MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Questions

Hello ladies!! I've been canning! 14 quarts of chicken stock, 28 quarts of black beans, pinto beans and red beans (28 quarts total) and 7 pints of spaghetti sauce. I'm tired!

The thing is....I completely forgot to add the lemon juice to the spaghetti sauce. Is it okay or will it kill us???

Also....I have a tomato sauce that I use for several of my meals. I have a bunch of it frozen right now, but would love to can it and free up the freezer space. I usually eyeball it: tomatoes (greater percentage), onion, garlic and salt. I blend it. Could I can this sauce like 8 would spaghetti sauce? 

I appreciate your help, ladies! :bighug2:

Oh my what lovely ladies! You are so fortunate to have such a willing helper. And the memories you are making. Some one is gonna be eating good this winter! 

About the tomatoes. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY

Did you pressure can them or water bath them? If you water bathed them then I'd say no! Especially with the added veggies. If you pressure canned them then they SHOULD be okay. I'd mark them and eat them first. You can can your spaghetti sauce with some added veggies but it must be canned in a pressure canner because of the onions.   

I always pressure can my tomato products just to be on the safe side. Hope I read your questions correctly. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Oh my what lovely ladies! You are so fortunate to have such a willing helper. And the memories you are making. Some one is gonna be eating good this winter! 

About the tomatoes. THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY

Did you pressure can them or water bath them? If you water bathed them then I'd say no! Especially with the added veggies. If you pressure canned them then they SHOULD be okay. I'd mark them and eat them first. You can can your spaghetti sauce with some added veggies but it must be canned in a pressure canner because of the onions.   

I always pressure can my tomato products just to be on the safe side. Hope I read your questions correctly. 

Thanks, Jeepers! That's my Mom and oldest daughter. Both wanting to help for what is to come. I'm very blessed and thankful!!

So....I water-bath canned them (followed a recipe). Are they safe to eat at all? That's a lot of work and effort to give to the pigs! They've sat on the counter overnight. I do have a pressure canner (double decker!), so next time I think I'll just do that. Normal time the recipe calls for? My husband suggested I did... I said no, this will be fine.....:groooansmileyf:

I can't say.  I PC all tomato products.  Maybe @WE2's?  If you just did them yesterday, even if you decide they aren't safe, could you re-package and freeze?  I think we are supposed to let all jars set for 24 hours before moving them, so you would have time.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

I can't say.  I PC all tomato products.  Maybe @WE2's?  If you just did them yesterday, even if you decide they aren't safe, could you re-package and freeze?  I think we are supposed to let all jars set for 24 hours before moving them, so you would have time.

This gives me hope! Can I repackage them and pressure can them? 

• Like 1

If you added anything else to the tomato products like onions or bell peppers etc. it really needs to be pressure canned to be safe. You could freeze it or re-can it in a pressure canner with added acid. Since they have already been sitting out, I wouldn't waste time. They should be fine to re-can or freeze since technically they are canned. 

For newbies who might be lurking, anytime you add any veggies (onions, peppers etc.) to tomatoes, they must be pressure canned. And you must add acid (lemon juice, vinegar, ascorbic acid) to the plain tomatoes to raise the acid if you water bath them.

I know our grandmothers didn't do that. They didn't have too. Modern tomatoes have been genetically altered to reduce the acid content for fresh eating. We oldbies can remember way back in the day when we would get a sore mouth in the summer if we ate too many fresh tomatoes. Real tomatoes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, Jeepers said:

If you added anything else to the tomato products like onions or bell peppers etc. it really needs to be pressure canned to be safe. You could freeze it or re-can it in a pressure canner with added acid. Since they have already been sitting out, I wouldn't waste time. They should be fine to re-can or freeze since technically they are canned. 

For newbies who might be lurking, anytime you add any veggies (onions, peppers etc.) to tomatoes, they must be pressure canned. And you must add acid (lemon juice, vinegar, ascorbic acid) to the plain tomatoes to raise the acid if you water bath them.

I know our grandmothers didn't do that. They didn't have too. Modern tomatoes have been genetically altered to reduce the acid content for fresh eating. We oldbies can remember way back in the day when we would get a sore mouth in the summer if we ate too many fresh tomatoes. Real tomatoes.

How long would I need to PC the tomatoes with onions, etc? I have a bunch of blended sauce (tomatoes, onion, garlic and salt) that I froze, but would love to can and free up the space, because ice cream :happy0203::wub:. I'm happy to pressure can it, I'm just not sure for how long....

Thanks for all the tips, ladies! I ended up freezing and eating (and giving) the spaghetti sauce. Tomorrow I'll try again, and pressure can it this time. Again, for how long? 

2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Joyfilled, your jars are beautiful!  :thumbs:

I love looking at home canned food. 

Here is a reliable web source for canning:

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can3_tomato.html

Ball Blue Book PDF:

https://ia802906.us.archive.org/5/items/ball-blue-book-guide-to-preserving-2010/ball-blue-book-guide-to-preserving-2010.pdf

Thanks!! :)

Jeepers.  Thanks for link to Ball Book PDF!!!   I'll download that sometime [like last nite] when I'm up past 2am.  Free Internet usage 2-7am.  I have the paper book....from several years ago now.  Not from my mom's time...not that far back.  :lol: 

MtRider  :thumbs:  :canning:  

• Like 2