MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

White flesh peaches are not cannable?

Did anyone here know that?

I don't can fruit - for a variety of reasons - so maybe that is why I "missed" this information.

Anyway, I am following a couple of "Master Canner" sites and this PSA appeared on my timeline today. Thought I would share it in case anyone here puts them up.

Happy National Peach Month! As you try to savor the flavor of our delicious Illinois peaches all year, remember that white-fleshed peaches are unsafe for canning. Try freezing instead!

peaches.thumb.jpg.73044451343b25bbafaa4f9853cf0191.jpg

Link for info on freezing fruits: https://extension.illinois.edu/food/freezing-fruits

Apparently it is unknown how much citric acid would need to be added to make canning them safe.

• Thanks 1

Never heard that before, but they are so good we can't quit eating.  DH grandparents had a peach orchard and grew several varieties.  The white peaches were very easy to bruise, and oh so good to eat.

• Like 2

I haven't canned peaches in years. But they were not the white fleshed ones. I have been thinking about canning fruit again so glad to know about this. Right now, the only fruit I have for back up is freeze dried and dehydrated fruit. I do have some unsweetened store-bought fruit, but it has gotten so expensive now.  It's sort of hard to pay over $2.00 for a can of fruit when I was buying it for 50 cents a can at one point. So, will be starting back at some point canning fruit again.

• Like 1

We had white fleshed and clings when I was growing up.  Mom always canned the clings but never the white fleshed ones. I can't tell you if there was a reason or not.  I never thought of it until you asked.  We ate tons of the white flesh fresh.  Back then, they weren't a very big peach like they are today, but, oh so good!

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was a difference. The yellow ones are so pretty canned. Hopefully, I'll be able to put some up next summer. I really want some peach pie filling canned for cobblers. All of the peaches I see in the stores are rock hard and nearly flavorless. 

I can't tell you how much I've miss canning the past couple of years. :(

• Sad 2

You are right Jeepers. Peaches in store are hard and just don't taste as good. Hoping to find a farm market that sells them. Or I can just go to the huge market in NC to buy them. Those are the biggest, sweetest peaches around. It's on the way to Nags Head and I want to make a trip there next year, so will definitely be buying peaches and other produce on the way back home.

• Like 2

ANOTHER FRUIT THAT DOESN'T FOLLOW THE RULES FOR CANNING

Asian Pears are not like other pears. 

Important: All home canned Asian Pears must be acidified before canning in a boiling water canner to make them safe from the microorganism that causes botulism.

Link to correct processing instructions:  https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/asian_pears.html?fbclid=IwAR1xkiPEzDChDmrgdeqa7rLBdonUC0Yeh444NKxUP9RK847PunaeoVp3jI0

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Pears are one thing I have not canned, Thinks for the info. I printed it out. I would like to can some pairs if I can find some fresh ones other than the stores. 

I was reading about telling the "ripeness" of pears - mostly for those who have trees - but useful for canning me-thinks. 

If you have a tree do not let the fruit ripen on the tree- they soften very quickly once picked and must be processed right away. Instead, pick them when the "neck" of the pear is slightly soft and allow them to ripen slowly to the texture you would like them to be. 

Pears tend to ripen from the inside, so if you leave them on the tree until they look ripe, they may already be mushy inside. So it is best to pick pears when they are mature but not fully ripe, and let them ripen at home.

https://www.theorchardproject.org.uk/guides_and_advice/when-should-you-pick-apples-pears/

How to Tell if Pears Are Ready to Harvest! 

Here are my 3 signs to look for that indicate maturity in pears.

• Thanks 1