MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

salsa recipe to can...

lindahoney

The tomatoes are coming in fast and furious here in Ohio. Thus, 'm looking for a good salsa recipe. I tried the one out of my Ball blue canner book a few years ago and it came out with entirely too much vinegar flavor and very little taste. I've looked on the internet and ended up confused. Is it better to can tomatoes, peppers and onions alone and add the garlic/cilantro upon serving? Do the herbs get too strong over time? what's the word on good salsa?

We made 3 batches of salsa last year 2 no heat and 1 mild this is the recipes we used I have gotten a lot of good reviews from family and friends

No Heat Salsa

12 tomatoes

2 large onions

2 green peppers

1 1/2 c. white vinegar

1 T. plus 1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 T. sugar

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. garlic powder

3/4 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/8 tsp. red pepper

Wash, core and peel tomatoes and quarter. Chop everything else and put all in pan and boil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until slightly thickened. Put in jars and process as you would tomatoes.

Spicey Salsa

6 Qt. Chopped Tomatoes (slightly Drained)

5 - 6 Medium Onions (chop in Processor)

6 - 12 Jalapeno Peppers (Chop in Processor) Depends on how hot you want it.

1 head Garlic (Finely Chopped) or Already Minced Garlic

12 Oz. Tomato Paste (this is what thickens it)

10 Medium Bell Peppers (Chop in Processor)

1 - 1-1/2 Tablespoon Salt (Canning Salt is best)

1 Tablespoon Black Pepper

1 - 1-1/2 Cups WHITE Vinegar

2 Pkg. Mrs. Wages Salsa Seasoning or 2 Pkg. Ball Salsa Mix Seasoning.

Mix and bring to boil. Simmer 1 to 2 hours. (Stir once in a while cause it will burn if not simmered very low!)

Fill canning jars and water bath 15 min. in boiling water

Yield 14 or more pints.

(edited only a bit by Cat for clarity)

If you liked the recipe (other than the vinegar taste) then I would suggest using lemon juice or lime juice instead of the vinegar. That is what I did last year with the Ball Blue Book recipes and we just LOVED it!

Here is our family favorite. I've tried others but this one always wins out.

10 cups chopped tomatoes

3 cups chopped green bell peppers (seeds removed)

3 cups chopped red bell peppers (seeds removed)

2 cups chopped onion

1 cup white vinegar

3 tsp. non-iodized salt

Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. At the end of cooking time, add:

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper = mild

2 tablespoon crushed red pepper = medium

3+ tablespoon crushed red pepper = hot

Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Note: My brother chops the ingredients up really fine and doesn't simmer it as long so his salsa is a bit runny and more of a chili sauce. He usually gets 6+ pints from the recipe.

I chop my vegetables coarsely by hand and reduce the salsa by at least a third so that it is really thick so I only get 4 1/2 pints.

I've also only used green peppers (if that's all that was ripe at the time) and sometimes I'll add jalapenos.

If you're using a mix of red and yellow tomatoes, be sure to had a tsp of lemon juice to each pint before canning. (yellow tomatoes are lower in acid)

The recipe also doubles just fine for those of you with ambitious tomato and pepper plants!

Enjoy

Ok - for you who know what the ingredients are - can I have some definitions please?

We (me and My 2 DD's) have worked out that your bell pepper is our capsicum, but to make salsa we need to identify what the crushed red pepper is?

Is it a chilli powder or red peppercorn?

or something different?

Sue

Thanks everyone

Most ingredients I can work out a replacement or equivalent name for. This one got me!

I am going to town for a study group at uni, so I am going to duck into the supermarket and see what I can find. My girls enjoy salsa so hopefully I can make some that they will eat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My salsa has:

tomatoes, peppers (bell), onions, garlic, cilantro.

No vinegar. I add hot peppers (jalepeno, serrano, or habanero) depending on the *heat* that I want, but these are optional, and I do some salsa with none for mild.

Now, I've always water bath canned this-*necie ducks 'fore Darlene SWATS*-but it is a NONONONO-and I PROMISE to pressure can it from now on. Without the vinegar (or lemon juice, etc) this is not acidic enough to WBC.

I don't think that the herbs get too strong, but then again, I love garlic and cilantro.

We also make a fresh salsa-I can pronounce what it's called, but really doubt that I can spell it-pico de guillo??-it is totally different, but wonderful. It is fresh roma tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, and ALOT of cilantro-all chopped fine. Then sometimes we add a little lime juice. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

Archived