MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

rhubarb?

a friend of ours gave us some rhubarb and i was wondering if any one has any good recipes for it and how to make it thanks for all you help and would greatly appreciate it.

cook it with a little water and lot of sugar, then make a crumble for the top and pop it in the oven. Serve with custard or ice cream

Well - it is not that popular, the usual people who grow it, have a background from a colder climate! I have nurtured some plants and have about 5 plants that have survived summer. My girls dont eat it, and DH usually makes some grandiose statement about letting me enjoy it ... so it is not a favourite of his. But his Dad and I would enjoy it with some tapioca!

http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/publications/f...s/FNH-00064.pdf

here is a few recipes from the above link

FourWays with Rhubarb Sauce

Rhubarb Pudding

1 qt rhubarb 1 L

1/2 C water 120 mL

1/2 C flour 120 mL

or 1/4 C cornstarch (60 mL)

1/3 C sugar 80 mL

Stew the rhubarb and water for 5 minutes. Strain this mixture. Mix together the flour or cornstarch and sugar and add to the stewed rhubarb. Cook until thick and clear. Pour into pudding dishes. Sprinkle with sugar to keep the surface moist and free from skin. Chill and serve with cream.

Baked Rhubarb

1 qt cut up rhubarb 1 L

1 C sugar 240 mL

Place rhubarb and sugar in layers in baking dish. Cover and bake slowly for 40 minutes. The flavor can be varied by using grated orange rind or spices such as mace, nutmeg or cinnamon.

Saucepan Rhubarb I

1/2 C water 120 mL

1 qt cut up rhubarb 1 L

pinch salt (if desired)

1 C sugar 240 mL

Combine the rhubarb and sugar. Heat slowly until the sugar melts. Simmer 5 minutes or until tender Yields about 21/4 cups (540 mL).

Saucepan Rhubarb II

1/2 C water 120 mL

1 qt cut up rhubarb 1 L

pinch salt (if desired)

1 C sugar 240 mL

Add water to rhubarb. Add the salt. Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat and add sugar.

For variety add 3/4 cup (180 mL) raisins to cut up rhubarb in either of the above recipes. Extra sweet rhubarb sauce is a good topping for ice cream.

A Bo Nt=teaspoon pt=pint oz=ounce mg=milligram mL=millilter mm=millimeter T=tablespoon qt=quart lb=pound g=gram L=liter cm=centimeter C=cup gal=gallon F=Fahrenheit k=kilogram c=Celsius m=meter

Rhubarb Desserts

Rhubarb Crisp

4 C cut up rhubarb 1 L

1 t cinnamon 5 mL

1/2 t salt (if desired) 2 mL

1/3 C butter 80 mL

11/2 C sugar 360 mL

2/3 C flour 160 mL

Place the cut up rhubarb in a shallow 6 inch by 10 inch (15 cm x 25 cm) pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt. Melt the butter over low heat and add the sugar and flour until the mixture is like the consistency of cornmeal; pat over the rhubarb. Bake uncovered in 350°F (175°C) oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the rhubarb is frozen, increase the baking time by about 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.

Rhubarb Crunch

1 C sifted flour 240 mL

3/4 C uncooked oatmeal 180 mL

1 C brown sugar, firmly packed 240 mL

1/2 C melted butter 120 mL

1 t cinnamon 5 mL

4 C diced rhubarb 1 L

1 C sugar 240 mL

2 T cornstarch 30 mL

1 C water 240 mL

1 t vanilla 5 mL

Mix the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, butter and cin-namon until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a 9 inch by 9 inch (23 cm by 23 cm) square pan. Cover the crumb mixture with the diced rhubarb. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla; cook until thick and clear. Pour over rhubarb. Top with remaining crumbs and bake in a moderate oven at 350°F (177°C) for 45 to 60 minutes. Serves warm as is or top with whipped cream.

