MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Family support in what we do....

Or not. 

Had a long chat with my sister today she lives in a different country. I mentioned that we've been thinking about getting a milking cow (for years now!), and she was very discouraging. She mentioned all the cons of having one: milking every day, no matter the weather or date, cleaning up poop, etc.... 

I feel so discouraged. :(

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

Or not. 

Had a long chat with my sister today.................

She mentioned all the cons of having one: milking every day, no matter the weather or date, cleaning up poop, etc.... 

I feel so discouraged. :(

Isn't it amazing how our own families are usually the biggest roadblocks in our way of making changes or doing something different/out of the norm?

These article may help you to overcome the "damage" your sister did to your desire to own a milk cow. They provide enough information, I think, for re-energizing your desire to have a cow.

Owning a Family Milk Cow: Your Questions Answered  https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/03/family-milk-cow.html

Is Having A Family Milk Cow Affordable? (Budget Included)  https://familyfarmlivestock.com/is-having-a-family-milk-cow-affordable-budget-included/

Family Milk Cow 101  https://homesteadersofamerica.com/family-milk-cow-101/

Down A Cow Trail: Your Guide to Buying a Family Milk Cow  https://downacowtrail.com/2020/02/15/your-guide-to-buying-a-family-milk-cow/

Ultimate Guide to Keeping a Family Milk Cow  https://theeverydayfarmhouse.com/ultimate-guide-to-keeping-a-family-milk-cow/

Keeping a Milking Cow: How to Keep a Cow For Milk  https://www.roysfarm.com/keeping-a-milking-cow/

And then there's Patera! ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

Isn't it amazing how our own families are usually the biggest roadblocks in our way of making changes or doing something different/out of the norm?

These article may help you to overcome the "damage" your sister did to your desire to own a milk cow. They provide enough information, I think, for re-energizing your desire to have a cow.

Owning a Family Milk Cow: Your Questions Answered  https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2014/03/family-milk-cow.html

Is Having A Family Milk Cow Affordable? (Budget Included)  https://familyfarmlivestock.com/is-having-a-family-milk-cow-affordable-budget-included/

Family Milk Cow 101  https://homesteadersofamerica.com/family-milk-cow-101/

Down A Cow Trail: Your Guide to Buying a Family Milk Cow  https://downacowtrail.com/2020/02/15/your-guide-to-buying-a-family-milk-cow/

Ultimate Guide to Keeping a Family Milk Cow  https://theeverydayfarmhouse.com/ultimate-guide-to-keeping-a-family-milk-cow/

Keeping a Milking Cow: How to Keep a Cow For Milk  https://www.roysfarm.com/keeping-a-milking-cow/

And then there's Patera! ;)

Thank you so much, MidnightMom!! I'll watch it after the kids go to bed. I appreciate your support! :)  :bighug2:

• Like 3

Joyfilled.  Is it possible that your sister is concerned ‘her’ agenda for you in ‘her’ life might be effected by your dedication to homesteading?  Or that her understanding of that lifestyle is so deficient it makes her more fearful.  My sister was often derogatory of my homesteading and prepping lifestyle and called me her little country sister to her friends.  She worked in an academic setting and felt I was not educated enough to mingle with her sophisticated friends.  She was ashamed of me but had to change her mind when not only did she find her friends extremely interested in the lifestyle.  She also found me well read, informed, and perfectly capable of fitting into ‘her’ lifestyle when she couldn’t fit into mine.   People often fear that which is different from their own preconceived ideas of what life should be.

We have ‘homesteaded’ for the better part of our married life (59 years). We had a milk cow (and milk goats as well) for years. The cow originally belonged to my parents.  Milk animals do occasionally cause issues but we loved the fresh products we produced from their milk.  By the way, so did my sister eventually.  Even served it at special gatherings of her friends. 😄 She learned to be proud of how I lived as I was proud of her lifestyle. Plus, both her kids, the same age as ours, loved staying with us.  

