MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken Soup - Pressure Canned

Darlene

Cricket ~ I'm sorry I didn't see your post till just now...I'm so glad the soup came out well for you!

Mystic ~ Yes, you could add tomatoes and okra into the jar with the soup. The process time would remain the same. I've never canned okra before, but the usual process time for okra alone is 25 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts....you'll be processing the soup for either 75 minutes in pints or 90 minutes in quarts.

Sometimes when I'm homecanning things in new recipes with unusual ingredients, is do a test batch on them. I process them and let them sit for a couple of months to see how they hold up and effect the overall taste of the product over time. I did that with marinara and eggplant and the eggplant got a little mushy during processing, but more importantly left a less than desireable taste to the marinara after sitting a few months (the jars weren't spoiled, the eggplant just flavored it in a manner I didn't care for).

Anyway, adding okra and tomatoes is definitely safe, so good luck and let us know how it comes out!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the reply Darlene. I was thinking that if I could add chopped tomatoes and okra to the chicken soup, omitting the carrots, then when I heat it up add rice and it would taste similar to Campbells Chicken Gumbo Soup, the kind in the red & white cans, which I really love. I don't have all the ingredients to try this yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it comes out.

• 2 months later...

Darlene, just had to tell you that your chicken soup recipe is a big hit in our family. We have a dear friend going through chemo and I made her the chicken soup. She emailed back to say she ate it for several days, and wants the recipe. When I do it, I make enough to can 9 qts. of broth, 9 qts. of chicken soup, 7 pts. of chicken ala king (using the Ball Blue Book recipe), and also make up some fresh chicken salad. Can you tell we love your recipe? lol Thank you, Darlene

I just finished canning 7 quarts and it is so pretty. But I have a question. My DH kept going on and on about how dangerous pressure canners are and wouldn't let DD in the kitchen because he said it could blow up. How dangerous are they really?

As long as you keep a good eye on your pressure canner and can your stuff at the correct pressure there should be no problem with it blowing up. You can't walk away from it at all, and if your forced to for some reason, then you should turn it off and once you come back, then turn it on and start your timing again once it comes up to pressure, and most presure canner have an area on the guage which lets you know when your getting into danger, in which case you need to turn it off imediately to get the pressure back down so it doens't blow up.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to do another batch preparing. Chicken hind quarters are $.59 lb. this week. I'm hoping to get to the store today after work or tomorrow and stock up and get started.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally bought the chickens and have started canning up another batch of soup today. If you haven't tried it you really should....it's DELICIOUS and my first batch is gone!

Here's the beginning of my new batch. I'll NOT bore everyone with pictures again except for this one to show you how nice it looks!

Oh, Dee! That looks so awesome. I'll be so glad when I get all finished with this move. I've been told that the whole front of my property is nothing but blackberry bushes that will be ready to pick July 4th, so I'm going to be busy making some jam and stuff with that!

I really have missed canning...with selling this house and these knee surgeries, it has really gotten me off track from doing the things I love.

Thanks for the pic!

My saga of the soup is finished! First off I started at 7:00 Sat. morning. By 8:00 Sat. night I had 20 pints done and cooling on the counter I put one of the 20 quart stock pots 3/4 full of broth in the freezer. I never thought it would take 2 days to get this done AND so never considered Sunday being Father's Day and not a day that would work to can.

At 5:30 this morning I dug the stock pot of frozen broth out of the freezer and started thawing it on the stove. Within 2 1/2 hours I had 7 quarts of chicken soup in the pressure canner and letting it build up steam and then cook for 90 mins. While waiting for the pressure to go down I got another 7 quarts ready and put in after removing the first 7. There was enough broth for another 4-5 quarts but I'd had it by then. I took one quart and made chicken and noodles for DH for dinner and the other 3-4 I put in a plastic bag in the freezer to use later.

So, at 1:00 this afternoon all 14 quarts were on the counter sealed and ready to clean up and put away. The kitchen is cleaned AGAIN and after running to town to do some errands I came home and cleaned the jars. They are now ready to put in the pantry for winter BUT they can wait until morning!!!

I learned a few things here.

1. If I'm going to make 2 20 quart stockpots full of chicken and broth I need a 3rd 20 quart stockpot to strain it into. Trying to find enough smaller kettles to hold all the broth and then put in the fridge was a real pain!

2. My kitchen and stove are NOT equipped to handle that much broth at one time.

3. IF I were to ever make that much at a time again I would need two big pressure canners BUT my stove is not big enough to hold both.

4. Plan on doing 1 stockpot full now and another later....it would be so much easier.

5. It was a nice time of year for doing it and getting it out of the way when nothing else is ready to be canned yet.

Now with all that said, I'm very thankful to have 14 quarts and 19 pints (one didn't seal) of chicken soup in the pantry for winter.

Oh wow, that is so kewl Dee! Just reading your posts reminds me of my canning marathons. I have/had the kitchen to do the volumes I have, but my new kitchen is going to eventually hafta be gutted and done right...lol

I can't even really cook dinner yet cause I'm still kinda wiped out from the surgeries, but I am getting a little stronger each day so soon I should be canning SOMEthing!

Good job chica!

Here you go preparing. As you can see I left more fat on than I normally do. I figure I can skim in off when I use it but if the SHTF one of the things needed and hard to come by is fat/grease.

The surgeries are behind you Darlene so you'll be back to normal, whatever that is queen, before you know it. I know you'll be glad to get back to canning. I really enjoyed getting into it with this but am also glad it's done so I can move on to my next project.

It looks so good! When I did up chicken for broth, I did not take the fat off and I used the broth for gravy and I made soup. The picture will give me something to judge by when I do mine. I will be a nervous wreck with this. After all the reading here and all the research, I figure if I follow the directions exactly and they seal then we are safe.

Archived