MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's your favorite?

Dawn, is that a true Hoosier cupboard...I want one, just no place to put it.... I do have a Daisy butter churn like yours though... It was my grandparents and I got it when they both passed away. Your cupboard is gorgeous.

I guess I don't really have a favorite part of my kitchen...it is small. I do love my new counter that dh put in, does that count?

I wish I new how to do a gasp in print- your cupboard is so beautiful!!! I want (need) one so bad -I love the wood. I love your baskets too!!!

My favorite part of my kitchen is my floor. It is wood and we just put it down a few year ago (after using the plywood sub-floor for several years) - so I really appreciate how beautiful it is!!! We did not stain it -just varnished and it is so light and sets the whole room off..

Ohhhhhh, I just love that Buttercup. It is beautiful, everything about it.

I'm sorry to say that I like nothing in my kitchen. Sad, I know but true. Something that has to change soon! I'm working on it. Any suggestions to take a yucky kitchen and turn it into something decent. I do have teak cupboards that I suppose I could focus on and work around. My living room is my sanctuary.

Buttercup, I agree that your cupboard is beautiful! Makes me want to sit in a rocker next to it and enjoy a fire and cup of coffee. I also love your stove. Very homey and comfy.

My kitchen is so small that when I cook, I use my Mom's kitchen. The best part about my kitchen it the huge pantry...and of course, my Kitchenaid.

Erica, teak cupboards? Lovely! Surely you can work with that. Teak is expensive, and just gets better with age.

Buttercup, may I come live with you and all your pretties? I can cook, clean and take a bath on Sundays, even if I don't need it. LOL! Honestly, your cupboard and stove are beautiful and something to be proud of.

I would have to say that I like my baker's rack the best. I have 3 cookie jars (Marilyn Monroe, Dorthy of Oz and Santa in a VW displayed there) as well as some other little kitchen collectibles.

DH and I inherited the Hoosier Cupboard, Threadle sewing machine and clawfoot table from his Grammie.. She was a true homesteading farm wife born in 1906! She died in 2003 at the ripe old age of 97!

In the same room as my cookstove, hoosier cabinet, clawfoot table and sewing machine is also my fireplace and rocking chair... It's an open area that includes the kitchen..It's only 25x12 but I love it...

The Table

Let's see....once I get better, I'll try to remember to take some pictures, but, some of my favorite things in my kitchen are...

My 6' Sub Zero refrigeration system...they're side-by-side units and completely different in construction from the refrigerators I've had in the past and for some reason, their cooling system seems to be really awesome cause my foods last longer since I've gotten them...

My second favorite item in my kitchen is my Garland gas range...it's nothing exceptionally pretty...it's a commercial gas range that's built for power and strength but I absolutely adore this range...it is 3-12" burners across and 2-12" burners deep...the oven is extra large and I hafta say, I've definitely worked the money outta that stove with all the cooking I've done...a couple of the burners go up to 18,000 btu's and if I had to buy all over again, I'd still forego the fancy Viking and Daco type ranges that are just yuppy ranges to me...this is the real thang and it's a workhorse...

I love the island in my kitchen...it's about 6'x5' and it's a granite top so there's never any worry about putting hot pots or items on it. It's big enough to do large buffet type servings although I use it mostly for a work surface. I spend the majority of my time either at the island in my kitchen, at the table on my patio or at night with my laptop in bed lol, so the island gets tons of use out of it.

I also love my knives...I'm a definite knife girl, I hafta have good knives...I can't tell you the times I've sharpened them up and forgotten how sharp they can get and cut myself...my all time favorites are the Wuesthoff knives...I have 2 butcher blocks full of them and love every one of them.

Probably the most sentimental thing that I love that is in my kitchen is a needlepoint that my grandmother had made years and years ago, that hung on her kitchen wall for as long as I can remember. It has yellowed over the years and from exposure to kitchen smoke and grease but it holds the #1 favorite position in my heart. It says "Mothers Homecooking" and is needlework of some fruits and veggies and kitchen tools underneath it.

As I sit here I keep thinking of many different things I love in my kitchen...my ceiling to floor cabinets, this, that and the other, and I think that's probably because it's my favorite room in the house. Everything that is in there, *I* bought cause I wanted it and it's in various ways and degrees, direct expressions of me and what I love. While I've been laid up the last few days from the surgery, it's the place I've missed the most, and the place I look forward most to be able to get back in to. I doubt that I'll ever have a dream kitchen such as this again...it was something I designed after I had my house fire, and that is certainly not anything I'd wanna go through again, so some day I'll hafta say goodbye and that will be a sad day for me. It's the room that I've loved and laughed in, cried and ranted and raved in...been absolutely terrified in, felt absolutely safe in...it's the room that I give a piece of myself to others in when I serve them what I've cooked and it's the one room in the house that can fill the rest of my home with comforting smells and memories. It's MY space that I enjoy sharing with others and it's the place where everyone knows they can come and feel better...whether it be by filling their tummies or listening as they unload the weights on their hearts.

