MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

NEWBIE to canning

stacey

Okay, so I've decided I'm gonna try to can some meat. My mom has a pressure canner and is going to loan it to me. I have jars and lids and meat. (I have done canning before, but just jelly...)

Anything I need to know? I'm a bit nervous about this, because I don't want to poison my family, but I feel like I have to give this a try...

Hi Stacey, and *CONGRATULATIONS*!!!

I went back into the old posts and tried to "bump up" a few that might help. Go ahead and read them and post any questions you have, and we'll answer.

The one called "Canning Meats" was one I wrote, and it should be helpful, but then it kinda got a *little* sidetracked in places... hosed.gif

roflroflrofl

Hi Stacey and welcome5

Don't fret about canning meat....do some reading here in the posts that were bumped up (the meat canning posts) and just go for it! I never canned meat until a year or so ago, and let me tell ya, you're gonna LOVE having canned meat! Those nights you have to *throw* something together for dinner....the canned meat is a godsend :banana2: I do always cook whatever meat I open for about 10 minutes, although I was told here that if the meat you canned is bad you will definitely be able to tell when you open your jar sick

Good luck!!!!! Welcome to Mrs. S! I hope you'll love it here as much as I do! There's so much info on this site it's crazy! loveplace Post about and let us know how it went!

star

Shawna

Quote:
although I was told here that if the meat you canned is bad you will definitely be able to tell when you open your jar

Officer Safety here. That is NOT true. The big risk with home canned foods is botulism. It is odorless, tasteless and invisible. The USDA recommendation is that you boil the food for 15 minutes, in a pan, after opening the jar & before tasting even a single morsel.
Originally Posted By: HSmom
Quote:
although I was told here that if the meat you canned is bad you will definitely be able to tell when you open your jar

Officer Safety here. That is NOT true. The big risk with home canned foods is botulism. It is odorless, tasteless and invisible. The USDA recommendation is that you boil the food for 15 minutes, in a pan, after opening the jar & before tasting even a single morsel.

Oh ITA...I didn't mean to steer anyone from boiling their meat! Sorry if it came off that way oops I have always read 10 minutes for boiling....I'll do the 15 from now on!

Sorry if that sounded like you didn't have to boil!! Thanks for the reminder so as to clear that up flowersmilie

thanks
Shawna
Originally Posted By: preparing
Officer Safety, I did read that information and thank you for posting this. Do they say that boiling for 15 minutes FOR SURE kills the botulism if it happened to be in there???

That's why you do boil....if there are botulism toxins, the boiling will kill them. I did do a check up on the times and read 10-20 minutes at a ROLLING boil.

HTH!! bouquet
Shawna

The problem with botulism isn't the organism (bacterium) itself, but it's toxins are, well: toxic. High heat breaks down the toxins into harmless compounds.

No sweat Shawna, but some of these issues could be a matter of life or death, so I get a little excited about making SURE we're safe.

I'm surprized to hear that the boiling time is a range. How do you know if you should boil 20 minutes, rather than 10?

I used to make kombacha tea and at first worried we would die. Drank raw milk for years and at first thought we would die.

Made Keifer and thought we would die.

Used starters for bread and thought we would die.

Read about people who canned food and died, so worried about it, but I think I am getting brave enough and ready to start. I used to be worried about the lid blowing off, but I am way past that now nail

Preparing...don't take this wrong but I had to chuckle at your post. I'VE never feared poisoning my family. However, in the early years, every time I opened a canning jar my DH would start the dinner prayer with "Dear Lord, for those of us about to die...". hit

Archived