Rhubarb Sauce Cake

1 C sugar 240 mL

(Use only 3/4 cup (180 mL) if rhubarb sauce is

sweetened)

1/2 C shortening 120 mL

1 egg 1

2 C rhubarb sauce 480 mL

1 t vanilla 5 mL

2 C flour 480 mL

1 t soda 5 mL

1 t cinnamon 5 mL

1/2 t nutmeg 2 mL

1/2 t cloves 2 mL

1/4 t salt (if desired) 1 mL

1 C raisins or currants 240 mL

1/3 C chopped nuts 80 mL

Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add the egg, rhubarb sauce and vanilla. Sift together the flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the raisins or currants and chopped nuts. Bake in a 9 inch by 13 inch (23 cm by 33 cm) pan at 325°F (163°C) for 35 to 40 minutes.

Rhubarb Cake I

1/2 C shortening 120 mL

1 C brown sugar 240 mL

1/2 C sugar 120 mL

1 egg 1

2 C sifted flour 480 mL

1 t soda 5 mL

1/2 t salt (if desired) 2 mL

1 C buttermilk 240 mL

11/2 C chopped rhubarb 360 mL

1 t vanilla 5 mL

1/2 C white sugar 120 mL

1 t cinnamon 5 mL

1/2 C chopped nuts 120 mL

Cream together the shortening, brown sugar, 1/2 cup (120 mL) sugar and egg. Add the sifted flour, soda, salt, milk, rhubarb and vanilla. Pour into a 9 inch by 13 inch (23 cm by 33 cm) pan. Top batter with mixture of 1/2 cup (120 mL) sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Bake at 325°F (163°C) for 50 minutes.

Rhubarb Buttermik Cake

Rhubarb needs no added moisture to make a cake, so to get great flavor, I use powdered buttermilk (available at health food stores or in the powdered milk section of the grocery). This makes one 8 by 8 inch cake of 16 pieces:

Rhubarb.jpg

1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts

11/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour

½ tsp. baking soda

¼ cup buttermilk powder

3 cups diced rhubarb

1/3 cup honey

1 Tbsp. oil

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil an 8 by 8 by 2 inch square pan lightly. Sprinkle about half the chopped nuts over the bottom of the pan, and set aside.

Measure the flour, baking soda, and buttermilk powder into a medium bowl. Stir until well blended. Dice the rhubarb ¼ to ½ inch (to your taste, it does not need to be perfectly regular). Toss the rhubarb with the dry ingredients and set aside.

Measure 1/3 cup honey, and add the oil, egg, and vanilla to it right in the measuring cup. Stir together well, then scrape it out over the rhubarb mixture. Toss and stir until ingredients are thoroughly moistened. The mixture will be stiff.

Spoon the mixture into the pan, being careful to distribute evenly over the nuts without disturbing them. Push down and smooth over the top. Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the top, and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake tests done.

Let rest in the pan 10 minutes to cool, then slice 4 times each direction and remove the pieces to a rack with a spatula. Serve warm, or let cool thoroughly and then store in an airtight container. This resists becoming soggy, but it is best eaten the first or second day.

Rhubarb Roly-Poly

This is great for breakfast or a not-too-sweet dessert. The recipe makes a 5 by 9 inch loaf.

Dough:

1 cup warm water

1 Tbsp. yeast

1 tsp. honey

1 egg

½ tsp salt

¼ cup oil

1/3 cup honey

¼ cup milk powder

2 Tbsp. soy flour

1 Tbsp. gluten flour (opt.)

3-4 cups bread flour

Filling:

¼ cup honey

2 cups diced rhubarb (¼ to ½ inch)

In a large bowl, proof the yeast with the honey in the warm water. When the yeast foams, add the egg, salt, oil, and honey. Mix together the milk powder, soy flour, gluten flour, and first 2 cups of bread flour. Add to the yeast mixture, and beat well until strands of gluten form. Add enough more bread flour to make a stiff dough. Cover and let rise for 1/2 hour while you dice the rhubarb. Dice the rhubarb ¼ to ½ inch. Don’t worry about making it regular. Pour the honey over it and stir. Set aside.

Lightly oil a 5 by 9 inch loaf pan. Set aside. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and springy, 5-7 minutes. Roll out to an oblong about 9 by 15 inches. Spread the rhubarb openly over the dough oblong, with its juice. Starting with a short edge, roll the dough up into a 9 inches long loaf. Place the loaf in the pan. Let rise until increased in bulk by 50%.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until the bread tests done.

