MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Weather Warnings

Talk about fear mongering!  

I was coming from the house a couple of hours ago and the warning buzzer came on the radio. There is severe weather and tornadoes to the west of me coming my way. I knew where it was and that I had plenty of time to get back to the hotel, so I was in no immanent danger. An hour after I got to the hotel it started in. We are getting storms now and heavy rain. I hear it. And see some lightning. Radar looks like it might go south of me. That happens here quite often here. 

What got me was the emergency announcer. He said, "There WILL be roofs and windows damaged,"  He also said, "There WILL be trailers blown away and damaged."  I'm all for warning people but I think he went too far in his assumptions. They usually say, "There is a chance of..." Some people were calling into the station complaining. It wasn't their fault. One radio guy said he didn't even hear the broadcast. I believe him because when he came back on the air, he was talking in mid sentence from where it let off. I suppose it was from the National Weather System? Guess they don't call it forecasting for nothing. 

• Sad 4

Carrollton is just over the bridge from me. My DD used to live there. About 15 minutes from my house. I knew one hit down somewhere but wasn't sure and had not heard anything about it last night or this morning. I did get the warning on my cell phone and things outside didn't look good. We did get some heavy rain and storms but that was it for us. 

• Like 1

Tropical storm 3 is in Atlantic. It will turn into a hurricane. Just hope it doesn't hit here. So far they are saying the Caribbeans and other small islands. So just watching the weather for now. The first 2 were just tropical storms from what they seem to be saying which is why we are getting rain all week.  I'm sure that is where this rain is coming from. It usually does. 

• Like 1

That Tropical storm Bret I think is not going to hit here. Its heading for the Caribbeans. I am thankful for that but we will have rain through next Wed. but that is subject to change.  Weeds are growing just fine. I am going to have a fun summer pulling weeds. I will need to get mulch soon but don't need to be lifting heavy bags of mulch right now. Thinking about getting GS here on a weekend after things dry up a bit to work outside to help me with it. He can do the heavy lifting though he is having issues from his arm he broke at 18 years of age and his mother didn't get him the proper help. Don't think it healed right or he has a pinched nerve around the elbow area. He broke it in 3 places. Wrist,  and 2 places around the elbow. 

• Like 1

Yes, do get help with the heavy stuff.  I can't lift heavy stuff into the Jeep even though it is pretty tall. But I can slide stuff out of it. If you have a wheel barrow, what I'd do is have the guys where you buy it load it in your car. Then when you get home, roll it out of your car into the wheel barrow (or dolly) and wheel it to your garden. That is if your G-son can't help. Not sure that would work as well with a car. My Jeep is about hip level so rolling heavy stuff is pretty easy.

Glad the Hurricane is turning away from you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeeper, it would be a bit harder to get mulch out of the car. But I always figure a way to do it. GS will help me as soon as things dry out. We got more rain today and still expecting even more.  So the weeds are loving it more so than the squash. 

• Like 1

Oh dear. Looks like my area in Indiana will get storms tonight. I'm close to Chicago there.  Looks like some bad storms headed my way in Ohio in the Cleveland area too.  Most of my family is down in South Eastern Indiana. Looks bad for them too. Sheeesh.

I do love me some Ryan Hall, Y'all!  Also Andy Hill. 

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

We will get some of it Monday night in that 2ed round. Also Tropical storm Brett and Cindy. Brett is falling apart and Cindy is not spinning as much but will be heading toward the Bermudas. But neither will make it to hurricane status. We had no rain today but looking like it will start up again on Monday night. I'm already prepared so guess I'll be ok. 

Jeepers stay safe with the rain and hope it will all be nothing but rain and no tornados. in Indy or Ohio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Littlesister, with your preps you will be just fine. As long as the roof stays on you will be good.  :pray:

I'm good in the hotel I'm thinking. It's a good solid 4 story brick building. If worse comes to shove I could evacuate to 'the house' I suppose. Who would have thought that would be my go to plan. 

Son knows if anything happens to his house they can go to my house in Indy. They are less than 10 miles apart. Close enough yet far enough apart. Ya know? We have it planned that if one of our houses is damaged the other one can go to the other ones house. As long as the power stays on everything should be fine. They have a gas generator and I have the gas. I really want a whole house (or at least part of the house) generator. I've been saving up for a Generac. I need to get on the ball pricing them for my house. The power out there isn't the most reliable and I have a freezer full. I know it isn't fool proof (EMP) but it could get me through storms.

My biggest fear is trees falling onto houses. Usually associated with tornadoes. That scares me the most. 

• Like 1

I'm watching Ryan Hall now. Andy Hill is adding info too.  Lots of Indiana is under bad weather warnings. It has passed my sons area with no danger to them.  It's bad around the Shipshewana area now. Also around Indianapolis and Bloomington (I.U.) Looks like it might be headed toward my families in Rush County. :pray:

I'm not in any warnings. Maybe tomorrow.  

Most of our family is in Rush but many in Shelby, Decatur and Fayette. The counties all abut. 

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 1

Hoping we don't get any bad weather, but sounds like we have something coming our way this week. Have had off and on rain and thunderstorms so far. But nothing really bad.  

:pray: for anyone living in an area where the bad weather and tornadoes might be forming. 

We don't have large trees in yard as we took all the pine trees down. We do have several Japanese trees but they don't get large enough to cause any damage if they are taken down in a storm. Would make for good firewood if that happens though. 

• Like 3

Tornado went through south of Indianapolis and did a lot of damage. :(

TRIGGER WARNING! 

If the sight of a tornado bothers you, you might not want to watch. Nothing gory, a just tornado.  It takes a few seconds for the film to start. Frightening and powerful.

Shocking, Powerful Tornado Rips Through Indiana Residences - Videos from The Weather Channel

• Sad 4

While I was watching Ryan Hall, Y'all, the guy who filmed that sent it in and Ryan played it live. He said that guy edits most of their film footage. He was in the right place at the right time I guess. I can't imagine how anyone lived through that. That's why tornadoes scare me. I would have probably died of fright. You can prep to the hilt but when one of those blows by...it's all gone. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Jeepers, that was a really bad tornadoes.  Hope there isn't going to be an ongoing issue all summer with them. They can do a lot of damage in more ways than one. 

We have another tropical storm brewing. Hoping it won't turn into anything. Just watching for now. 

• Like 3

Mt. Rider, we have had enough rain here for both your mom and me. And I am hoping it is over for a while. I really need to get out there and do some weeding. Ground was still really wet this morning when I went out to check everything. But was able to pick some squash.  I am in The Northern end of Suffolk. 

• Like 1