The kitchen for me, is the central operating zone of my home.

my favorite thing about my kithen?

the love that is made in there; cooking together, doing dishes together, making tea, the laughter, the defeats (many a pancake hit the ceiling), putting groceries away, the sharing, the tears, menu planning, homework. The view from the valley below, the sun glistening on the lake, the reflection of the trees and the old cabins dotted on the lakes shore. The view of a culinary garden bursting with color and flavor waiting to be discovered in some new dish, the moss and lichen making it an intense green always reminding me of north growing on the bark of the tree trunks that create a canapy of shade in the summer. The sun shining in the window making moving shadows across the wall, the rainbow of colors from the crystals the children hung in the window.

The phone call I get from a far away son asking 'do you remember the cookies we made with the colored sugar? can I have the recipe?'.

What is my favorite part of my kitchen?

The parts the children will remember and pass down by deed to their children in their homes.

Darlene your kitchen sounds incredible, but I had to laugh, because the entire working area of my kitchen is about the size of your island LOL. The dining area is a bit bigger. My favorite part of my kitchen- my dishawasher because it has given me back TIME to spend with my kids instead of washing up!

Buttercup what a gorgeous Hoosier cabinet

I think my kitchen dining area says alot about the kind of "gal" I am.. Simple, old fashioned.. In this room is where I spend 20 hours of my day.. The other 4 are in my bedroom.. The only room in the house I care what it really looks like.. The rest is just messy.. No on else really sees it.. But this room is my "safe haven" when it's clean and comfy is what matters, because we can relax and enjoy each other .. I have taught my kids many lessons just sitting around this old table.. I get the most hugs and kisses on the back of my neck from my dh standing at that old stove with my wooden spoon in hand and an old apron thrown over my clothes.. It's in this room that I will soon sit in my rocking chair that sits in front of my fireplace rocking my grandson "Dakota" (ugh c'mon April!). It's in this room where neices and nephews come to Auntie Dawn's because they know she's going to feed them... This room is where our house is "home"... Oh my gosh now I am all happy and tingly inside.. LOL....

This thread makes me happy.. Because it's something I hold close to my heart! Thanks for sharing it with me!

And speaking of Carla Emery.. It's in this room where I last saw her standing in front of my cookstove (wishing she could have one of her own again) embelishing it's warmth!

Check this out! Carla Emery's Book

My kitchen bar is my favorite. It is probably the most "gathered" place in my home. My home is open floor plan, you walk in the front door, and see living room, dining and then the kitchen bar, then the kitchen, then out into the back yard. I have cheap bar stools, but everyone seems to gather there, instead of comfy dining room, clawed feet comfy chairs, or heavily upholstered living room. I always catch myself propped up on the bar, talking to my guest, on the cheap lil barstools..... I always think I will relace those, and get some nice comfy bar stools with backs, but never do........... Someday, maybe....

I'm not really attached to anything in my current kitchen since I am selling the place. I guess my favorite thing that I put in is the extra deep sink that has an extra large basin on one side. I think I would put in the same type in another place. I hope to build a house with a great big kitchen with lots of natural light, lots of counter space, a large gas stove, and a wood cookstove. I picture it with strings of peppers and onions and garlic drying. Fresh cut flowers on the counter. Potted herbs on the windowsill. Handmade pine cabinets. Stone hearth and wall for the woodstove. View of the garden and roses. Plenty of storage for all of my kitchen stuff. Big pantry. Adjacent laundry/sewing room.

Buttercup, Teak is a kind of wood that becomes a deeper color, and more lovely with time. It is used on the decks of expensive yachts because it weathers water very well.

When I lived in Europe, I purchased a Teak wall unit from Denmark and brought it home with me. It has a china cabinet, bar, entertainment center, bank of drawers, and bookshelves. I adore it, and the color just keeps getting darker and richer every year.

I can just imagine how beautiful Teak kitchen cabinets must be.

This is so much fun visiting everyone's kitchens.

My kitchen is absolutely dinky. Very little cupboard space or countertop space. If you opened the oven door you couldn't open the refrigerator very wide. It's just one step from there to the sink. The dining area off of the kitchen is twice as big so I have some glass doored cabinets from office depot in there to hold my pretty dishes and other kitchen things. The things I love the most are the ones with memories. From a dutch oven and wooden bowl and chopper that belonged to a family friend's mother (who died in early 1900s), a couple of pottery mugs shaped like a lion and a goat that my kids used to drink cocoa or herb tea out of, a pretty dish that was a great garage sale find and endless knickknacks. I used to have a wooden stool that our family friend's husband made. When my kids were little I painted it orange and the kids would see who could get to that stool first at meal times. When I did child care in my home those kids also vied for that stool so we had to find a way for them to take turns fairly. Nowadays we sit at my grandmother's oak table. When the kids come to visit I put the leaves in it. The table my aunt gave me that I used for many years until Mom gave me grandma's table, is in the family room waiting for the day when one of the kids will want it.

I have to say another funny thing I like about my kitchen is a door frame where many years ago my youngest son drew a smiley sun face. I won't every refinish or sand that out. It's just part of our living here.

We have that in my MIL's kitchen.. If they ever sell the farm I am going to ask to have that replaced and bring it home here.. It started with my dh and his brother back in the 70's.. Now it includes our kids and soon to be grandkids!

Archived