Try to understand her or others’ reasons for their opposition but Please don’t let others decide what is right or wrong for you.  Your DH and kids should be the only deciding factor.  Oh and one more thing,  if a milk cow ends up not being a good fit for your family there will be someone who she will fit.  

You are doing good, Joyfilled .  Be proud of what you are accomplishing. 
:hug3:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Joyfield,  There are many people out there that doesn't understand what homesteading is really all about. People have different ideas about it.  What might be good for one doesn't mean it is for another.  I think it is great you are homesteading and getting a milk cow is great.  Maybe your sister will come around one day when she sees how well you are doing. 

I agree with Mother, Be proud of what you are doing and don't worry about what anyone else says, be it a family member or others.  You are doing the right thing and will be much better off for it. Yes it is work, but it is also a very satisfying type of work, seeing what you have accomplished.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Mother said:

Joyfilled.  Is it possible that your sister is concerned ‘her’ agenda for you in ‘her’ life might be effected by your dedication to homesteading?  Or that her understanding of that lifestyle is so deficient it makes her more fearful.  My sister was often derogatory of my homesteading and prepping lifestyle and called me her little country sister to her friends.  She worked in an academic setting and felt I was not educated enough to mingle with her sophisticated friends.  She was ashamed of me but had to change her mind when not only did she find her friends extremely interested in the lifestyle.  She also found me well read, informed, and perfectly capable of fitting into ‘her’ lifestyle when she couldn’t fit into mine.   People often fear that which is different from their own preconceived ideas of what life should be.

We have ‘homesteaded’ for the better part of our married life (59 years). We had a milk cow (and milk goats as well) for years. The cow originally belonged to my parents.  Milk animals do occasionally cause issues but we loved the fresh products we produced from their milk.  By the way, so did my sister eventually.  Even served it at special gatherings of her friends. 😄 She learned to be proud of how I lived as I was proud of her lifestyle. Plus, both her kids, the same age as ours, loved staying with us.  

Try to understand her or others’ reasons for their opposition but Please don’t let others decide what is right or wrong for you.  Your DH and kids should be the only deciding factor.  Oh and one more thing,  if a milk cow ends up not being a good fit for your family there will be someone who she will fit.  

You are doing good, Joyfilled .  Be proud of what you are accomplishing. 
:hug3:

Thank you so much, Mother!! This was so very encouraging. I do believe you're right. My sister would like me to be free to travel, like she is. We get along great (grant it, we live in different countries, haha!), and I think would have a lot of fun together. I have young kids, though, and we are doing our best to homestead (hubby works from home). She (and my Dad) find that it's easier (and often cheaper) to buy things at the store. Me showing my Dad pictures of empty shelves doesn't convince him....he says it'll be there tomorrow. I don't like arguing, so drop the subject. The thing is, he is VERY helpful! He comes over and helps us with a ton of stuff, from mowing to helping with the animals if we happen to be gone (not very often at all). For some reason, both he and my sister are hung up on the cow. *sigh* Honestly, if my Dad said yeah, you should go for it, we'd probably have one already. But I'm trying to set that aside and pray and think only of what's best for our family (and others!). We got good at making butter (and it's buttermilk), yogurt, fresh cheese. Loved it!! I am really wanting to learn to make more with it. I understand that it's a lot of work, I get that. I'm not afraid of work, I believe it's good for us! So....yes. Thank you!!

BTW, your signature is has motivated me over the years (even though I was gone for a long time)....thank you for that! Now I have a wood cookstove in our driveway, waiting to come in and get set up! I feel like it's a long term dream come true of mine. I'm SO excited!! :)

• Like 4
38 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Joyfield,  There are many people out there that doesn't understand what homesteading is really all about. People have different ideas about it.  What might be good for one doesn't mean it is for another.  I think it is great you are homesteading and getting a milk cow is great.  Maybe your sister will come around one day when she sees how well you are doing. 

