MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Let's think like Alton Brown........................

If you are familiar with him, he does not own any cooking/kitchen equipment that is solely made for one use only. He improvises using equipment he already has to be multifunctional, and maybe even nontraditonal. Do you have any kitchen equipment that "fits the bill?"

Share your hints, tips and tricks here. :bouquet:

• Like 1

Saw this idea on FB earlier today. Do you think it would really work???

Of course it would have to be a STIFF batter, but don't some muffin and biscuit recipes fit these parameters?

I know a lot of recipes using either almond or coconut flour do!!!

Or would you have to use the "aluminum" cupcake papers? (I know it's an oxymoron.  ^_^  )  

muffins.JPG.55036be1eb255e6ea449b699a37b8589.JPG

• Like 3

As you said, as long as the batter is thick it should work just fine. Usually when I pour batter in cupcake papers they splay out. Maybe stack 2 canning jar rims on top of each other? Actual muffin pans will last many many years. Cupcake papers are a one time use. So if saving money is the purpose then I'd think not. I'd like to try those silicone muffin pans. Anyone tried those? 

I remember back in the Stone Age days (here we go) we didn't even have cupcake papers. We just used the pan nekkid. Not us, the pan sans the papers. We did oil them for easier removal though. Lard. Come to think of it we didn't even have cupcakes. We only had muffins. 

• Like 4

The kids and I tried the mason jar lid thing.  It does not work well.  The cups just slowly open and you end up with a mess.   We tried the lids to make crumpets also.  Don't do this.   It does not work.  

The silicone muffin pans stick like crazy.  I have an old ceramic muffin tin.   It takes twice as long to cook, but it rarely sticks and works well. 

All the silicone baking stuff is trash.  I have the silicone Bundt pan  ---terrible.   The silicone liners that are washable --completely sticks.  I use them to separate out grapes and such in packed lunches that need to be microwaved.  DH can just lift out the silicone liner.  

If you make a rectangular cake and just frost it in the pan with no lid, you can just place a cookie sheet over the top to cover it.  Then you can stack stuff on it without issue.  This works for large casseroles also.  Save your foil and plastic wrap.  

*I forgot to add that I do use a silicone baking mat for the cookie sheet.  I LOVE that.  I use it for everything.  I also have a lekue bread pan that is silicone that I love.   Other than that silicone mostly is a no as far as anything that goes into the oven.  

The pic below of kids lunchs was the only one I could find of the silicone liners in use:  seriously, don't try to bake with them.  I regret it every single time.  

10683409_694500013966272_6328662425133927787_o_694500013966272.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Awesome lunch! Thanks for the advice on the silicone bakeware. I've been tempted to buy some. I won't now!

I did buy some silicone ice cube trays. Wal-Mart had them on sale at the time. The six sections are pretty big and I plan to use them to freeze eggs. Freeze the eggs and then dump them into a bag to store in the freezer. I heard regular ice cube trays are too small to hold an egg. I plan on getting large or extra large eggs while I can. Hope they don't stick.

Wait! I just saw this. My eggs stuck something awful in those silicone trays! I lost 2 dozen eggs trying to get them out. I posted a picture someplace. It was a huge mess. Even setting them in warm water didn't loosed them out. But the next time I tried it I sprayed the insides with a vegetable spray (Pam?) and they worked fine. If you do it, spray or rub oil/butter in the trays first. 

Edited by Jeepers
Updated Info
  • Like 3

Oh and the silicone bundt pan is good for making ice rings.   You fill with water, press flowers, or fruit or whatever where you want it and freeze.  It pops out as frozen sculpture for your punch, seafood, or other cold needs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 year later...

I don't have any of the silicone bakeware. Heard to many times they don't work. 

Midnightmom that is a great idea. I like it.  I saw on U-Tube, and I hope I can find it again, how a guy used the Ziplock bags for the seal a meal instead of the high price bags. He cut them and then put the zipper part inside the bag near top and then put it through the seal a meal after putting the food in. It took out all of the air and then he just zipped it up. Seemed to have worked. But I really need to find it again as I want to try it. 

8 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I saw on U-Tube, and I hope I can find it again, how a guy used the Ziplock bags for the seal a meal instead of the high price bags. He cut them and then put the zipper part inside the bag near top and then put it through the seal a meal after putting the food in. It took out all of the air and then he just zipped it up. Seemed to have worked. But I really need to find it again as I want to try it. 

I've seen that vid too, but it seemed to me that it would only work with certain models of the vacuum sealer. :shrug:

ETA: It may be on this playlist. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+your+own+foodsaver+bags

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1

I saw the 4th one down.  I have two vacuum sealers. So, unless I give it a try, I don't know if it would work with mine or not. Might try sealing one item that way just to see if it will work. At the price of the bags for the vacuum sealers it might be worth it to see if it really is worth doing it with Zip lock bags or not. Though zip lock bags are not cheap anymore either. 

• Like 2

I think If I was freezing something like meat, I'd want the really heavy Food Saver bags to help prevent freezer burn. I know they make Ziploc freezer bags but they aren't as thick as the Food Saver type bags. Meat is too expensive to chance freezer burn at my house.  :shrug:

I do like the bag holder opener canning jar lifter idea though.  

• Like 2

Jeepers, if I try it, it would not be with meat, but with maybe a veggie or fruit. But then I would double bag it into a larger zip lock freezer bag and can only take out what I need. But not sure if that is worth it or not. I have the vacuum sealer bags anyway. But just wondering if the zip lock idea would really work. 

• Like 2