MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Christmas Candy recipes anyone?

I make this for Christmas. The kids and I call it peanutbutter candy. But my dad said they useta call it potato candy, cause instead of starting with milk, they started with a half a boiled potato.

I put about 4lbs of powdered sugar in a big bowl. Then in a cup or small bowl I put 2 tsp of vanilla and about 4 tbls of milk. I dump that in the middle of the powdered sugar and mix, then add milk slowly till it's all wet, but manageable, like, sugar cookie dough. Then I roll it out on wax paper sprinkled with more powdered sugar till about 1/8 to a 1/4 thick. Spread a layer of peanutbutter on top and roll it up. I use a string to cut into pinwheels. We let them sit out a few hours to harden a bit, but some folks wrap in plastic wrap to keep them soft. YUMM

Five-Minute Fudge Wreaths: Chunky Chocolate Fudge Wreath with

Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray

INGREDIENTS

12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk (save the can)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

8 ounce can walnuts, plus more for topping

1/2 cup raisins or dried currants (a couple of handfuls)

candied red and green cherries to decorate top (like holly)

softened butter to grease an 8 inch round cake pan

Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with softened butter. Pour the chocolate and butterscotch chips, condensed milk and vanilla into a medium saucepan. Put the pan on the stove and turn the heat to low.

Cover the empty condensed milk can with plastic wrap and put it in the center of the round cake pan.

Stir the chips and milk until they melt together, about 3 minutes. Stir in nuts and raisins. Scoop the fudge into the cake pan all around the plastic-covered can in the center to form a wreath or ring shape. Let it be all bumpy on top. Keep pushing the can back to the center if the fudge moves it away from there. Cut the red cherries in half with scissors and the green cherries into quarters. Use the green pieces to make leaves and the red to make holly berries. Decorate the fudge with several groups of holly berry sprigs made from the cherries and garnish with walnuts between the sprigs.

Put the fudge in the fridge and chill until firm. Remove the can from the center, then loosen the sides and bottom of the fudge with a spatula. Cut the fudge into thin slices to serve.

To give the wreath as a gift-wrap in cellophane and secure with a bow or ornament.

Variations:

White Chocolate Wreath with Pistachio

and Cranberry

Substitute the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips, 1 1/2 ounce bag plus 1 cup.

Substitute 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shelled natural pistachio nuts for walnuts.

Substitute 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries for currants.

Goober and Raisinette Wreath

Swap butterscotch for peanut butter chips

Swap large whole peanuts for walnuts used in original recipe (such as peeled Virginia Peanuts)

Swap 1/2 cup large raisins for currants in original recipe

Candy

Centers…

1 box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cube unsalted butter (room temp)

1 teaspoon flavoring (milk, cream de menthe, cream de chocolate, baileys, burbon, rum or any other flavoring)

dash salt

food coloring to color

mix and roll into balls about the size of a walnut. stick toothpicks in each one and place on waxed cookie sheet and placed in freezer or refrigerator to harden.

Dipping chocolate...

unsweetened chocolate 1 block (I prefer milk chocolate) to ¼ square of parafin (this is not an exact amount…but ball park) add parafin a wee bit at a time, when the chocolate starts to get shiny it is enough. it keeps the chocolate from melting.

dip each ball and place back onto waxed paper. place in refrigerator to set chocolate. these keep nicely for months in refrigerator or freezer and a month (if they last that long) in a candy dish.

you can decorate with sprinkles, press the centers into a mold or ??? your imagination is your only limitation.

These were passed on to me this year. They seem quick so I may try some of them tomorrow. If you get a chance to try them first make sure you let me know how they turn out

Easy or Microwave-Easy Holiday Candy Recipes

Holiday hard Candy

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/2 teaspoon flavoring*

food coloring

*flavoring may include lemon, vanilla, cherry, almond, peppermint or other extract.

Thoroughly mix sugar and light corn syrup in glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Quickly stir the sugar mixture and then cover with a NEW sheet of plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. After boiling has ceased, stir in coloring and flavoring. Pour syrup quickly, onto wax paper covered cookie sheet or into non-stick sprayed molds. Cool completely before breaking into pieces. Store in airtight container between sheets of waxed paper.

**Variation: once breaking the pieces, use in making “stained glass” sugar cookies. Roll sugar cookie dough into ¼” snakes and make an outline with them, filling the open spaces with pieces of hard candy. Bake as usual until cookies are just turning golden on edges and candy pieces are melted. (10-12 minutes depending upon your oven) Let cool before trying to remove them from the cookie sheet.

