MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm hosting a Cookie Exchange!

I'm hosting a Cookie Exchange for the Church ladies next month. Have you ever been to one? What made it successful? What did you like/not like about it? Any thoughts or ideas about it?

I'm asking each lady to bring 3 dozen cookies, 2.5 to share and 1/2 to eat while there. I'm thinking about 20 ladies will come. We (some friends and I) will share soup and bread for dinner, and hot chocolate bar.

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! :cook::pc_coffee:

• Like 3

I've never been in one either. Sounds like fun!

Hope everyone doesn't bring the same thing though. Like chocolate chip cookies. 3 doz cookies = 36 cookies times 20 ladies could = 720 of the same kind of cookie. That could be 720 chocolate chip cookies. I'd try to find out what kind they are making. Or at least an idea. That probably wouldn't happen but I suppose it could.  :shrug: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've done lots with both work and church, but none recently. 

Delicate cookies never travel well.   Someone(s) will always make delicate cookies.  Be gracious and don't mention it.  

Bring a box of quart sized zip lock bags.   Bring 2.   Just in case.

Tell everyone to bring a large giftbox (or basket or whatever)  (flat giftboxes do great) to put it all in for them to take home or get some yourself. 

Decide upfront on how many cookies per person.   2.5dz is 30 so that is barely 1.5 per person on a 20 person list.  You may probably need more cookies for that amount of people.   Usually you want at least 1/2 dz per person or 2 at the least.  So 2*20=40 or 3.25 dz per person.  You may have some people making the same type of cookie and that would cut back on how many you need.   When we did the huge ones, we would just group all the chocolate chip, all the sugar, etc. and people would pull out of that to cut back on having to make too many.  Of course everyone doesn't get everything, but that is usually how it goes with larger swaps.  I'd advise on 4-6dz per person for this size group.  Of course you may just want each lady to have 1 cookie and that is ok if you do.  

Even if 6 people bring chocolate chip, none of them will taste the same.  They never do.   

That sounds like a lot of fun!   Enjoy your evening.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Euphrasyne, I didn’t follow your math too well but I’ve been involved in a lot of cookie exchanges and if each person brings 2.5 dozen cookies and six cookies go in the common snack to eat that still leaves 2 dozen mix and match they can go home with.  Of course no one gets the same cookies as the next person, either to eat or take home, but that’s the fun of the exchange.  You still get 2 dozen of a variety that you didn’t have to bake.  Looks like you’ve been slaving over a hot oven. :grinning-smiley-044: when set out for your own family. 

it is true that delicate cookies don’t travel well and it often ends up with a lot of leftover crumbs, which by the way, make good desert toppings. If you are hosting the exchange you and maybe one or two others, might want to consider contributing extra cookies for that possibility.  As for containers to take cookies home they usually have the ones they brought their cookies into refill.  

Something our church has done for years with their cookie exchange is to have everyone bring 4-5 dozen cookies or perhaps a double batch.  As normal they set some out to eat.  Then each person chooses two dozen to take home.  The rest of the cookies are plated and/or bagged/boxed in festive containers and later distributed to shut-ins, sometimes accompanied by Carolers, sometimes along with a nice visit. Such fun! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, ladies, for your ideas and comments!! I have to say that I envisioned me telling my husband that 6 ladies brought chocolate chip cookies, and him wondering what the problem with that was....:24: He is going to make some of his bars and send them with me so I can bring extra cookies home. Smart man, that one.

I've sent our pastor a write up to print out and put in the bulletin, and I'm hoping ladies will come. A few friends and I are going to bring soup and bread for supper, and we'll have a couple of prizes for best cookie (best flavor and/or presentation) and most festive dress. I've done a couple of these before, and it really is a lot of fun. I'll see if I can find some pictures, and if not, I'll take some that night and post them! :)

• Like 4
  • 5 weeks later...

Well....I did it. I'm SO tired....but we had a good time. Only about 15 of us, but a good time was had by all. We got a ton of cookies! We will be giving some away to the garbage man, mail lady, neighbors, etc....and of course, for Christmas!

