MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Migraines

Jewlzm

Ok ladies and gents. I have been having really bad headaches and migraines for the last 3-4 weeks. They go away for only a day and then POW I wake up with one the very next morning. Ive been drinking water. Im tired of taking pills( I really dont want to mess up my system with them) I know almonds are supposed to help. Is there anything else I can try?

They have been really getting to the point that Im sick to my stomach half the time and I wear sunglasses in the house. I have a field trip to take my kids to on Friday and I dont want to cancel since they have been looking forward to this for over a month. I would appreciate any imput

I know you said you didn't want to take pills, but that is what our doctor recommended for my son's migraines. The good news is they weren't prescription. They were melatonin, taken at bedtime (300 mcg). Since he started taking them, nearly a year ago, he hasn't had a migraine. He only took them for about a month and a half, which, apparently, was enough to normalize his blood vessels.

BTW, since these make you sleepy, it isn't a good idea to take them during the day - just one about an hour before bed.

Have you looked for a trigger for them? If you've been having them more the last three or four weeks perhaps it's something you are eating or coming in contact with. Aged cheese, mushrooms, chocolate, colas and etc are just some of the few food trigger. Molds are a prime trigger for many migraines.

Fenugreek often will help migraines but takes a while to work. The melatonin suggestion is a great one and has helped a lot of people. One suggestion though, if it doesn't at first seem to work, try taking LESS. Believe it or not, in the case of melatonin less is sometimes better. Ginger tea will often relieve the nausea that accompanies them but some people have strange dreams if it's taken at nigh. Valarian might work at night if the melatonin doesn't.

Relaxation, meditation and visualiazion all can help a migraine if they are stress induced or connected.

I feel for you as I am an occassional victim of migraines also. Mine are usually allergy induced and are often accompanied by dizziness for days at a time. Cheese seems to be one of the culprits. Unfortunately, another allergen is often a nearby factory emmiting toxins.

I also had great success years ago taking feverfew. I took it for I think three months straight and didn't have a migraine for YEARS. Now, I get one quarterly (but don't get them when pregnant, which is odd). I figure it's about time to repeat the feverfew regimin, when I get the next baby weaned.

Mo7

Thank you ladies. I will definately put them on my list of "things to try" I have been having migraines since I was about 12 years old. Its hereditary.. my mother and father both had them. No triggers can be found though. Im just tired of the motrin and tylenol and codeine and vicoden because they dont work anyways.. vicoden just makes me happy to have a headache. I didnt really have them last year at all.. but they are back in full force. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I have been trying melatonin for the last week and guess what? I can function again!!! Sometimes I will get a dull ache but for the most part they have completely deminished in size And I have been sleeping better not being woke up with sharp pains in my head. Thought I would let you know (((Everyone)))

I too suffer from migraines or cluster headaches I have heard them called. One of my triggers is anything with MSG. If I consume something with MSG in it within an hour I have a full blown migraine. I usually get nauseous and throw up from them. One therapy that helps me is when my husband is home and has time he will massage my head until the blinding pain eases. I have taken excedrine migraine but it doesnt do much unless I catch it right before the pain gets too bad to bear. I havent tried the other remedies you ladies have suggested so I am adding them to my list as well. Thank you!

SelahMoon

I've heard that Gatorade should help, never tried it as I don't have migraines, but thought I would add that to the list. I guess you are to drink a couple glasses of it a day. Hope you find something that will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have found out what has been causing this bout of headaches. I havent had a single headache in the last week. My neighbor suggested we go out and get a carbon monoxide tester. The same day we got it is the day we ran out of fuel oil. And such a coincidence I dont have headaches.

jewlzm, for 3 days, this past week, I had a horrible headache. It made me sick to my stomach and I could barely function.

On the third day, my son said, "The vent smells funny." So he went and checked the propane. It was down to 1%! I called and had them come out to fill it. Voila! Headache gone!

They put a rank-smelling chemical in propane, so you can smell it if there is a leak. It doesn't have any smell otherwise. The chemical is slightly heavier than the propane, so it concentrates near the bottom of the tank. I'm almost positive that is what was giving me my headache and it sounds like it was giving you yours, too.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Jewlzm, please get your furnace checked as soon as possible. Carbon monoxide does give people headaches and it can be deadly. I do home inspections and have the equipment to check for carbon monoxide. You would be surprised how much some units put out. I get migraines and check my unit all the time even tho it is 2 years old.

John

Hi Jewlzm!

I hope your headaches have stayed away. I get them, as well as five of the chicks. My daughter and I take Imetrex and it works within mins. Mine were so severe, my high risk OB, put me on it when I was PG. My son takes Topomax daily for chronic migraines. He has an underlying headache all the time, which peaks into severe migraines. His is caused by a post strep syndrome. He takes Axert during a migraine. It is similar to Imetrex, but works slightly differently.

My little chicks take Melatonin to help with severe sleep problems. The pediatrician said that adults have to keep an eye on their blood pressure, when taking it, since it can cause very high blood pressure. Whatever works for you, take it as soon as you get a headache. Our docs. say...Don't wait to see what kind of headache it will be...Treat quickly and the treatment will be more positive. Good luck...Hope you stay well!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had migraines for years. Mine were caused from stress and/or allergies. I would take 800 mg of Advil and take a motion sickness pill. This seemed to help me the most. One was so bad and lasted for so long that the doctor's office called and said if I wasn't better by the afternoon to go to the hospital. Luckily it got better. I go to bed, turn a fan on me, shut the blinds and curtains and go to bed. I get so sick to my stomach, that I can't keep anything down to a certain point. I have thrown up the pills I've taken. I just have to take more. I will try some of your remedies here. Well, except for the head massage. I don't want anyone talking to me or even in the same room with me. =)

Archived