Butter Toffee

1 1/3 cup sugar

1 cup softened butter

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon dark corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2/3 cups chopped walnuts

In a large microwave safe bowl, mix sugar, butter, water and corn syrup. Microwave on high 4 minutes. Stirring every 2 minutes, heat 6-8 minutes longer until thickened and gold in color. Add vanilla; stir well. Pour mixture into 9x13 dish. Spread chocolate chips over hot toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool completely. Break into pieces.

2-Minute Fudge

1/2 cup butter

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

1/4 cup milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Place ingredients (except nuts) in bowl; do not mix. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Fold in nuts. Pour mixture into buttered 8x8 dish. Refrigerate 15-20 minutes until set.

Peanut Butter Fudge

12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips

12 oz. peanut butter

14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

In a 1-1/2 quart microwave-proof bowl, melt chocolate and peanut butter on high power for 3 minutes. Stir well. Add milk and stir until well blended. Pour mixture into 8x8 dish lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate to chill.

Makes approximately 42 pieces.

Ritz Cracker Candy

1/2 cup marshmallow cream

1/2 cup peanut butter

48 Ritz Crackers

1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted

1 cup flaked coconut or chopped nuts

Spread about 1 teaspoon peanut butter on 24 of the Ritz crackers. Spread 1 teaspoon Marshmallow Creme on remaining crackers. Sandwich crackers together, using one peanut butter and one marshmallow, then dip in melted chocolate or white chocolate (almond bark), and roll in coconut or finely chopped nuts to coat.

Set crackers on waxed paper and let stand until chocolate sets. Store in air-tight container for up to one week. Makes 24

Saltwater Taffy Recipe

2 C. sugar

1 C. light corn syrup

2 T. butter or margarine

1/4 t. oil of peppermint (or other flavoring)

7 drops of food coloring (optional coloring to match flavoring)

1 C. water

1 1/2 t. salt

Butter the sides of a 2-quart saucepan and add sugar, corn syrup, 1-cup water and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking to 275° F, without stirring. The mixture should boil gently. Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine. Add flavoring and food coloring. Pour into a buttered cake pan and cool about 30 minutes, until you can handle it easily. Butter hands and pull candy until it becomes difficult to pull. Cut into four pieces and pull each piece into a long strand about 1/2 inch thick. With buttered scissors, snip bite-sized pieces and wrap with candy wrapping.

Recipe makes about 1 1/2 pounds of candy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Phatkat1956:

My mil got this recipe from someone on her CB radio:

Fudge

1 Tub Frosting - Vanilla or Chocolate

1 Small Jar Cheap Peanut Butter

Melt both the frosting and peanut butter in a microwave. Mix together and pour into a buttered 8" square pan. Refrigerate. Cut and Serve.

I prefer my fudge a little creamier so I add about a heaping tablespoon of marshmallow creme. Not too much, just enough to make it creamy. Tastes like you worked for hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Safetylady:

My recipe is easy also

1 can Eagle brand condensed milk

1 pkg chocolate chips (may use any type chips peanut butter, chocolate, deep chocolate, milk chocolate)

Place chips in microwave bowel, add milk, nuke until melted. Stir and place in buttered 8x8 pan.

May add nuts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From DomesticGoddess:

Ladies, here's another quick, delish fudge recipe,

which I hope you will try as well.

Easy Chocolate Fudge

( Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: About 10 minutes )

1-( 12 ounce ) pkg. real semi-sweet chocolate chips

1-( 14 oz. ) can sweetened condensed milk ( not evaporated milk )

1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In top of double boiler, stir chips and milk together until smooth.

Remove from heat, and stir in walnuts and vanilla; blend well.

Pour into a buttered 8" square pan; chill until firm.

Yield: 9-12 pieces.

Note: This is an excellant homemade fudge recipe, but I

used 2-( 12 oz. ) pkgs. of real semi-sweet chocolate chips,

2-( 14 oz. ) cans sweetened condensed milk,

1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

I poured this into a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Yield: 3 1/2 lbs. ( or ) 48-( 1 1/4-inch ) pieces each.

