MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Who Here, Eats Leftovers?

UKGuy

We sure eat our leftovers! Hubby may eat them one other night for a quick dinner but I tend to warm up several lunches and eat leftovers all week long. I especially like planned leftovers, such as pot roast that turns into beef stew or roasted/baked chicken that finds its way to chicken noodle soup. Not much food gets wasted here.

I cook to have leftovers. People beg for some of my leftovers. Right now I have a huge batch of beef stew and a good sized bowl of chili. I will freeze them both for a later date. I also make double soup, take some to the shut-ins I know, some to one homeless man who stays near our church, and some for the freezer. My best friend said they are not leftovers to them. Just on how you look at the big picture. Lots of people I know don't cook and welcome a "leftover" meal.

I too cook to have leftovers.. they get frozen for my husbands lunch the next day or the following day. I make egg muffins for the month and freeze them... would they be leftovers? LOL!

some of my leftovers get canned!

but if one cooks intentionally to have left overs... could they be considered leftovers?

The ole goat usually takes them in his lunch the next day! Then Jo and I will eat on what's left.. Saving leftovers for his lunches the next saves a bunch on money.. (lunchmeat, bread, snacks what have ya)

I too cook to have leftovers. DH and I can eat the same thing 2 or 3 times a week and still enjoy it. When I have way more than we can eat (which is often planned) I freeze it for later use.

Since we don't have a McDonald's, etc. closer than 35 miles from us the frozen meals and canned goods are our "fast food"!

I bought two oven roasters (Perdue) buy 1 get one free ( about 6.5 # each). Jim cut up breast into fillets,makes 2 packages, legs, wings and thighs, in another 2 packages, then the rest is put in the stock pot and cooked with celery carrots and onions, add poultry seasoning, salt pepper and garlic the resulting broth is frozen to be used for gravy, chicken soup, and stuffing. for the 2 of us, this makes about 10 meals for $11.50 worth of chicken.

What are leftovers?

I hate leftover...I hate them I hate them I hate them...

My children dislike them so it's not worth the fight...lol

Consequently I cook fresh every day and once in a while if there's extra, it'll either go to waste *sigh* or I'll get someone to eat it.

I make the egg muffins also, but one other favorite to put in the freezer is stuffed french toast. Make your french toast batter. Take two slices of bread and fill them with cream cheese and light spread of jelly, dip and fry, when cool (if you don't eat first) wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer. I often do two loaves of bread at a time and make as many as I can. My best friend loves them and sometimes raids my freezer. (She tells me that she does. Then I find replacement bread, cream cheese and eggs).

Quote:
Of course we eat our leftovers. I can never forget about the starving children of China and India when I was growing up. The few things that we don't finish up, go to the dog.

I too remember my mother telling my sisiters and I,
to eat everything on our plates, 'cuz there are children starving elsewhere.
Strangely enuff, I use to tell my daughters the same thing,
"One should eat everything on their plate, 'cuz there are children starving in China."

Leftovers make life easier (if your family will eat them). I like roasting chicken (meal one), chicken with rice (meal two) and chicken soup (meal three). Same with roasts that turn into other meals. But also large quantities of soup, stew, casseroles that can be enjoyed another day and

I like leftovers, though we rarely have any, with just the 2 of us. I especially like leftover Kraft Dinner, fried in a tiny bit of butter (totally not healthy, I know!). It tastes better that way than when it is fresh.

Growing up, we would often have a meal of leftovers when mom was too busy to cook. My dad liked to pretend he was clever, and called it "Leftoverus Adlibidus Conglomerous".

~Jo

We eat left overs for lunch the next day, or for dinner on a night that we're too busy to cook.

Hubby has told me that when he was a child, when his mom served left overs for dinner she called it "Sport Night."

"Because you had to be a good sport and eat it!"

Quote:

Hubby has told me that when he was a child, when his mom served left overs for dinner she called it "Sport Night."
"Because you had to be a good sport and eat it!" Your hubby's mom is a funny lady!!

Archived