MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Stovetop rice cooker

Hi! I made curry lentils today on the wood stove and served them with rice. I was pretty pleased with myself that I had everything I needed in storage and cooked it without electricity!! But...the rice was done in the instapot. Rice is a big part of our preps and we realized that we most likely won't use the insta pot to cook it, and are afraid of scorching the rice cooking it on the wood stove. 

We thought of a stovetop rice steamer. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

IMG_20221207_181618532.jpg

Edited by Joyfilled
Autocorrect!!
  • Like 2

I used to have an electric rice cooker. When it quit working, I went back to cooking my rice on the stove. Not wood stove but on my natural gas stove. I have been thinking about trying it on the wood stove, but the pan will be sitting on a cast iron trivet, so it won't be directly on stove. You do have to keep an eye on it as it will be done in about 15 to 20 minutes depending on how much you are cooking. 

• Thanks 1

Joyfilled, I don’t have a stove top rice cooker but I have started the rice in the stove top and then finished it in the oven.  It takes a bit of a learning curve but once you figure out what the temps are for different fires it works great.  I might suggest that you don’t let the rice boil over on your cook surface.  I bet you can guess why!!!  

I use an electric rice cooker but have been considering trying to make it in my insulated cooker.  Would take a lot longer, like using a crock pot, but would only need bringing to a boil and then allowing it to slow cook.  My insulated cooker isn’t real big but it does have two pans that nest so I could be cooking rice in one and the topping for the rice in the other.  I cook oatmeal and other grains in it but just never thought of trying rice.  

• Thanks 1

We eat rice around 5+times a week.   I usually either make it on a pot on the stove or in the microwave.     Rice 2X water microwave 10m, stir, microwave 10m.   If looking like may need more water after first go, add more.  It always turns out a bit sticky and perfect in the microwave and frees up stove burners for other things.  I usually make plain white rice in the microwave.   You can also make it in a double boiler if you are really worried about it burning.   It can also be baked in the oven, but will have a slightly  more toothsome texture, starting it on the stove and moving it is optional --you can place it in the oven raw.   In fact many casseroles call for raw rice, liquid, meat and veg on top then bake.    

It will turn out less sticky if you rinse the starch out and change the water a few times before you start, but we usually want it a bit sticky for the dishes we are making.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

I haven't tried to cook rice on wood stove yet. But want to try it. I am thinking of using my small cast iron pot with the lid. I will set that on a cast iron trivet so it won't burn. My wood stove is nothing more than a wood stove for heating house but has a flat surface that I can cook on. I have only cooked chicken and biscuits on it so far. 

• Like 1

We had a electric rice cooker when we lived in s.e. Asia. Went back to stovetop after we got back. The rice stuck to the bottom and was a pain to clean in the electric one. I would try the woodstove and use more water. As soon as it gets colder out, I'll go back to cooking on it.  :wave:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Homesteader said:

We had a electric rice cooker when we lived in s.e. Asia. Went back to stovetop after we got back. The rice stuck to the bottom and was a pain to clean in the electric one. I would try the woodstove and use more water. As soon as it gets colder out, I'll go back to cooking on it.  :wave:

We'll be having leftover lentils today (I always make enough for two meals, or try to), I'll see if I can make the rice on the stove, too! 😬🙈👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Usually just use a pot on my gas stove, but I have made it in a double boiler when it had more delicate bits in it that might scorch.   Just put all your stuff in the top pot and let it go until done.  Usually about 30m total from off to done on a gas stove in a double boiler.  In the regular pot, just bring it to a boil then turn it to low with a lid on.   This would mean moving it from the hot part of the stove to the less hot part of the stove.   Or...in the double boiler you would just leave it wherever.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually only cook it for 15 minutes instead of 20 minutes. I fluff it with a fork and leave the lid on until my stir fry is done. I would try it on our woodstove for the shorter time and set it aside to see if it will finish cooking with the steam in the pot on the side of the stove. I remember learning about the hay box cooking in the UK during WWII.  :happy0203:  You've got me interested in experimenting more this winter on the woodstove.  :hug3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Homesteader said:

I usually only cook it for 15 minutes instead of 20 minutes. I fluff it with a fork and leave the lid on until my stir fry is done. I would try it on our woodstove for the shorter time and set it aside to see if it will finish cooking with the steam in the pot on the side of the stove. I remember learning about the hay box cooking in the UK during WWII.  :happy0203:  You've got me interested in experimenting more this winter on the woodstove.  :hug3:

Be sure to share....I need to learn more!!:hug3: