  That's how I do it.

On 6/4/2017 at 11:34 PM, Jeepers said:

use a door for spices

I have one like the wood finish one...at the Roost and it WILL be taken down and put at the homestead once things are ready.  I just don't want to have it there right now.  I'll be putting it on the new kitchen door that goes out to the mud room/laundry room.

When I get more time I am going to work on getting some pictures on here.  WE2 your idea did not work for me as these pictures are already on computer.  

Ann I am looking at your suggesting and going to work on that one  a bit later. Getting ready to feed DH as I am going to have to wake him up for dinner and then go work in garage a bit longer. 

• Like 1

Trying again. Pics of pantry.   Finally, it worked.. This does not include all that I have canned over past couple of years. that is all under the beds.  this was pantry from 2013.  All this has changed over time and pantry is much more than this now.  I have buckets of rice,, flour etc. in 5 gal. buckets in mylar bags ext. plus I do mostly canning my own foods now.  Much less of what you see in the store bought stuff.  We have already gone through everything you see here except the long term foods.  Those we still have most of. 100_0305.thumb.JPG.44b6c0817419e56110c84680a73c3e7b.JPG100_0310.thumb.JPG.da3e1374da59c4e1b744f3dd48eccb5a.JPG100_0309.thumb.JPG.5a2290537532de4afc7df20e6a6d9fb7.JPG100_0308.thumb.JPG.3b3d664419822952f038e68f291948b8.JPG100_0307.thumb.JPG.b1fe1cc0fe19e075598d3a769aca1951.JPG100_0306.thumb.JPG.fa57f787a17b36542d9314f589e957cd.JPG100_0311.thumb.JPG.7df32cc056a310e63c2d7f872a2a6d75.JPG100_0312.thumb.JPG.67e0e4370794f7da09d9f301c84f15c4.JPG100_0313.thumb.JPG.cb9f8213f83839bb2d0c099a08654ef5.JPG100_0314.thumb.JPG.945466254de7c67dbb9dad5859b9a40b.JPG from 2013.

Edited by Littlesister
  • Like 3

WE2,  It is already fully stocked and over flowing.  these are from 2013. We have used all this food up from 2013 through 2016.  It has been restocked already plus what we have under the beds and in 2 bookcases.  These pictures were the start of our prepping days.

• Like 3

Oh my...what a beautiful sight! Thank you for sharing! 

Canned up food makes me feel so secure. Can't wait to start mine all over. One good thing about having to start over again is all the food will be new. I'm trying to look on the bright side. :sigh:

• Like 1

Jeepers, I am working slowy  to get the freezer down. Hoping by the middle of week, I can start canning some more things out of the freezer.  I have beef and chicken still in there along with a turkey breast.  Those I want to get canned up and make some beef and chicken broth as well.  There are some more veggies I want to get deydrated as well.  Just seems other things get in the way of getting that freezer fully emptied.  But I will get there. 

• Like 2

We've been eating out of our freezers and pantries for 3 months now, and buying VERY little.  Hubby's been off soda pop for Dec and Jan...and has lost about 2 inches from his waist...even though it was diet...it was still carbonation.  He has been really surprised.  We have bought his tortilla chips.  He loves them!  Been popping a lot of popcorn for evening snacks though! We are truly whittling down our freezers and pantries, getting ready to re-arrange them in the homestead's kitchen and don't want all that food in them.  Probably won't do any canning until we get moved, other than doing some chili beans.  We love them and eat a lot of them.

• Like 2

We2 that sounds like what I've been doing this past year. I've been eating out of my pantry a lot to get it cleared out so I don't have to move it all. I've missed canning though. But it will be nice to get a fresh start with all new food up to date. Good by 2011 hello 2020.  

I'm going to replace some of my dehydrated food supply too. I'm not happy with some of the food I bought. The celery and leeks especially. The leeks have too much green and not enough white and the celery has too many dark spots like the air discolored them. The spinach is like powder. Maybe it's all normal but since I have a good dehydrator, I might as well do it like I want it. I want to do my own kale leaves for soups too. And grind some up to sneak in some food like Kappy does. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, I bought some dehydrated celery from Harmony House and it was really good.  Also bought freeze dried blueberries from there. both have really been good. You could try them to see how you like them. You can get sample packs to try out.  That is how I did for what I have bought. I do have 2 blueberry plants but they don't produce enough for long term. They are in pots and I want to transfer them into the ground as soon as I figure out where to put them. I think they would produce much better in the ground than in big pots. Going to finish up the chicken and dumplans for dinner tonight and then going to pull some things out of freezer for dinners for rest of week. 

Litlesister, I have bought from Harmony House quite often and never had an issue with their food. The other food I mentioned wasn't from them. I can't remember where it was from right now. I'll look to see if I still have another can of it. It was a big #10 can with a green-ish label. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for bumping this up here....it is always inspiring to see pics.  One of the main reasons I voted for our particular mobile home floor plan was a pantry closet bit enough to walk into.  Had to add more shelves, of course, and need to hang some floor to ceiling spice racks on the inside door for itsy bitsy stuff, but it holds quite a bit.  The hollow core door means I can easily change the knob to a key-locking one if need be....EVERYPLACE I ever lived/rented we had at least a linen closet in which we changed one knob to a key-locking one (just matched up the brand and style of what was there and nobody noticed).  Just in case the landlord/maintenance/visiting acquaintances got nosy.  That is where we put our electronics & firearms whenever we left the apartment "just in case".  Would not deter a knowledgeable thief of course, but worked well for casual nosy/sticky fingered visitors.  (That and immediately change the front door locks upon moving in!)  Only one person ever noticed (another cop) and he copied the concept immediately, LOL.  

There be pantries....and there be pantries!

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1

We changed my upstairs room into a kids 'office' so all my stuff had to come back downstairs.  I added Ikea Ivar shelving to the sunroom and kitchen.  We put in a large metal locker in the one in the kitchen to hold brooms and such.  It is lockable with a padlock if I want to put anything important in there.  We used deeper shelving along the sunroom wall.  The kitchen has a very funny wall by the fireplace and my deep freezer sticks out also, So we put a length of deep shelving along the freezer size and then a length of shallow shelving right next to it along the weird wall.  It worked out perfectly to look like one unit that was shaped for the area.   We left shelves off the deep side bottom 3ft in the kitchen and put the cat water and such under it on the floor.  

It was inexpensive and DH said that he could not build it as cheaply.  It is sturdy enough for what I need, and very adjustable and portable.  I would definitely allocate money for the project again.   We got ours at the local Ikea store and I think we paid about 20% less than what the online prices are.  

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/ivar-system-11703/?page=4 

eupheasyne, I like those shelving units from ikea. We have one of those here.  I am thinking maybe of turning the small bedroom into a total pantry in about a year. As right now it is the only guest room I have and my grandson who is now 18 still comes to spend the night. So still need that extra bed. Just got to figure out what's what as far as priorities go. But seeing those shelving units gave me some ideas. 

We had a small upstairs room I was using as my 'general store' but the kids took it over for electronics, desks, and study areas so I lost it.  If you only need a sometimes bedroom, you could put shelving with doors (or hang fabric around it) to make it dual purpose.   In my old house, I had an armoire I used as extra pantry space in an off room.  

I hate dealing with the size and number of people, but the Ikea in Norfolk runs good sales.