I agree with Mother, Be proud of what you are doing and don't worry about what anyone else says, be it a family member or others.  You are doing the right thing and will be much better off for it. Yes it is work, but it is also a very satisfying type of work, seeing what you have accomplished.  

Thank you, Little Sister!! I really appreciate that. I didn't think I needed to hear that, but I do! It's a lot of hard work, but oh so rewarding. I love it!! I'm so thankful that this is what I get to do during this period of my life, and I'm hoping it lasts for the remainder of it! :)

Thank you for your kind words.  It was Buttercup who found my signature picture.  I have two wood cookstoves, neither look like that but I love them both.  Neither are hooked to chimneys now but could easily be again.  One has a wonderful hand fabricated built in spigot in the reservoir that gives me ‘running’ hot water at a touch.  This stove originally belonged to friends of my parents and was the first wood stove I ‘cooked’ on at the ripe old age of five.:happy0203:  

I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of your set up cook stove. And to enjoying your continuing relationship with it. Each stove, and I’ve cooked on dozens of them, has its own personality and its idiosyncrasies to learn. 😀 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mother said:

Thank you for your kind words.  It was Buttercup who found my signature picture.  I have two wood cookstoves, neither look like that but I love them both.  Neither are hooked to chimneys now but could easily be again.  One has a wonderful hand fabricated built in spigot in the reservoir that gives me ‘running’ hot water at a touch.  This stove originally belonged to friends of my parents and was the first wood stove I ‘cooked’ on at the ripe old age of five.:happy0203:  

I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of your set up cook stove. And to enjoying your continuing relationship with it. Each stove, and I’ve cooked on dozens of them, has its own personality and its idiosyncrasies to learn. 😀 

Good eye, Buttercup! I still can't figure out how to do those siggy's....never could, even years ago! :shrug:

I'll have to put up pictures when we get it up and going. We are targeting having it up and completely useful by sometime in October. Somehow that seems like it'll be a weird month. Our 8 year old daughter already asked if she could be the first one to cook on it. :cook:

• Like 5

Hubby's been gone for work this week. Aside from really missing him (almost 11 years married and still in love!), I realized that his chores aren't easy....I'm tired!! A milking cow would be hard in addition to everything else....

....but we still want one....:D still,

we pray and think.... 🙏🏻

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Joyfilled said:

Hubby's been gone for work this week. Aside from really missing him (almost 11 years married and still in love!), I realized that his chores aren't easy....I'm tired!! A milking cow would be hard in addition to everything else....

If you are on YT, you might consider watching some vids by Patera (channel name - Appalachia's Homestead). She is also a "single mom" working a homestead; her husband has a day job and has developed some health problems that make it hard for him to do too much physical labor around the property. She has a milk cow. She also has goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and assorted other critters. You might find her to be quite inspirational, and may even decide that YOU can do it too.  If you're not on YT, she also has a FB page and an Instigram page, so you should be able to find her online somewhere, somehow. :D

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

If you are on YT, you might consider watching some vids by Patera (channel name - Appalachia's Homestead). She is also a "single mom" working a homestead; her husband has a day job and has developed some health problems that make it hard for him to do too much physical labor around the property. She has a milk cow. She also has goats, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and assorted other critters. You might find her to be quite inspirational, and may even decide that YOU can do it too.  If you're not on YT, she also has a FB page and an Instigram page, so you should be able to find her online somewhere, somehow. :D

Thank you, Midnightmom!! I'll for sure check it out! I need all the encouragement I can get!! :bighug2:

• Like 1

@Midnightmom  Well, that was interesting...I started watching with the kids, and saw piglets... "awwww, they're tiny!" "wow, they look like rats!" "they're SO cute" "piggys!!! (that was the 2 year old)".

Yeah, well.....those were rabbits, not piglets. :Blushing::24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Joyfield, I know how it can be not having DH around to help with all that work. But you will find out that you can do more than you think.  I will agree it is not easy, but well worth it. Running a homestead or a farm is hard work but very much worth it. You can do it. Just pace yourself till you get used to it and get into a routine. It will make it much easier.

