MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Iced Tea

I do not drink coffee. No one in this house drinks coffee. I have a coffee maker, but it has never seen coffee.

I put either a "family size" tea bag OR 3 regular tea bags where you would ordinarily put the filter and coffee grounds. Pour in the water and hit go.

That's how I drink hot tea all day. To make iced, simply pour into a pitcher and refrigerate.

If you try this and your coffee maker has EVER been used for coffee, your tea will taste like coffee.

First - we like our tea, like our coffee, strong so with that in mind, Sun Tea, I use a gallon jar, 13 tea bags (I prefer Red Rose tea...) and sit out in sun. In the summer when my Mint is going crazy I add about six eight inch stalks of washed Mint - delicious and SO EASY! It stays nice and clear as well. You can also just let the jar sit on your kitchen counter for the same results, just takes a bit longer.

I make it by the gallon! Boil 2 quarts of water. Drop in 12 tea bags and let steep off the heat for 10 minutes. Put 2 quarys water in a gal pitcher and 1/4 cup lemon juice if desired. Take out tea bags and stir 1 1/2 c. sugar into hot tea. Pour into pitcher and stir. Chill overnight.

Don't toss the tea maker - You may need hot water and that will work in a short hurry. Plus it stays hot if need be on the burner base.

Edit: OOPS you can tell I was thinking of the coffee maker only used for tea making NOT the tea maker. I have an extra new coffee maker and was thinking of taking it out for tea only. Hence my post. I think the real tea makers don't have a burner base, just the tall pitcher. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking about buying a tea maker this summer, but now I won't.

BTW, we have made "sun tea" in the house in a large pitcher. Works well if you steep about 5 hours then remove the tea bags -- when we left it longer, it was too bitter for us. I used 4 bags, cold water.

I use family sized tea bags.. I put some about 5 cups of water in a pan on the stove.. Once it starts boiling I turn it off and add 2 tea bags.. And let it steep for about 15 minutes or longer.. I put it in a gallon pitcher with a heaping cup of sugar then finish filling the pitcher with cold water..

I fill a 1/2 gallon pitcher 1/2 full with boiling water, add two or 3 Red Rose tea bags and 1/2 cup sugar. Let sit for about an hour. Remove tea bags, squish dry and fill remaining way with cold water. Serve from icebox with a little lemon juice, no ice.

I'm with Buttercup. I'm a Sweet Tea girl. But I only boil about two cups of water, 3 family size tea bags, let steep about five minutes, dump in gallon pitcher, add about 3/4 cup of sugar to the hot and stir. Then add cold water. Need lots of ice. Yummm.

Quote:
Don't toss the tea maker - You may need hot water and that will work in a short hurry. Plus it stays hot if need be on the burner base.
Edit: OOPS you can tell I was thinking of the coffee maker only used for tea making NOT the tea maker. I have an extra new coffee maker and was thinking of taking it out for tea only. Hence my post. I think the real tea makers don't have a burner base, just the tall pitcher. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking about buying a tea maker this summer, but now I won't.

Mom's Mr. Iced Tea heats the water up to steaming. I've given myself a few mild burns from that. They keep insisting I should make iced tea when I detest the stuff.

cg, you should try canadian iced tea. it tastes nothing like tea. lol it is very sweet.

You should try tea from Alabama! It is soooooo good!

Whenever we go or my in-laws go we always bring home

plenty!

It's made from the same kinds of tea leaves but they

must be getting it from a good patch!

I'd like to try some from Canada. Someone send me some!

grubby, i will send you some, just pm me the addy. but you should know, that canadian iced tea has no actual tea in it. its mostly just flavoured sugar powder. i love it!

Quote:
cg, you should try canadian iced tea. it tastes nothing like tea. lol it is very sweet.

My family only drinks sweet iced tea. I'm not big on drinks that are terribly sugary...I think that's why I don't like it. I love hot tea though!

I make my tea in the coffee pot! Doesn't taste like coffee to me.

It takes 2 pots to make a gallon. I use 4 bags of Lipton (regular size) per pot.

Pour it all in a glass, gallon jar and refrigerate.

I drink it unsweetened.

Archived