This was so quick and easy to make.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Hillbillee:

~~~Copied~~~

Candy Making Basics

Making candy at home can be a special event -- invite friends and family for a taffy pull or to make popcorn balls. It's also satisfying to personalize candy we take for granted. Making your own gumdrops, lollipops, fudges, truffles or taffy can lead to wonderful flavor combinations that are

better than "store bought".

- Always use the recommended size saucepan. A smaller or larger pan could affect quality and cooking time. If a size is not stated, size is not important.

- Don't double the recipe -- make another batch. Increasing ingredients changes cooking time.

- A cool, dry day is best for making candy. Heat, humidity and altitude can affect quality. On a humid day, cook candy to a temperature a degree or so higher than the recipe indicates.

- Consult an altitude table to determine boiling point in your area, then adjust recipe if necessary.

- To prevent crystallization or grainy candy, sugar must dissolve completely over low heat; stir down any grains from side of saucepan. After candy has boiled, do not stir until it has cooled as the recipe indicates. To prevent crystals, do not scrape pan or stir candy during cooling.

- Use a reliable candy thermometer. check your candy thermometer for accuracy by placing it in water and bring it to boiling. The thermometer should read 212*F /100*C If the reading is higher or lower, take the difference into account when testing your temperature while making candy.

- To get an accurate reading, be sure the thermometer stands upright in cooking mixture and bulb does not rest on bottom of pan. Read it at eye level; watch temperature closely. After 200*F (95*C), temperatures go up very quickly.

- If you don't have a thermometer, use the cold-water test. Using a clean spoon, drop small amount of cooking mixture into a cupful of very cold water. Test hardness with fingers (see candy cooking test chart). If candy does not pass test, continue cooking. Repeat water test with clean water.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Buttercup:

I make turtles too only I do it real lazy like...

Store bought caramels

Pecans

Hersheys Kisses

Put the caramels on a oiled cookie sheet in the oven for a few minutes.. Then the kisses - as they get warm, place a pecan on top and press it into the chocolate.. Your done!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And finally, mine:

These are all candies I've made myself, except for the Rum Balls. I find them too strong, and my family doesn't like them. I've thought about trying some Marascino Cherry juice instead of the rum, or something else. (IDEAS, anyone???)

The Chocolate-covered Cherries need at least a week to "mellow", so think ahead.

CREAM CHEESE MINTS

3 oz. cream cheese, room temp.

2 1/2 c. powdered sugar

4-6 drops flavoring oil (lemon, orange, strawberry, wintergreen, peppermint, whatever you like!)

4-6 drops food coloring

granulated sugar (optional for molds)

Mix together well, may use hands as it gets more difficult (color may stain hands!).

Roll onto balls sized to fill candy molds, roll in granulated sugar, and press into mold to shape. Turn out onto waxed paper till dry; refrigerate.

OR: (what I do)

Roll into ropes about 1/2 wide, cut with knife or scissors into small "pillows". Let dry on waxed paper- covered cookie sheets until dry (about 24 hrs), stirring occasionally. Refrigerate in baggies until needed.

I use "Lorann" oils, found in candy/cake decorating area of stores like Wal-Mart. { http://www.lorannoils.com/index.html } I suppose regular flavorings could be used. To measure drops, use a drinking straw, dipping it in & releasing liquid by drops.

CHOCOLATE-COVERED CHERRIES

(Allow plenty of time to make fondant & wrap cherries. Easier to wrap if fondant is freshly made.)

4 16-oz.jars maraschino cherries WITH stems (I buy the large jar at Sam's Club, about $6.50 this year. Makes one recipe, usually, or close.)

(optional...) 1/4 c. dark rum or maraschino liqueur.

IF you want the flavor: Remove 1 Tbsp. liquid from each jar of cherries, add 1 Tbsp. rum or liqueur to jar & let stand 4 hours with lid on at room temp. (Lg. jar, take out 1/4 c., add 1/4 c.)

Fondant recipe:

1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (Eagle Brand or equivalent)

2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp. almond extract

2 lbs. (8 c.) powdered sugar

1 1/2 lbs. coating chocolate [My aunt successfully uses milk chocolate chips with a piece of paraffin. Melt a quarter-piece of paraffin (about 1'x 2 1/2"), then stir in and melt 1 bag chips]

Drain cherries, let dry on paper towels.

Make fondant... Mix milk, syrup, & extract in lg. bowl. Stir sugar in gradually, until well blended.

Line cookie sheets with waxed paper. Using a teaspoon of fondant, press with your fingers into about a 2" circle. Wrap each cherry with stem up, rolling each slightly in palms to make round. Place on cookie sheet, not touching each other. When full, freeze cherries until firm.

When solid, use the stem to dip each cherry in warmed chocolate. (This is a time-consuming process. I usually do it the next day.) Replace on cookie sheet, sides NOT touching. Refrigerate until "set". The freezing may make them "sweat"; don't worry about it.