• Like 1

Joyfilled.....there is an electric milker for one cow that is the size of a small pressure canner.  Might that be an option?   I'd HIGHLY recommend learning how to hand milk tooooo!  JIC ...y'know.  And with a milker, you'd have to carefulllllly wash/sanitize the thing after every milking.  Sanitation is key with milking....be it cows or goats .....yaks?  :lol:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 2
On 8/19/2021 at 8:13 PM, Littlesister said:

Joyfield, I know how it can be not having DH around to help with all that work. But you will find out that you can do more than you think.  I will agree it is not easy, but well worth it. Running a homestead or a farm is hard work but very much worth it. You can do it. Just pace yourself till you get used to it and get into a routine. It will make it much easier.

Thank you, Little Sister!! I appreciate the encouragement. I love everything fresh raw milk has to offer, including everything we can make with it. We got pretty good at making yogurt, butter (and buttermilk), and fresh cheese. I'd love to try my hand at hard cheeses, too. So....lots of good reasons to get one! :)

Thank you again! :bighug2:

On 8/19/2021 at 10:09 PM, Mt_Rider said:

Joyfilled.....there is an electric milker for one cow that is the size of a small pressure canner.  Might that be an option?   I'd HIGHLY recommend learning how to hand milk tooooo!  JIC ...y'know.  And with a milker, you'd have to carefulllllly wash/sanitize the thing after every milking.  Sanitation is key with milking....be it cows or goats .....yaks?  :lol:  

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

Yes!! The plan was to also get an electric milker, but yes, know how to do it by hand, too. In my naive self, I'd like to think we can do it by hand all the time, but I don't think it'd be realistic.

What about camels?? :D:bounce:

• Haha 2

So....the plot thickens. My hubby is going to ask my FIL (his dad) for a milking cow for Christmas. Now mind you, that's a VERY generous gift, so we're not being completely serious....but maybe help with one, or even getting ready for one (milking station, milk machine, etc). He's going to say that it's to annoy my Dad....:blink::24:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • 4 weeks later...

LOL!  Have you decided what kind of cow to get?  Some are far too high producing for a homestead (just my opinion, maybe you can make lots of cheese).  But the Jersey cow was bred to be a homestead breed, smaller, and tolerates wearing a halter and being tethered out to eat if you do not have much pasturage.  They give around 3 gallons milk a day.  Another "mini" breed is the Irish Dexter with a milk yield of 1 1/2 to 2 gallons.  The Dexters are also reported to be a more hardy breed.  Holsteins (the black and white ones) give 10-12 gallons a day!  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, kappydell said:

LOL!  Have you decided what kind of cow to get?  Some are far too high producing for a homestead (just my opinion, maybe you can make lots of cheese).  But the Jersey cow was bred to be a homestead breed, smaller, and tolerates wearing a halter and being tethered out to eat if you do not have much pasturage.  They give around 3 gallons milk a day.  Another "mini" breed is the Irish Dexter with a milk yield of 1 1/2 to 2 gallons.  The Dexters are also reported to be a more hardy breed.  Holsteins (the black and white ones) give 10-12 gallons a day!  

We're thinking Jersey.....I'm not sure I would know what to do with a holstein....ach! We considered Dexters, but they are pretty small. Hubby is 6'4" so we are wanting to make it easier for him. We aren't ready for the cow just yet....we have the space for it, but need fencing, etc.... Hopefully soon!! :)

• Like 2

Pray, and follow the Lord's leading...whatever His plan is for your lives. Whether it is to get a cow for milk, or a goat, or both, or none.

As others have already reiterated, it is important that you and hubby follow God's plans for your lives, in spite of what other family members opinions may be. As you've mentioned, YOU will be the one who cares for the animal, and if that is something you are willing to do, then by all means, do it.

