MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning potatoes

Originally Posted By: Genoa
Question: I have read several times that you should choose small-to-medium sized potatoes for canning. Is there a particular reason for that? I'd really like to use the bags of potatoes that Costco sells---they are usually very large potatoes, which I like because it means less peeling.

You can use these. Just be sure to cut in pieces close to the same size.
  • 16 years later...

Bumpity-Bump-Bump. :D

I read up there someplace where someone complaining about the mushy potatoes in the bottom of the jar. This is most likely potatoes starch. Harmless but gross looking. If I don't blanch my potatoes and skim them before canning, then I soak the raw ones, usually over night or a few hours to skim off the starch. 

Canned potatoes fried with onions in bacon grease is very good. I usually do rinse them before dumping them in the skillet. It depends on if there is too much starch in the bottom of the jar. They are also good in soups and stews. For safety sake, be sure to pressure can them and not water bath. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can potatoes every year in the fall when we dig them up. Any that are damaged get canned. 
Variety makes a difference. I grow Pontiacs. Reds and whites have less starch. Yukons and Russets have more and leave the *sludge* at the bottom of the jars. 

I believe it was Lowie that asked about waterbath canning. IIRC, she’s in England. Many countries don’t have access to pressure canners. 
Waterbath times for potatoes is 3 hrs at a rolling boil. And always boil for 15 minutes after opening a jar before consuming.

• Like 3

Yukon Gold potatoes is what I am using to do the dry canning. I have canned potatoes many times with no issues but never dry canning them. So just doing 2 or 3 jars to see how they will turn out. The rest will be done the way the ball blue book says. Just hope it works out.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Odd about the potatoes varieties. Most canning books say to use Yukon Gold for canning.  :shrug:

I’ve never canned anything except Pontiac reds, so can’t speak from experience on the others...

With the reds, I peel, cut into pieces and put into a big pan of water as I go. Once done, I drain them, fill back up and swish around, drain again. So, two rinses and into the jars and fill with water (raw/cold pack). I don’t get much sediment (starch).

I’ve only read on some of the canning groups about gals canning other varieties. Some rinse MULTIPLE (4-6) times and/or soak overnight, parboil and rinse, and still complain about the starch in their jars.

I googled once and saw that red, white and waxy varieties have less starch and yellow, Yukon, and russet have more starch. If you google glycemic index for potatoes, there’s a lot of starch info. Also, if you can new (small) or fingerling potatoes whole, uncut, with the skin on, there’s almost no sediment. 😉 I always sort those out and can them together for soups/stews.

ETA: I also drain and rinse canned potatoes before using. Except the small ones... dump them right in the soup pot. 

Edited by Necie
  • Like 3

I'm going to try my hand at rebel canning this year. We aren't big fans of canned carrots but I've seen a recipe for canning them in onion soup. 'They' say they taste like roasted carrots which I like. Maybe G-son will even eat them. 

I'm also going to try it with potatoes too I think. 

But it isn't an approved method. :whistling:

• Like 2