After all are "set", cover sheet loosely with pillowcase or lint-free towel, let sit OUT OF SIGHT( !!!) at room temperature for one week to turn insides to liquid, then refrigerate to store. IF they last that long...

A useable chocolate for dipping:

paraffin (look in canning supplies)

semi-sweet chocolate chips

milk chocolate chips

Carefully melt a 4"x4" square of paraffin (1/2 stick). When melted, stir in 2 c. of both chips. Be very careful so it doesn't scorch (a double boiler is helpful)

Keep warm while dipping. I have been told that a bit of oil may be mixed in if dipping eventually thickens the chocolate, but I usually have no problem with it.

EASY TURTLES

pecan halves

store-bought caramels

dipping chocolate (or chips & paraffin... see above)

Arrange 5 pecan halves on buttered waxed paper, in a turtle shape... four legs and a head. (You can break them in half for baby turtles)

Melt caramels in microwave, stirring often. Drop carefully on top of pecans by the spoonful, forming the "shell". Chill in refrigerator.

Either drizzle chocolate over each turtle, or remove and dip each one in melted chocolate.

For "super-easy" ones, with no real turtle shape, just sprinkle the nuts in an even layer on the buttered waxed paper, pour caramel over, then when well chilled, pour melted chocolate over all. Cut into squares.

NO-COOK PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

3/4 c. peanut butter

1/2 c. margarine, room temp.

1/2 c. light corn syrup

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. salt

4 c. powdered sugar

Mix thoroughly, pour into greased pan, keep refrigerated unless serving soon. These get oily if set out too long.

PEANUT BUTTER CUPS

2 c. peanut butter

1 stick margarine (1/2 c.), room temp.

(optional... 1/2 tsp. vanilla)

1 lb. powdered sugar (about 2 1/2 - 4 c.)

dipping chocolate

Cream together peanut butter and margarine (and vanilla if wanted). Mix in sugar. Form into small balls, press flat. Chill or freeze. Dip in melted chocolate.

BUCKEYES

1/2 c. butter, room temp.

1 28-oz. jar peanut butter

4 c. powdered sugar

3 c. rice crispies cereal

Mix butter and peanut butter, stir in powdered sugar and crispies. Form into 1-inch balls and refrigerate or freeze until firm. Dip in melted chocolate, leaving an "eye" to make it look like the "buckeye" nut it's named for. Or just dip completely.

DATE BALLS

1/3 c butter or margarine

1/2 c sugar

1/2 lb (2-3 c) dates, chopped

2 c Rice Crispies

1/2 c coconut or chopped nuts

Heat butter, sugar & dates until soft, stir in Rice Crispies and coconut or nuts. Let cool and roll into balls. Roll in powdered sugar, coconut, or nuts.

MARSHMALLOW CRÈME FUDGE

1 jar (5-10 oz) marshmallow crème

1 1/2 c sugar

2/3 c evaporated milk

1/4 c margarine

1/4 tsp salt

2 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)

In large saucepan, combine crème, sugar, milk, margarine, and salt. Bring to full boil, stirring constantly over moderate heat. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts, pour into greased or foil-lined 8” square pan. Chill until firm.

BRIGADEIROS (Brazilian candy)

1 Tbsp butter or margarine

1 14-oz cab sweetened condensed milk (1 1/3 c)

2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

In saucepan, combine ingredients. Cook & stir over med. heat with wooden spoon until mixture pulls away from sides of pan, about 5 minutes. Turn onto buttered plate to cool. With buttered hands, shape into balls of about 2 tsp each. Roll in chocolate sprinkles. Chill. Store in refrigerator, but best served at room temp.

RUM BALLS

1 12-oz box vanilla wafers, crushed

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1/4 c rum

OPTIONAL:

1 c chopped walnuts

3 1/2 oz coconut

Mix well and chill at least 4 hours. Make into balls; roll in powdered sugar, nuts, or coconut.

ENJOY!!!

Lilly watched Oprah too.

I have problems with cooking candy, frosting and such, but this turns out most of the time for me. But, you need to know your micro wave, as some are hotter than others, I only cook mine 4 and then 3 minutes instead of 4 and 4 minutes. I have cooked it only 3 and 3 also. So, you will have to experiment with your micro wave.

Almond Roca

2-1/4 cups sugar

1/ 2 cup water

1-1/4 cups butter (not marg.) 2-1/2 cubes

1 teaspoon salt

1-1/4 cups chopped almonds

1 cup finely chipped walnuts

1 large bar milk chocolate grated (to be added to the finished product, do not mix with above items)

-Put in deep pan and stir constantly

-When boiling add 1/ 2 the almonds.

-Boil to 275 degrees or soft crack stage.

-Remove from heat and add the rest of the almonds and 1/ 2 the walnuts, leaving 1/ 2 the walnuts to put on top.

-Pour into 9x13 dish. Spread the chocolate evenly on top and add the walnuts.

-Let cool and cut into squares before completely getting hard or it breaks.

Wow Shawna - those oreo cookies sound delicious! Wish I had read this post yesterday before I went shopping - who knows, maybe we'll have to make another trip to the store!

That is a beautiful table and coaster Snowmom - that fudge looks just wonderful too

Archived