MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hurricane Ian

Jeepers

Prayers for all of our family and friends in the path of hurricane Ian! Although it's been downgraded a notch, I've been watching some live webcams around Tampa and it looks like it could be a big one :pray:

Water, gas, evacuate. I'm sure all of our members here know the drill. If you drive an electric car...please leave now incase the power grid goes down and you get stuck in a traffic jam.  

Ambergris, I hope you and yours are safe! :hug3:

• Like 2

Even though it has been down graded it is still a huge and dangerous storm.  300,000 evacuated.   I am adding my prayers.  :pray:

This is a very dangerous hurricane. Prayers for all in the path of this storm. Parts of Florida is below sea level and that makes it even more dangerous for those in low laying areas for flooding. This storm could go back out to sea on the Atlantic side and if this happens, it could gain strength again. If that happens it could come back up on land toward S.C. and up the coast to other states. I hope that everyone is paying attention and getting out of harm's way. I know some people will refuse to leave their homes and that is a big danger for not just the ones that refuse to evacuate but also for those that have to come in to rescue them. So, praying everyone will take heed and leave the area involved.

• Like 2

GD and her DH live just outside of Charlston S.C. Praying they will be ok. Not sure of her location but about 20 minutes outside of Charlston. She said the impact will be sometime between 3 and 4 pm. 

We here in VA are getting the remnants of IAN.  Mostly wind and rain. At times wind gust but not bad and heavy rain off and on. I am sure VA Beach will have flooding though. 

So far there are 19 dead in Florida and rescue is still ongoing.  Fort Myers is torn up. Watching the pictures on Acu weather and it is really bad. Billions of dollars in damages. 

Mt. Rider yes Sanibel Island has no way to get off Island. I think they are now using planes to land there to rescue people. The road to the mainland is a total wash out. Worst flooding in 500 years. 

• Like 1

I used to live in Clearwater. We went through Hurricane Donna. I remember we evacuated to a solid cement block building and we slept on the floor with about 50 other people. The following year we moved back to Indiana. I don't know if that was the reason for the move. I was only 10 years old at the time. 

It is amazing to see all of those causeways spanning the water in Florida. Both across the bays and the ocean. On Sanibel they said it could be years before they get that bridge repaired. In the meantime they are figuring out a ferry system for them. :pray:

Looking at all of that destruction and miles and miles of flattened debris, it really brings home the fact that you can be as prepared as humanly possible but when an act of God or the forces of nature occur, it can all be wiped out in the blink of an eye. A tornado is what concerns me in my area. It flattens and scatters everything in its path but in a smaller area. And much faster. Ian has spawned tornados too. 

I have family and friends in Florida and they are farther in-land. But they are still facing flooding now.

• Sad 3

My GD and her DH lives just outside of Charlston SC.  They did fine. She said lights blinked on and off a few times, but no major flooding around her area. 

I pray that Ambergris is doing good, and everything was ok.  That hurricane was for sure historic.  Florida really got torn up. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Littlesister said:

My GD and her DH lives just outside of Charlston SC.  They did fine. She said lights blinked on and off a few times, but no major flooding around her area. 

I pray that Ambergris is doing good, and everything was ok.  That hurricane was for sure historic.  Florida really got torn up. 

My brother lives in Kissimmee. All he got was a very wet front and back yard with some standing water.

I bet @Darlene is very happy to no longer be living in Florida!

• Like 2

Where we lived, the structures were built to withstand hurricanes. We went through a Cat 5 hurricane in the early 90's. I wouldn't have been too concerned about the storm surge either for various reasons. But, I am grateful that my family there did not have to endure it because the work involved afterwards is endless.

• Like 3