MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are we able to look back and laugh?

I sure hope you've used the last year or so to put some of this essential supply into your preps!

I don't think any of us are as agile as these kitties, but perhaps you've installed a bidet since then?

I keep lots of washclothes at the ready since it is only me and I don't have to worry about "sharing" them. :bow:

TPpanic.thumb.jpg.ec8ed2e6a217316d4d004c9fc1849693.jpg

:24: :24: :24:

• Haha 4
  • 6 months later...

I have to get my machine up and running in Indy. If I can find it. I have the flannel bought, washed, ironed and ready. I'm just not sure what size to make them. I folded some real TP around my hand a few times and it looked about right so that's how I'm going to deside. I'm going to double it up and sew a line or two across the two pieces it to hold them together in the wash. Quilted Northen a la  Jeeper's. 

Probably end up looking like a pot holder. :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have tried a few different pre-made dish and shop towels, and those are about the right size, all things considered.  Some are much better touch-wise and absorbency-wise than others. 

How well does your flannel wash, bleach, and line-dry? 

• Like 2

Now that I can get to my sewing machine and things are starting to shape up in the house some. I want to sit down and get some things made. I to have the flannel for TP.  I have the very light colors so they can be bleached easy. I have a diaper pail as well so I can just drop them in that with bleach water and borax, till I have a load to wash. I think they will dry fast in summertime but in winter not as fast if they are hung outside. I have 3 of the indoor lines where you pull the line out and across the room to hang clothes. Then just unhook the line to roll into the I can't think of what you call it but the line rolls into it till next time. I plan to hook up all 3 of them after I get the garage set like I want it. I do have one up already. 

• Like 1

I bought a package of 24 Terry washcloths on Amazon. They are supposedly hotel ones but I like them a lot to use as personal wipes. I will be buying more soon just to have on hand. 

• Like 3

My flannel is light colored too. Not sure how well it will hold up in bleach though. Drying shouldn't be an issue. It isn't that heavy. Two yards of it dried in the dryer in about 15 min. So outside on a sunny day it should just take a couple of hours. I assume. 

I heard baby wash cloths make really good family cloths. I used to use them 50+ years ago for son. I don't think we had baby wipes back then. If we did I couldn't have afforded them anyway. They were nice and soft but not very thick. Think of really thin terrycloth. I don't know how they are made today. For me, I don't think they really have to be very thick. I'm thinking more in line of a 'pat dry' situation. They wouldn't be used like a menstrual pad. I'd use TP for other things as long as I could. And if you had a bidet of some sort, even a squirt bottle, just a couple of pats to dry should do the trick.   :gdtmi:Grooming will help.

• Like 1

I will be checking out a lot of my supplies once I finish up on getting house together. I think I had packed washcloths into a 5 gal. bucket with a toilet seat on it for emergencies. But need to get into attic and pull everything down from there. Making plans now for redoing the garage setup so it better works for me. It was set up for DH and all his tools and things, but now I really think I need to make it work for my needs now.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I have plenty of paper goods. TP, paper towels and paper plates etc. I rarely use paper towels except for really messy clean ups. I can see me sharing my TP with sons though. I did notice they had a big package of TP in one of the bathrooms. She might have got it at Costco.

When everything was still a dollar at the Dollar Tree, I really loaded up on Kleenex too. I probably have 30 boxes. I was thinking of using them for TP if I ever run out. Plan B.

I also got some of those little round disk things where you just add a little water and they expand into something that looks like a wet wipe. I don't remember what they are called but I have over 500 of them. They look like individual mints wrapped up. I think they are mostly for camping. Plan C.

And I brought my flannel back here in case I can get my old sewing machine going again. I can make some cloth wipes. Plan D.

I'm good for long term food storage but way behind in the home canned food department. Way behind and that's what I eat the most of.

But the med supply really concerns me though. I have plenty of that but it does expire or lose its potency. I've read about a possible medicine supply shortage but seriously folks, lately I've had quite a few different meds prescribed because of trying to get my blood pressure meds figured out, my perforated eardrum and UTI's. And nearly every single one of the new meds have been on back order. Granted, I'm not shopping around to different pharmacies and I'm okay waiting the three days it takes to get the meds. I'm only saying that it is happening to me already and I'm noticing. And all of these meds are common things. Not major drugs for things like cancer or diseases. Last year DIL had to go to three different pharmacies to get G-sons Amoxicillin. I'm just reporting my own experiences. I haven't checked out the OTC meds lately. They can be pretty slim this time of year. Cold/flu season.

• Like 1

Jeepers, they are called coin tissues. I also have a couple of boxes of them. 500 in each box. 

Meds are the only thing that I am concerned about. I need to go pick one up now. But holding out till Thursday for senior day. Might pick up some cat litter for the 5 gal. buckets for toilets. I have a couple of buckets of cat litter now but had to use some for-oil leak from construction workers trucks and then the over spill from when I had the oil changed in my car. 

Most medication will go way beyond the expiration dates. Not liquids. It is why I don't buy Advil or Aleve in the gel form. Aspirin you have to watch. If it smells like vinegar, it is no good. 

I am good on paper plates, bowls, table napkins, Kleenex I could use more. and paper towels. I only use those for bad spills and with canning. 

I might look around the pantry at foods that I use a lot of. And make a decision later about stocking more of only those items. 

• Like 1
On 3/16/2023 at 1:21 PM, Jeepers said:

I want to get a little portable bidet. Even if it is only for cold water. Would be nice in the summer. I think :unsure:. I made some flannel cloths. I don't plan on using them butt I will if I have to. 

On 3/16/2023 at 1:21 PM, Jeepers said:

butt I will if I have to.

:008Laughing::24::008Laughing:

• Haha 2

@Jeepers, it was late and I couldn’t sleep. Got up and this thread had been commented on new. Humor Me forum... talking about tp, bidets, clothes, etc... 

And you said BUTT instead of BUT. Hit my funny bone! :laughkick:

• Haha 2

Maybe one day with all the crazy prepping we have been having to prepare for, we will hopefully be able to look back on all the stuff we have done and have a good laugh.  Though I still can't figure out why the TP was the first thing to disappear when covid began. I would have thought food and bottled water would have been the first to dwindle down to slim pickings. So, here we are talking about butt wipes.

• Like 1