MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home canned meat recipes

Bamboo

As a rule of thumb, whatever meats I use to make whatever dishes I currently make, are what I'd use them for if they were canned...for example...

The ground beef I canned, I'd use to make chili, tacos, sloppy joes, picadillo, etc.

The cubed beef I can, I make stews outta, quesadillas, stroganoffs, pot pies, etc...

The chicken sometimes I add salsa and roll up in flour tortillas with cheese inside and bake, pot pies, etc.

If you want some specific recipes, I'll give ya a few of those, if you'd like.

Thanks Darlene. I was actually just looking for ideas. I was at Wally World the other day and they have canned chicken (says a whole chicken) in the size of a large tomato juice can.... for $8.97 each... yikes. My local grocery store, just a family owned business, has the same size can for $4.89. That is more reasonable, but just look at how much we are all saving by canning it ourselves, especially based on WW price.

I'm a firm believer that with a little elbow grease and a few moments of my time, I can save a bundle in foods...not only that, but the end product tastes so much better.

I had to give away alot of my canned goods after the hurricane to those that were needy so while i still have tons, I need to start to replenish and continue to build on what I have.

Quote:
Thanks Darlene. I was actually just looking for ideas. I was at Wally World the other day and they have canned chicken (says a whole chicken) in the size of a large tomato juice can.... for $8.97 each... yikes. My local grocery store, just a family owned business, has the same size can for $4.89. That is more reasonable, but just look at how much we are all saving by canning it ourselves, especially based on WW price.

Buy raw chicken and pressure can it yourself for a much tastier and healthier version. Pressure canning chicken in broth is THE BEST! And since you can frequently buy chicken on sale from .69 cents to $1 a pound, you can get a LOT of jars of chicken for that same $7.48!

OOPS> I forgot to add the recipes as requested on the original post.

I take home canned boneless chicken in broth and pour it into a saucepan with the broth. Add more broth if necessary. Throw in some onion and carrots, a few stalks of chopped celery and cook on high for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and add dumplings ( made quick with Bisquik) to top and cover. Chicken in dumplings will be ready in 5 more minutes!

Or another thing to do with canned chicken, is mix it with a can of cream of chicken soup, heat and pour over noodles or rice.

Or add to rice at beginning of cooking time, add onions and peas, maybe carrots, some cream......mmmm.

I can beef stew ready to go also. And spaghetti sauce with meat.

I have also canned quarts of onion, carrot and celery mixed and in chicken broth so I have instant soup fixins'.

Or you could take you canned chicken ( or beef or whatever) and add it to some of your dehydrated veggies and some broth.

Or crumble your meat and add to an omelette.

Tons of things you can do with it....pretty much any casserole will work with canned meats.

Shall I go on????

Quote:
The ground beef I canned, I'd use to make chili, tacos, sloppy joes, picadillo, etc.

The cubed beef I can, I make stews outta, quesadillas, stroganoffs, pot pies, etc...

The chicken sometimes I add salsa and roll up in flour tortillas with cheese inside and bake, pot pies, etc.

If you want some specific recipes, I'll give ya a few of those, if you'd like.

I want! I want!

Specific Recipes and also about canning ground beef - do you have to can it with a liquid in there or can you can the meat alone?

Maybe if there is a canning basics thread some one needs to refer me to it so I can read it!
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Canned BBQ

• 1 gallon ground beef, cooked til no longer pink, not crisp

• 1 pint catsup (8 ozs)

• 1 c brown sugar

• 2 Tablespoons salt

• 4 Tablespoons vinegar

• 1 tsp barbeque seasoning (or make your own using chili powder, cayenne, etc.)

• Broth or tomato juice to thin and chopped onions if desired

Combine all ingredients except beef, bring to a boil, boil for a few minutes. Add beef, bring back to boil. Put in quart jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Seal and process at 10 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.

Guest Guest

Ijust had cataract surgery so there was a delay in my first post. Nice to meet all of you.

I can hamburg stew; browned, drained hamburg, diced potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans, corn and peas and onions. Tonight the children and grandchildren were here. We'd been working in the gardens all day and needed something quick. I opened three quarts of stew, drained the juice into a pan and thickened with gravy mix, added the stew from the jars and simmered while I made baking powder biscuits. We had home canned hamburg stew, thickened with gravy mixes over half whole wheat flour baking powder biscuits.

I also can beef stew. We love acorn squash cut in half and the innards cleaned out, with stew ladled into the hollow left by the innards and baked until the squash is done. When the squash is tender, I put a handful of cheese on top and put back into the oven until the cheese is melted. This is a really tasty fall meal and a warm your tummy winter meal.

Guest Guest

Oh my gosh! What an awesome idea to bake the stew in the acorn squash! I love acorn squash and to top it off with cheese when it is done sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for the idea!

By the way, welcome to MrsSurvival...I hope that your eyes heal up fast and that you'll feel comfortable jumping right in...we have a great group of people here, but watch out for that westie woman...she's trouble!

Okay....I usually buy canned chicken at Costco (which of course is more expensive than canning myself). I also just bought a couple bags of Frozen Boneless Chicken Breasts at Stater Bros. because they had a really, really good sale on them. So, can I just raw pack those in water too? We prefer white meat in things like chicken casserole, potpies, etc.

I just want to make sure because I have never canned meat before except in a soup!

That's what I have been doing too, buying the canned chicken at Sam's. But we are thinking to take a beef to the butcher soon, and I would like to try canning some. Can you raw pack beef with water or broth over it? The Blue Book seems to indicate you should cook the meat partly before you put it in the jars. But I thought the canning process also cooks the food, am I wrong?

Guest Guest

Tx ~

The National Center for Home Food Preservation support canning red meats raw...actually they are done both ways:

Hot pack – Precook meat until rare by roasting, stewing, or browning in a small amount of fat. Add 1 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with pieces and add boiling broth, meat drippings, water, or tomato juice, especially with wild game), leaving 1-inch headspace.

Raw pack – Add 2 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-inch headspace. Do not add liquid.

Pressure gauge processing times:

Pints - 75 minutes, 0-2000ft 11lb, 2001-4000ft 12lb, 4001-6000ft 13lb, 6001-8000ft 14lb

Quarts - 90 minutes, 0-2000ft 11lb, 2001-4000ft 12lb, 4001-6000ft 13lb, 6001-8000ft 14lb

Weighted Gauge processing times:

Pints - 75 minutes, 0-1000ft 10lb, Above 1001ft 15lb

Quarts - 90 minutes, 0-1000ft 10lb, Above 1001ft 15lb

By the same token, you can get more beef in the jar and it ends up more tender if you pre-cook it first.

Thanks for the info Darlene!

Mom says she remembers her mom and aunt canning beef, she said it had great brown gravy with it, so they must have used the hot pack method. Makes sense that you could get more in the jar and that it would be more tender if you cooked it some first.

We pulled out a jar of beef this weekend and this is what I did with it. All the kids LOVED it

I took one qt jar of beef cubes and drained the broth into a sauce pan. Heated it up with some dehydrated onions and some garlic powder. When it was almost boiling I added a bit of flour to thicken. Then I added a can of cream of mushroom soup. After mixing the soup in well, I added in the meat, let it come to a light boil, then turned it down to simmer. Served over egg noodles and everyone ate it till it was gone.

I've been experimenting with cooking noodles right in the sauce lately to save on water. You might could cook the pasta in the broth will a little extra water and not need to add the flour. That would save an extra pan to wash and the water to boil the pasta in. I might try that next time.

Archived