MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Snowmom

Well I'm sitting here eating my saltines again LOL.

Just basic housework today. Supposed to be cooler, only 91. We may get some rain, though. The mosquitos are terrible, even out in the middle of the day. We can't go outside much at all, which I hate.

OK, off to get busy.

Rainy day... but I'm very glad the really nasty storms died out before they reached us. Little DD's at a camp with lots of trees, and last year they had a tree crush in the roof of an (thankfully) unused cabin. She's further east of us, so they should've been ok.

Big DD is still in bed, after staying up till midnight talking on the 'puter. Can't figure out where she picked up *THAT* habit!

Good morning

Cat: Sounds like you're having a nice, peaceful morning. It's nice your DH can spend time with his Dad.

Stargazer: I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. I have a cousin whose ex-wife was murdered while their baby was asleep in the crib. I think about the young woman and her baby who is now also a young woman. Tragedies like that just stay. I hope you can find a peace about whether to go or not. Certainly understand why you would be hesitant to go. Will there be a funeral or memorial later on and then everyone will go over to Wyo. again?

Hello everyone! It's early afternoon, not too hot, actually felt a few drops of rain but that's it. There's been a forest fire here for a few weeks. It started on June 23rd but was quite small then, as of today it is at 12,000 acres! There's lots of heat, low humidity and wind keeping it going but the latest report said 5% was contained. We're in no danger except for breathing the smoke. Ashes were raining down a few days ago, a friend called from a town that's 70 miles away to say that when they came out of a staff meeting there were ashes on the cars there

One of the twins has been coughing and having a runny nose ever since the fire got to around 1700 acres. Also, a few nights ago, the smoke coverage over the sun made it appear blood red - eerie! Sorry to ramble but it's been a long time since I've been near a forest that was on fire...

Our friends left yesterday, we had a great time and miss them already! The two oldest boys went to the library's summer reading program party this afternoon. 11yo won a cool shirt and my 5yo won a small skateboard - great, just what we needed.

I've just been playing catch up with little cleaning duties and dh is working on getting his pickup ready for paint, finally. Hope you all have a great rest of the day and a wonderful weekend!

WiccadStargazer! Hugs and prayers for your family! If you decide to come to WY I hope the trip is easy for you. Sorry for your's and your family's loss!

Hello everyone.

(((Star)))

It's gettin hot out there. I've got zuchinni EVERYWHERE! I have 4 plants and enough zuch to feed the neighbourhood. So I made a large pot of spag. sauce and used a bunch of zuch grated and chopped in that along with fresh herbs and onions from the garden. Ahhhhh, reaping the rewards!

I still have 4 zuchinnis sitting on my table and am thinking of freezing them. Can I just grate and freeze, anybody?

Potatoes are blooming pink flowers, very nice.

Have a great day and evening all.

Quote:
I still have 4 zuchinnis sitting on my table and am thinking of freezing them. Can I just grate and freeze, anybody?

I grate and freeze them all the time. I just measure out one cup and two cup servings and mark the bag accordingly. It thaws out well, maybe a little on the liquidy
I'm sorry I'm checking in so late everyone. I had to be at work extra early to help with inventory this morning. It was a very long day today and then the heat hit me in the face when I left work. It is so hot out there today.

I'm sitting here completely drained from my 30 minute drive home. The a/c in the Explorer isn't working well enough to keep up with this heat.

I'm going to have a big glass of ice tea and relax a bit. Hope you all have a great evening.

A quick check-in. I've not looked up all day. Spent the first part of the day in the garden retying the corn. We have to do this every year. It grows so tall the wind and rain knocks it over. We put posts in the ground and run a clothesline and tie the corn to it. This is the second time we've done it this year. It's growed so much since we did it the first time that the heavy rain and wind yesterday still knocked it over and the line broke. In the other garden where we have so much corn we can't do that. It also fell over and hubby, son#3 and I spent yesterday evening shoveling dirt around it and standing it back up. I hate that job!

After the corn was finished today I picked half runners, about 4 gallons. I fixed some for dinner, with a roasted chicken, mashed potatoes with real butter (potatoes from the garden), cornbread, and a peach pie. I ate until I was stuffed! Now I'm busy making more blackberry jelly. Hopefully I'll get 12 more jelly jars before I fall over! Son #3 came over tonight and brought me some of the blackberry cobbler they had made today. It was so good that I've decided to put the rest of my berries in the freezer for cobblers. I think I have enough jelly now.

Star, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. That is a long trip. I don't think I could make a trip like that.

Bookworm, I hope they get the fires put out soon. It couldn't be any fun breathing all that smoke.

I probably won't get much chance other than in the morning and late night tomorrow to check in either. I have the beans broke and ready to be canned.

Everyone take care in this heat!

Kaye

Archived