• Like 7
54 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Beautiful table displays!  :bow:

Is that pretty little cookie elf your daughter?  :wub:

I need some chocolate now. :yum3:

Thanks, Jeepers!! I really enjoy doing these style events. Someone once told me I could do it for a living....but then I would have to do what other people want me to do, and we can't have that! :24:

That's my middle daughter....she's sweet, and stood next to the hot chocolate bar, willing and ready to serve anyone their hot chocolate. That girl stumps me. Sweet as can be with a servant's heart, but fiercely competitive and hates to loose. Very creative, too! She helped me a lot making the party look "fancy." :wub:

Come on over. The amount of cookies we walked away with is ridiculous. Good thing we have plans to give most away!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I love it all.  The table looked so festive and the cookies were displayed so nicely.  I especially liked the ones in the tree shaped trays.  The soups were a super addition to the day.  That was a great idea.  Lots of work but so worth it for the joy it brings.  

Your daughter is beautiful, inside and out.  Competitiveness and creativity will give her the drive to make her mark in life and I’m pretty sure her Mama will help her direct it appropriately.  Big hugs to you both for a job well done. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Mother said:

I love it all.  The table looked so festive and the cookies were displayed so nicely.  I especially liked the ones in the tree shaped trays.  The soups were a super addition to the day.  That was a great idea.  Lots of work but so worth it for the joy it brings.  

Your daughter is beautiful, inside and out.  Competitiveness and creativity will give her the drive to make her mark in life and I’m pretty sure her Mama will help her direct it appropriately.  Big hugs to you both for a job well done. 

Thank you, Mother. My other daughters were there as well....but I only have group photos of them, and I'm not sure if the other ladies would appreciate me posting their pictures. I have much to be thankful, though, all in their own ways. I need to get better at taking intentional pictures with them!! ❤️

• Like 5

Hold your loved ones close.

*sigh*

One of the girls in the Bible Study I lead texted me this morning to say that she and her family wouldn't be at church this morning as planned, because her aunt died unexpectedly last night. As in while or just after the cookie exchange. She and her grandma were at the cookie exchange last night, so the lady that died would have been her daughter. She was only 48 years old. Blood clots, they said.

*sigh*

I cried with and for them this morning. And for the little old lady that can barely make it to church anymore, but was there to see the children's Christmas program. Her SIL died last Monday. Blood clots, too, I believe, but it doesn't really matter at this point, he's gone. I cried with her, too. 

*sigh*

Hold your loved ones close. Enjoy the season, go to cookie exchanges and children's Christmas programs, ride around in the car, block after block looking at Christmas lights while listening to Christmas music and enjoying hot chocolate. But keep your accounts clear, first with God, then with others....and hold your loved ones close.

Edited by Joyfilled
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Joyfilled, I'm so sorry to hear that. That is so sad. :sad-smiley-012: 

"But keep your accounts clear, first with God, then with others....and hold your loved ones close." Very sage advice!

BTW, blood clots and myocarditis have become the new malady since around 2020 in otherwise healthy young-ish people.  :(

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Joyfilled, I'm so sorry to hear that. That is so sad. :sad-smiley-012: 

"But keep your accounts clear, first with God, then with others....and hold your loved ones close." Very sage advice!

BTW, blood clots and myocarditis have become the new malady since around 2020 in otherwise healthy young-ish people.  :(

Just what hubby and I were saying earlier today. Seems so common now, just in the last couple of years. So sad. :(

• Like 3

My uncle by marriage died of brain cancer at 36.  My aunt, his wife, died of gallbladder cancer at 49.  She was a year and 10 days younger than my mother.  Every year for those 10 days, she used to call my mother and say 'you are 2 years older than me.'   It is funny what we remember about people.  It was really hard for my grandmother most of all.  

• Like 3

I had a couple in my church that would call me a lot when DH was sick and then after he passed as well. They were a huge help. I found out a few days ago that they're oldest son of 35 years old suddenly died from an aneurysm.  Seems it runs in the family as his mother had a bad stroke from one. He came home from work said he felt sick and then just died. No chance to get him to a hospital. So thankful he made it home to his family safely as he drove himself home from work. He passed not long after he got home.  We just never know what could happen and so fast as well. 

Jeepers you are so right about keeping your accounts clear.  And please above all know that you are saved in the Lord. Sad times we live in these days. 

Joyfield, so sad to hear that that happened.   

The table and things look really nice.  And your daughter is beautiful. I know she as well as your other 2 daughters were a big help and had loads of fun and cookies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1