RHUBARB BREAD PUDDING

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

4 Bread slices

3 tb Butter

1/2 c Sugar -- granulated

3/4 ts Cinnamon

3 c Rhubarb -- 1" pieces

Spread each slice of bread with 1 tsp of butter. Cut

buttered bread into 1/2" cubes. Combine sugar and

cinnamon. Arrange half of rhubarb in bottom of

greased 8" baking dish. Top with half of bread cubes

and half of sugar mixture. Repeat. Dot with remaining

butter. Cover and bake in 375F oven for 20 minutes,

uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or till lightly

browned.

Rhubarb Custard

Recipe Information

Source:

Diane

Serves/Makes:6 or more

Ingredients

* 2 eggs, separated (use egg whites for Meringue, yolks for custard)

* 2 cups (475 ml) milk

* 2 tbsp (30 ml). sugar

* Light Pastry

* Chopped Rhubarb

* Sugar

* Meringue

Preparation

* Make the custard by using the yolks of 2 eggs, milk and sugar.

* Line a deep pudding dish with a light pastry, and cover the bottom with a layer of chopped rhubarb, well rolled in sugar.

* Pour over this the custard and bake in a 325 degree (175 C.) oven until knife inserted just off center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.

* Make a meringue of the whites of the eggs, spread over the baked custard, brown lightly in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven, and seve hot or cold, as desired.

Comments

This recipe is from 1923.

SHAKER RHUBARB PIE

2 c. rhubarb, cut in 1 inch pieces

1 1/2 c. brown sugar

1 tbsp. flour

3 tbsp. butter

Pastry for 2 crusts

Combine rhubarb with sugar and flour, and turn into unbaked shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust, allowing steam vents and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes; lessen heat to 350 degrees and bake until well browned.

Pickled Rhubarb

8 cups [2 L] rhubarb dices*

4 cups [1 L] chopped onions

3 cups [750 mL] vinegar

6 cups [1.5 L] brown sugar

2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt

2 teaspoons [10 mL] cinnamon

1 teaspoon [5 mL] ground clove

1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper

Sterilized jars

Rinse, dice and measure rhubarb.

Into a large casserole, mix together rhubarb dices, chopped onions, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground clove and pepper; simmer for 90 minutes, stirring often.

Cool before pouring into sterilized jars.

Seal and store into a dry, cool environment.

At this very moment, we are making rhubarb muffins. The recipe came from

http://homemade.truepath.com/rhubarb.htm

I've been making them for 10 years. If you use dried buttermilk, the whole recipe uses long shelf life products.

Rhubarb Crunch Muffins

Kathie in AZ

Mix:

3/4 c. brown sugar

1/3 c. oil

1/2 c. buttermilk

1 t. vanilla

Add:

1 1/2 c. flour

1/2 t. soda

1/2 t. salt

Fold in:

1/2 c. chopped nuts

1 c. finely chopped rhubarb

Divide batter between 12 greased muffin cups.

Mix Topping:

1/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 t. cinnamon

1/4 c. chopped nuts

Sprinkle topping on muffin dough and bake 350* for 25-30 minutes.

Old Pine likes rhubarb, but I don't.

When I do make it for him, it is usually just a sauce. Cooked like SueC said.

I'll see if I can find the recipe my sister used for her dessert though. smile

Ok I finally had a few minutes to get my recipe out.

Rhubarb Oat Bars

1-1/2 chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb ( I put mine in the food processor and chop it really fine)

1 cup packed brown sugar divided in 1/2

4 tbs water divided

1 tsp lemon juice (or just use fruit fresh to keep it from turning brown when cooked)

3/4 cup flour

4tsp cornstarch

1/2 coconut (I love coconut so I always add more)

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup butter, melted

Combine rhubarb, 1/2 brown sugar, and 3 tbs water and lemon juice in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat cook and stir for 4-5 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth and gradually stir into rhubarb. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes until thickened.. Set aside

In large bowl combine oats, flour, coconut, salt, and remaining brown sugar. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly.

Press half mixture into a greased 8inch square baking pan. Spread rhurbarb mixture. Then add remaining oat mixture to the top.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and voila!

Eat warm with ice cream or cooled.

• 3 years later...

Archived