MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Okay, She Gave Me A Box. That's What She Gave Me.

Jeepers

"How did she do that!?" :o

And yes, that is Andy Griffith in the background whistling. Hillbillies. LOL

His mom was trying to hurry him along so the video wouldn't be to long to send in an email. He called me later and was pretty excited.  Dad said he played with them the most today. Mom said there are butterflies all over the house now. I'm why they can't have nice things.  :D

VID20231225102421.mp4 - OneDrive

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

All along I've been trying to imagine what you were talking about in giving him a "box full of butterflies."  :scratchhead: Now I understand. :hapydancsmil:

The only thing I could imagine up to this point was when Prince Edvar gave Paige a room full of Monarch butterflies in the movie, "The Prince and Me." :rolleyes:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Haha 1

Mt. Rider, remember way back in the day we used to have balsa wood type toy propeller airplanes? The propeller was on a rubber band, the other end was hooked into the body of the plane. You would turn the propeller around and around with your finger then let it fly. It's the same thing with the butterfly. The head of the butterfly acts like a propeller. I wound each one up 40-45 turns and when the rubber band unwound, it made it fly. They fly as long as there is still twist in the rubber band. Hardest part was getting all 20 wound up at the same time and in the box. As soon as you stop turning the 'propeller' part they immediately take off very fast. I had to sit on the floor with the box and use my feet to hold the butterflies down while I kept winding more. Then get the book I bought him in there to help hold them down so I could get the lid on.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Haha 2

So cute!  "she gave me a box."  That is one for the 'sayings' journal.   

Some of our favorites from the past are 'smells like hungry'  and 'what are you, some kind of time wizard?'  I keep a notebook of the fun things they say over the years.  

You can use a clothespin or paperclip to temporarily hold the butterflies closed until you are ready to undo them and press them into the box.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

With the butterflies, you have to hold on to the body with one hand and the head with the other hand at the same time. You sort of user your index finger on the head part to wind the head up. If you don't, the body part will unwind as fast as the head would. Body and head are two solid pieces with a rubber band between them holding them together. The rubber band get all twisted up until you let it loose. No where to clip anything. The body is as wild as the head. 

image.jpeg            image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've clipped them before.  The pressure needs to go over the top of the U for the head and clasp onto the 'hook or loop.'  It stops the hook from spinning and makes it catch.  The first time can be tricky, but after you get used to where it needs to go, it isn't bad.  I had to help do like 1K for a wedding awhile back.  We then made a grid where we glued down the closepins and ziplined a trigger to open them.  We disguised the base with greenery.  It looked like they flew off a trellis--too much work, but it was pretty.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4