MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to Make Yeast Water and Yeast Water Bread

hooch is liquor.  You ferment things to make liquor.  She is fermenting yeast.

My grandfather had 10 brothers and 2 sisters.  Back during prohibition, they made moonshine in a car radiator in the woods and sold it.  Good to know things.....car radiators are excellent ways to make homemade alcohol in quantity.  

• Like 3

Car radiators were a terrible way to do it because of the lead in the welds, which leached into the alcohol just like the lead in the Romans' wine barrels etc.

No clue about the lead, but I know for a fact that is how they did it for about 50 years until my great-great grandfather passed.  He was in his 90s at the time.   Apparently papaw's family liked the hooch and the income.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

I had thought of the lead but also of the antifreeze that might have been in a used one.  That is definitely poisonous. 

4 hours ago, Mother said:

I had thought of the lead but also of the antifreeze that might have been in a used one.  That is definitely poisonous. 

I don't think cars were using anit-freeze in the cooling systems during the depression and/or prohibition. :puzzledsmile:

I believe the commercial use of antifreeze of various types came about in the 1920's but I was thinking more about the possible use of a used radiator today.  There are people who might consider trying it now.  

So...I have relatives.  Redneck relatives who still live where my grandfather grew up.   Not all radiators are 'used' and I have no knowledge about lead one way or another.  I do know that my relatives are in good health after many decades of ....doing things they probably should not.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

It's a wonder I survived childhood. No seat belts, no car seats, no bike helmets, rode in the back of a pickup truck, played outside after dark, baked in the sun, drank from a water hose, played with lawn darts, chewed on erasers, used liberal amounts of 'OFF' for mosquito protection, played in the local crick digging for clay containing who knows what, my coat had string ties to keep the hood on, used a thermometer with real mercury in it, used mercurochrome and merthiolate on open wounds and danced and yelled like mad from the sting and on and on. Yet here I am nearly 70 years later. Guess I'm a miracle child. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2