I have a long and colorful history of various family members thinking I'm crazy for doing one thing or another. From moving from the suburbs to the country, to getting my first goats, to the livestock I accumulated over time, to having a farm, on and on I could go. But I was not dissuaded and plunged forward. I made many poor decisions, I went through rough times for various reasons, but I also learned a lot, grew a lot, and have finally achieved some semblance of success with the various animals I now have. I've primarily kept to Jerseys for milk and Angus for beef. The Jerseys have the highest butterfat % in their milk which is why I chose them. You'll have to have a Jersey (or any cow for that matter) bred to get milk but I would strongly caution you to never, ever, ever get a Jersey bull. They are one of the most dangerous breeds of bulls you can ever get. If you can find someone to take your cow to in order to get bred, that would be best.

There are awesome milkers that make milking short work, but there is also a beauty to milking by hand alone. I would get into a 'zone', where a peacefulness would fill my heart where it would be just me and the cow, surrounded by silence except fo the swoosh sounds of milk as they traveled down the teats and the ring the milk would make as it began to fill the pot. I would often find myself feeling that 'all is right with the world in this moment', and for me, it was a beautiful experience to have.

While there are a zillion YouTube videos and info on the net, there is also a wealth of experience and knowledge from people here at MrsS who have already walked this road you are contemplating starting on. My counsel would be to 'go for it!' and if y'all change your mind down the road and decide this isn't right for you, you can always sell the cow and go in a different direction.

Regardless, I'm excited for you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Darlene said:

Pray, and follow the Lord's leading...whatever His plan is for your lives. Whether it is to get a cow for milk, or a goat, or both, or none.

As others have already reiterated, it is important that you and hubby follow God's plans for your lives, in spite of what other family members opinions may be. As you've mentioned, YOU will be the one who cares for the animal, and if that is something you are willing to do, then by all means, do it.

I have a long and colorful history of various family members thinking I'm crazy for doing one thing or another. From moving from the suburbs to the country, to getting my first goats, to the livestock I accumulated over time, to having a farm, on and on I could go. But I was not dissuaded and plunged forward. I made many poor decisions, I went through rough times for various reasons, but I also learned a lot, grew a lot, and have finally achieved some semblance of success with the various animals I now have. I've primarily kept to Jerseys for milk and Angus for beef. The Jerseys have the highest butterfat % in their milk which is why I chose them. You'll have to have a Jersey (or any cow for that matter) bred to get milk but I would strongly caution you to never, ever, ever get a Jersey bull. They are one of the most dangerous breeds of bulls you can ever get. If you can find someone to take your cow to in order to get bred, that would be best.

There are awesome milkers that make milking short work, but there is also a beauty to milking by hand alone. I would get into a 'zone', where a peacefulness would fill my heart where it would be just me and the cow, surrounded by silence except fo the swoosh sounds of milk as they traveled down the teats and the ring the milk would make as it began to fill the pot. I would often find myself feeling that 'all is right with the world in this moment', and for me, it was a beautiful experience to have.

While there are a zillion YouTube videos and info on the net, there is also a wealth of experience and knowledge from people here at MrsS who have already walked this road you are contemplating starting on. My counsel would be to 'go for it!' and if y'all change your mind down the road and decide this isn't right for you, you can always sell the cow and go in a different direction.

Regardless, I'm excited for you!

Thank you, Darlene!! We are at a point that it's a yes.....as soon as we are able to get the space ready for one. I dream of all I can do with the milk. Everything I can learn. And how we can (hopefully) bless others with what I can make (yogurt, cheese, etc). I just hope we can do it in time. In time for what? I dunno....I just think that our time is running short. It's good to hear about your experience, too!! Nice to know others have gone before me and "paved" the way. I hope to be able to update soon. Right now we're getting plants into the greenhouse and are expecting (hopefully) some piglets here soon, too. But....like I said, we feel like we're running out of time, so here's hoping!! :)

• Like 2