MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Movie-"Fatal Contact-BF in America"

moonstar

thank you for posting this!!

I saw the commercial for it Saturday night and when I went online later I found NOTHING. I would have thought I imagined it, but I had taped a movie that night. It looks very scary, lots of panic and unrest. I really think this will make somethings VERY hard to find! I'm so thankful we are going to Aldi's this week.

I'm not hoping for a miricle here. Once they say "pandemic could happen now or in 10 years" or it may never happen or they don't know....that will be it. People will sigh with relief and carry on....

Aren't I an optimist!

And no panic buying or even talk around here regarding A/F after the Oprah show. Shrug.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this info on ABC.com

Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America

Tuesday, May 9 at 8/7c

Starring Joely Richardson, Stacy Keach, Ann Cusack, Justina Machado, Scott Cohen and David Ramsey

Informational Announcement

To date, there have been no cases of the H5N1 virus in the United States nor has there been a human transmission of the disease in a form that could fuel a pandemic. However, experts around the world are monitoring the Avian Flu situation closely and are preparing for the possibility that the virus could begin to spread from person to person. For information on the virus log onto pandemicflu.gov.

There are times that test humanity and challenge the soul of a community or a nation. News images and headlines tell stories of rising waters, quaking ground and tragic acts by man himself. But the real story, the human story, is found in the lives changed forever, in the strength of the survivors, and the resilient hope that gives them the courage to recover.

Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America follows an outbreak of an Avian Flu from its origins in a Hong Kong market through its mutation into a virus transmittable from human to human around the world. The meticulously researched film stars Joely Richardson (Nip/Tuck), Stacy Keach (Prison Break, Blackbeard), Ann Cusack (Grey's Anatomy, Ghost Whisperer), Justina Machado (Six Feet Under), Scott Cohen (Street Time, Law & Order: Trial by Jury) and David Ramsey (All of Us).

John M. Barry, Distinguished Visiting Scholar at Tulane University and writer of the New York Times bestseller, The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, served as a consultant on the project. Barry's book, which includes a new afterword on today's Avian Flu, focuses on the 1918 Spanish Flu which killed between 50-100 million people.

[Editors Note: The film deals with the current threat of the Avian Flu virus (H5N1). Scientists continue to debate the degree to which the virus can mutate and be easily passed among human beings.]

The movie opens with an American businessman flying to Hong Kong to meet with his Asian manufacturers. After 11 meetings in three countries in six days, he starts his return to Virginia. But before he returns home, the Chinese government has informed the World Health Organization that a new strain of the Avian Flu virus was discovered in a local marketplace. Over 1.2 million infected birds were killed in an attempt to eradicate this strain. Dr. Iris Varnack (Richardson) of the Epidemic Intelligence Service receives an emergency summons to China, where she discovers these efforts may have come too late. Despite the early warning, the H5N1 virus has mutated into a version that can spread from human to human -- shown in eye-opening detail whenever the microbes start to permeate the atmosphere - across races, nationalities, genders and ages.

The story is seen through the eyes of other key characters, including Collin Reed (Keach), Secretary of Health and Human Services, who is the primary go-between for Dr. Varnack with the state and local leaders back in America; Denise Connelly (Cusack), wife of the American businessman, as she deals with his illness and then helps to support other infected people; Governor Mike Newsome (Cohen) of Virginia, who, upon learning of this deadly virus, puts his city in quarantine and then breaks down the state into communities that can nurture each other; Alma Ansen (Machado), a hospital nurse in New York City who suddenly finds herself in the midst of escalating chaos working at a new and hastily constructed flu facility; and Curtis Ansen (Ramsey), Alma's husband in the National Guard who was brought back to New York.

Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America is executive-produced by Diana Kerew (Surrender Dorothy) and Judith Verno (The Hunt for the BTK Killer) for Sony Pictures Television. The movie was written by Ron McGee (Atomic Twister) and directed by Richard Pearce (Academy Award winner for Hearts and Minds, Peabody Award winner for Nothing Sacred).

Reminder!!!!!! DH and I are planning to watch this tonight.

I am recording it but we've had tornado warnings in our area all evening and the weatherman broke in for about fifteen minutes. I have no idea what I missed. At least it wasn't in the critical part. I'm still watching but so far I think it's very well done, for t.v., anyway.

We too had about a twenty minute interruption for a tornado warning coverage. What I saw of it was nothing more than we all have discussed on here for months.

I did join in the live blog that our local station had. It was headed by an official from the health department near us. She was not very well informed as far as I was concerned. Her closing comment were:

"""Closing comments

By Wendy Trute, MPH--Rock Island County Health Dept.

Clearly, “Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America” is a movie, NOT a documentary. It is a work of fiction made to entertain and not a factual account of a real event.

Important facts to remember:

1. There is no influenza pandemic in the world at this time.

2. There is no known transmission of avian flu from human to human in the 9 years since it has been detected in birds.

3. H5N1 avian influenza is almost exclusively a disease of birds.

4. Should the H5N1 virus appear in the US, it does NOT mean the start of pandemic

Go to http://www.pandemicflu.gov for more information. """

This is one of the questions I asked her and her reply:

"""Mutation of virus

It is unknown at this time if the avain flu virus will mutate, since it has not even been transmitted from human to human yet.

Posted by Wendy Trute, MPH--Rock Island County Health Dept. on 05/09 at 08:26 PM

Isn’t it true that the avian flu has mutated many times already? I understood that there were now four strains of it and vaccines are being formulated for the first two. Viruses mutate yearly, that’s why we need new vaccines often. Even the equestrian flu has become transmissible to dogs. Already there are 24 clusters of human to human transmission of the H5N1 though it has not evolved into a form where sustained transmission is possible yet. Do you have information concerning the number of mutations this flu would have to go through to be sustainable?

Posted by B E on 05/09 at 08:53 PM

I will consult with a virologist in response to your question and concerns.

Posted by Wendy Trute on 05/09 at 08:59 PM

It is true the the virus will most likely mutate, but experts do not know how or when that will happen. The exact number of mutations that would lead to a sustainable virus for human to human transmission is unknown.

Posted by Wendy Trute on 05/09 at 09:12 PM"""

and this is one of our health department workers......

(edited to remove non-professional person's name)

Well, I watched it,, and just as I figured during any such crisis the government screws up.... So, I will prepare as much as I can, and make sure me and my children will be able to care for ourselves and not rely on the government to take care of us.... and will not put me and my children in the position to where we have to go stand in lines for food, go and fight in the stores for food,,, I will not let that happen to me and my kids,, so stepping up the preps...

I did watch the entire movie. It was pretty well done and left the politics out of it for the most part...It stuck mostly to the facts as we now know them. There was no sugar coating and FEMA rescuing everyone...they showed one rush on a grocery store and all the bare shelves...bodies being dumped into a pit via trash trucks...bodies being burned in piles in China...overall it was pretty good until they got close to the end and the lady doc ran to the bathroom and put her hands on her face with her gloves still on after direct contact with someone affected with the BF. The real kicker was the ending...I just hope it will get one person off their behind and start prepping...one or more I should say.

Mother...that is a little scarey that the person from your local health dept. seems more like she is in denial that this will happen from what you posted. I really think we will be on our own when this finally goes h2h. There will be no knight in shining armour.

Q

Archived